WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings All,

I have a question regarding a Vulcain Cricket (Grand Prix Movement - 17 Jewel Manual Wind Alarm - center second hand).

The watch works and holds time but it I hold the watch in the 12 O'Clock up position (it happens in every position exept the Dial Up/Dial Down Position), the second hand will begin to skip (not move smoothly and sometimes stop and then jump a few seconds) after the second hand passes the 2 O'Clock position. This stopping/jumping keeps going on until the seond hand passes the 6 O'Clock position - after that it will move smoothly.

I heard this is a problem that occurs in many other watches, but I've not read what is the cause of this. I'm assuming that this something minor since the watch never stops running on a full wind.

Any watchmakers out there know what this is a symptom off or what the fix could be?

Any comments are welcome.

Regards,

J-P

All the while, the watch never stops functioning - and this stumpl

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I cannot help you with your problem, but I would like to welcome you to the forum. Someone will be around to help you shortly.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I had this very same issue with an Android Mega Cocoon watch. It had a Miyota 8215 movement (indirect sweep second design) and I was told by the people at Android that this trait was common in these types of movements, but it had no ill effect on timekeeping. In fact, a few months ago, ShopNBC had Wing Liang (CEO of Android) state that this was not a defect and that it was a characteristic of that particular movement.

Truth be told, not all Miyota 8215 movements will exhibit this trait. I have an Invicta 8926 that does not have the erratic sweep that my Android watch had, although the second hand on my Invicta does momentarily stop if you bump or tap the watch hard enough. Still, it won't affect the watch's timekeeping accuracy. From what I've learned it all has to do with the amount of backlash between the sweep pinion and the third wheel driving it. The brake spring doesn't provide enough tension to hold the pinion steady under all conditions, so if you tilt the watch or give it a jolt or tap the watch, the second hand may stutter and skip until it catches up with where it's supposed to be.

Again, it does not affect the actual timekeeping of the watch, but it does look retarded and can be quite annoying to look at. Most of the time, it'll go unnoticed while on your wrist unless you take the time and look at the second hand sweep around the dial. Android offered to adjust it for me, but I ended up returning the watch. Now, I'm not familiar with the Grand Prix movement on your Vulcain, but chances are that it may be an indirect sweep seconds design.

The link below may help in understanding why this "stutter" occurs in indirect second watch designs.

http://members.iinet.net.au/~fotoplot/invicta/invicta.html

·
Registered
16,752 Posts
If this is a Miyota movement, it is very common. You can even cause the second hand to stop by tapping your watch. But it will catch up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Viper - thanks for the information and the site link - this was very good info. I'll check the movement and see if it uses and indirect second hand. I'd guess that it probably does. Regards, J-P

·
Registered
16,752 Posts
Does hthe 7750 wobble because of the rotor weight or what?
The rotor in the 7750 is very heavy. It doesn't actually wobble. The term refers to the vibration you occassionally feel on your wrist when the rotor spins. Interesting sensation.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts