WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone!

Regarding screw-down crowns, I am wondering how many complete (if in fact even one) turns AFTER the threads are engaged should a crown turn before it becomes snug? I have an Omega and it seems almost right after the threads engage it becomes snug; maybe 1/2 turn. I took it to Omega, ahd it overhauled, including the crown, and then had it looked at by a local jeweler who works on many high end watches and they though it was OK. I also have a Luminox with the same issue. Also had a Tag Heuer that screwed in very smooth; about 3 revolutions before snugging down. I realise different watch brands are going to have different tolerances, but I'm more concerned about the Omega.

Does this seem normal?

Thanks,
Dan

·
Banned
28,291 Posts
I guess it depends on how far the threaded tube sticks out of the side of the case and how steep the angle of the threads are. If it seals correctly than don't fret over it anymore. I've owned different cars that took different amount of steering wheel revolutions to go from full right turn to full left turn. Didn't affect the ride at all so I didn't question it.

·
Banned
28,291 Posts
how do you know when that is?
Fair question. You could (a) dunk it in the ocean by tying it onto your leader near your dipsey the next time you go fishing or (b) take it to somewhere that can pressure test it.

I recommend option (b). :wink: However, if you use option (a) I recommend using a dropper loop for quick connect / disconnect ability. :laugh:

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
But doesn't a pressure test risk the watch also?

The way I understand it, the watch is immersed in a small amount of water, and then air pressure is applied over to simulate the depth. After, the watch has to be evaluated for water incursion - is that correct?

·
Super Moderator
16,575 Posts
There's some risk if the test is done improperly, I suppose. But from what I read, the test is a 2-step process. The first is to test the watch dry and then evaluate it. If it passes the dry test, THEN it gets immersed in water and a second evaluation is performed..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.