WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that John has written about how to remove the scratches from the seamaster clasp with a scotch-brite sponge which I will be doing soon. However, my watch is the 2200.51.00 which has a stainless steel bracelet. Is it possible to approach the bracelet, or even consider taking scracthes off, with a scoth brite sponge? Also, if it is allowed would one do it with the grain gently like John describes?

I have had my watch for less than a week and it is already scratched. I am betting it is because of my wrist touching the desk while I type.

·
Registered
6,084 Posts
:)well Mike,

yes you can. I believe i would practice on the clasp first and get the technique down, it takes a bit of practice. go easy, take no more than you have to.. then i might try to smooth as small of an area as possible on the bracelet with the grain. your P.O. doesn't have any shiny bits in the bracelet, right? it is just satin, right?

when I clean up my clasp i actually deploy the divers extension and grasp the clasp where the bracelet joins it (to isolate my bracelet) and actually move the clasp across the pad lying on the table. I kind of use my thumb as a guide along the edge of the pad to keep the new brushed lines as straight as possible..

I also want to purchase a scratch pen. Bergeon makes one that works well I hear for taking out scratches of the bracelet very precisely..

lots of ways to keep the bracelet and clasp fresh, if you need any help, please ask..:thumbup1:

:):)
diver88

BTW , I practiced on an older, less expensive bracelet first..

·
Banned
18,138 Posts
Mike

You'll get them out fairly easily from what I gather. I've never been one to take metal to any watch though but once you've picked up the courage to do it, it is apparently quite a piece of cake.

Wish you well

and

Have a nice day

ZIN

·
Registered
81 Posts
The Seamaster clasp is notorious for picking up scratches. I noticed a couple within a few days of owning my watch, and was tempted to try and remove them using the recommended methods. A few days later and there were yet more scratches. In the end I just let the scratches build up, and although they are ugly at first they look OK once there's lots of them, and even add a bit of character to the watch.

Clean the clasp once, and before you know know it you will be cleaning it every other day. Longer term you're likely to become a Scotch-Brite addict, and find yourself rushing out of meetings just to give your clasp a quick polish!

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Mike, the first thing I would do is to try and live with the scratches. It's hard to see them on your new expensive watch, but unless you keep it locked away and never wear it. But where is the fun in that? Perhaps only give your watch the treatment once or twice a year, or else those scratches will consume you and before you know it, your clasp will be wafer thin due to all the rubbing.

But, if you must try and remove the scratches, always cover the polished parts with Sellotape (Scotchtape) and as soon as you see it starting to wear through, remove it and replace it.

I would also recommend looking at JBHII's Seamaster and Rolex Reference Pages for tips. And my favourite guide to use is Mason Allerby's on TZ. Just do a search over there for Mason Allerby and click on his name within his signature. It's a fantastic read and has loads of photos. He has used a Dremmel for getting rid of scratches, but the basic principle can be applied to almost any method you use.

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
The Seamaster clasp is notorious for picking up scratches. I noticed a couple within a few days of owning my watch, and was tempted to try and remove them using the recommended methods. A few days later and there were yet more scratches. In the end I just let the scratches build up, and although they are ugly at first they look OK once there's lots of them, and even add a bit of character to the watch.

Clean the clasp once, and before you know know it you will be cleaning it every other day. Longer term you're likely to become a Scotch-Brite addict, and find yourself rushing out of meetings just to give your clasp a quick polish!
LOL:biggrin: There is an element of true here.:lol:

I would suggest a variation of the above and treat the watch to a de-scratching once a year because you will never enjoy it if you worry about every scratch.

·
Registered
129 Posts
i agree that scratches are just part of life for my smp. i just consider them badges of honor :)

it is my daily wearer and it is part of the character of the watch....sort of like leather having natural scratches and marks.

congrats on your purchase and wear it with pride mike.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You guys have brought up a good point. I have just had the watch for a week, if I start trying to make it look new everyday I am going to be left with no watch at all. I will live with it just fine. Perhaps I will take you up on the advice and simply try to take some scratches off once a year. Thank you very much for all of the advice.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hello there.. I got the same concern with my SMP, but you just have to get used to it... besides that shows you are a proud user of the watch... and as many here will say... J.Bond would never take the watch from his wrist, not even for a scratch problem.

Cheers,

MVF

·
Banned
9,123 Posts
MovieFreak:

Well said! Behind every scratch is a fond memory!

BTW, I noticed you have one post, so Welcome to WTF!!! Look at my next post for my standard welcome to new members!!!

:)

·
Banned
9,123 Posts
Here it is: Again Welcome to WTF!

No doubt you will find this board quite interesting, as we have multiple forums, each with its own bunch of characters.

Have you seen our FAQ yet? http://watchtalkforums.info/forums/f...splay.php?f=12

Take about 30 seconds to read, and explains the forum.

If you are intersted in posting pictures, and we love to post here, check out Mr. Houston's Quick and Easy way to post. Guaranteed Success!!

POSTING PICS

Posting pictures is very easy. Here's what you do -

1. Register with a picture host like photobucket.com
This is a free service for up to 1,000 images.

2. Once registered, use the choose or browse function on your photobucket homepage to locate the image you wish to post, from your hard drive

PLEASE REMEMBER to set the maximum size of the image
800 x 600 is best
Anything else would make viewing and accessing the page for users difficult.

3. Click SELECT and then UPLOAD

4. Once uploaded, simply copy the fourth option under each image on your photobucket homepage and paste it into the body of your text here. This fourth link is the Image Tag.

If you have any questions at all, you have a few options too:

Just post a thread and ask! We answer a wide range here and everyone is willing to help anyone out. For stuff not covered by watches, you can post in the Community Forum.

You can also send an Administrator/Moderator a PM (Private Message) to do that, just click on the person's name, and then select private message.

So, put your seat back in an upright position, tray back in place, and strap yourself in and enjoy WTF!!!

·
Banned
18,138 Posts
LOL Time pal

Mr Movie has been with us back in the ole' house. Having said that I'm sure he enjoyed the warm welcome you provided. Did you offer him a glass of California's finest? :biggrin::biggrin:

Hey Movie

Good to see you here. If you'd like your post count updated to include all your fine efforts in the ole' WTF, just PM John.

Be well now pals

ZIN

·
Registered
6,084 Posts
:) hey Movie,

good to see you again:thumbup1:

on scratches,

my Omegas are far from scratch free but I do every 2 to 4 weeks a little maintainence to just keep from letting it get out of hand.

by doing this I also am more aware of not scratching it. I never actually remove anything measurable... just redirecting the errant scratches in a controlled manner..;)

:):)
diver88:blink:

·
Registered
138 Posts
My seamaster (acquired in March this year) already has a collage of scratches and scrape marks going every which way. Unfortunately, the depth of each scratch also varies greatly, with some seeping deeply into the clasp metal. I tried the Scott-Brite sponge pad method, and find it only helps to eliminate those hair-thin surface scratches.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.