WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just noticed what looks like a hairline scratch on the glass of my SMP 2254.50.

The watch is not even one year old and I have been wearing it under "normal" conditions.

The scratch itself is difficult to see (and hence impossible to photograph with my average camera and skills) but under strong light you can just make it out. However, it really bothers me that what should be scratchproof has picked up a minor scratch and I haven't even subjected the watch to any extremes. I'm not sure if Omega will see this as a problem or be interested in trying to correct it. Perhaps I'm being over-sensitive to something that should be accepted as normal wear and tear.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Any recommendations?

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
Sorry to hear about that my friend.

Sapphire while scratch-resistant can be scratched by diamond or another sapphire. Why don't you take it in to an AD and see what they think of it? If nothing can be done about it and it is hardly visible you may be able to put it out of your mind in time.

Be well now

ZIN

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Photo of scratch

Thanks Zin.

I've managed to take a quick snap that accentuates the scratch - acheived by side lighting and holding my camera veeeeery still while in macro mode and flash disabled. You can clearly see a vertical scratch right beneath the O from Omega.

The scratch isn't as bad as it looks in the pic, but it's really bugging me. I've not knowingly been near any diamonds or had any knocks against other sapphire crystals. Besides, I've owned a couple of other watches with sapphire crystals and never had a problem with scratching.

I'll have it checked out by a dealer and see what they say.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
:)

Mr Phrooq,

sorry for your trouble.

let me ask please, can you catch the scratch with your fingernail or feel it in anyway? I"m sure you tried this already, but could it just be something on it?

I recently thought I had a scratch but cleaned the crystal very well and did away with it..I really thought it was scratched.

one thing that used to scratch my mineral crystals was brick walls, nasty devils they are. if indeed you do have this scratch its in about the same place I used to get mine..

maybe Omega can give you some idea,

that first scratch is very hard, we all feel your pain. it will work out.

diver88:):)

·
Registered
748 Posts
I would also suggest a thorough cleaning with 90+% Isopropyl alcohol and lens papers to be sure it is in fact a scratch.

Hard water stains (splashed from washing your hands) can make rather tenacious marks that can sometimes look ,like scratches...

Those brick walls will scratch sapphire just fine too...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to everyone for the tips. I have tried giving the glass a good clean without any success. I tried running my fingernail over it, and I can definitely feel something. It's most probably a scratch, but a very minor one. I used to have a Tag that I never took off my wrist, and it took such a beating whilst mountain biking, climbing, running, etc. Not a single scratch! With my Omega, I've taken so much care, and don't even wear it when I sleep. There must be a moral to this story, but I can't quite figure it out yet.

I'll just have to get a new watch. Planet Ocean? Speedy Sapphire Sandwich?

·
Registered
748 Posts
Well, I love the Planet Ocean, but the AR coating on the sapphire is easier to scratch than the sapphire itself...

It can be buffed off as someone here did if it gets too 'ratty'; however I have been able to keep mine pristine so far...

·
Registered
822 Posts
Rather than get a new watch, you can probably get the crystal replaced for around 15% of the price of a new one. Why don't you bring it to your AD have have them price it, then you can go from there. This watch is a classic and that would be a shame.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
:) Mr Phrooq,

I'm sure after a while you won't even notice the scratch, it's just that first one. so yes I agree, you must reward your sensibilities with a new watch to get you past the worrying stage.:wink:

I would recommend the Speedy Sapphire Sandwich since you already have a beautiful and very adequate diver in the 2254.50 :thumbup1:, this should help balance your collection just a bit. although, if you really like the Diver's type watch, the P.O. is just stunning on the wrist.

and please have your AD take a look at the scratch, there may be a solution.

best of luck, we'll hope for the best:thumbup:

diver88:):)

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Mr Phrooq,

I hope you manage to sort this out easily.

Please let us know how you get on and if you work out how you did it please let us know that too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts