WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
guilty until proven innocent....... guilt by association...

Baloney. No proof whatsoever, just name calling by the big bad former GOP senator and the underlings who are involved with "he said, she said'. All hearsay. Show me the money or in this case, show me the lab tests and where in the rule books it said you could not do it. Nothing was ever done until 2002.

Sour grapes and innuendo. A whisper campaign by fools.

·
Banned
9,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Koimaster: Valid points. Guilty in public court; but, yet to be tried. I would be interested to see what, if anything, will be done about this, and the entire scandal in MLB.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Koimaster: Valid points. Guilty in public court; but, yet to be tried. I would be interested to see what, if anything, will be done about this, and the entire scandal in MLB.
Reminds me of that poor guy during the Olympics in Atlanta a few years back. The press killed him led by Fraud news and others. Yet it turned out to be a zealot who did it.

I think fools like Mitchell should be horse whipped. He named names and when confronted used the excuse that it was not a legal proceeding.

·
Banned
9,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The person you mentioin was Richard Jewell, a security guard who, I beleive, saw the bomb, and got people out calling the cops in the process. He was credited with saving lives, well received in the media, until he was named a suspect, and then he was tried and convicted in the public media. For years, he maintained his innocence, and after quite a few years, an arrest was made, and his name was cleared. I beleive it was Eric Rudolph who then confessed to these crimes, and others, and was given life instead of the death penalty in exchange for his guilty plea.

After this, Richard Jewel did file lawsuits against the media, and some of them were settelled. I am unsure if there were any brought against the government.

Now, with that said, I feel this Mitchell report is somewhat different. Here is why:

- MLB asked Mitchell to look into this for them.
- Atlanta was a federal investigatiion, the above was not.
- All the 'evidence' off this report was taken not under oath, and was not part of a criminal investigation
- Atlanta was an investigation and statements, evidence, etc., was used to bring forth charges against suspects
- Aside from Bonds, there has been no real invesigation, and very few charges. Not many federal resources are being used to investigate the steroids.
- Atlanta had used numerous federal resources
- The Mitchell Report was a 'fact finding' investigation and is prefaced by the fact that it was not an investigation, and was only going by what other teammates had to say. No charges would come of this; but, more investigations could follow. This was more exploratory than anything, and did not use state/federal resources, law enforcement officials for the report/investigation.
- Atlanta was an investigation, and hard evidence was collected for a conviction. It was not exploratory in nature.

·
Registered
646 Posts

·
Banned
9,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Exactly, this whole steroids thing is ridiculous.
As a nation, we've got lots bigger fish to fry.
True; but, at the same time, if there is an illegal operation that is bigger than MLB (suppliers, drugs, themselves, shady doctors, etc.), than that does need to be investigated. Who knows how far it stretches? College, high schools? Overseas? And what is it funding? I feel this is the tip of the iceberg.

·
Banned
9,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Richard Jewell did get $500k from NBC, and an undiclosed amount from the
New York Post.
http://www.cnn.com/US/9701/03/olympic.bombing/

Sadly, Mr. Jewell died about four months ago.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/30/us/30jewell.html?hp

It's a shame that he was treated the way he did for doing the right thing. Regardless if the FBI thought him a suspect or not, I don't think he deserved the media feeding frenzy. And the news media wonders why most people hold them in such low regard...
It does not mention his cause of death. Poor man probably died of a broken heart, knowing he was innocent; but, was convicted in the court of public opion.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts