WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

Is the SBGE001 GMT considered a Divers Watch?
I say no because it has a uni directional bezel and no Divers bracelet
My friends say yes, what do you guys think?

Thank You for your input,
Traintime

·
Banned
1,393 Posts
Hi Everyone,

Is the SBGE001 GMT considered a Divers Watch?
I say no because it has a uni directional bezel and no Divers bracelet
My friends say yes, what do you guys think?

Thank You for your input,
Traintime

The 24 hour lumed sapphire bezel actually has 60 clicks, so it is possible to use it for timing purposes. The case of this watch is rated to 200m or 20 bar and has a solid case back and screw down crown at 4 o'clock. This model follows on Seiko's diver watch DNA.

The hands, dial markers and bezel have crazy bright and long lasting lume.

I do know someone that has actually dived while wearing it. The only caveat of this model is the non-adjustable bracelet clasp.

Mine says hi:

·
Registered
260 Posts
I'm curious why you would ask that question? To me, a "dive watch" would be one with which you could time your dive, see in murky conditions, which has adequate WR.

This is not marketed as a dive watch, but it certainly is similar in appearance, and has similar utility.

If you like it, and its utility, what difference does it make whether others think it's a "dive watch"?

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
Hi Traintime,

I dont think SBGE001 was designed as a dive watch anymore then the Rolex GMT Master II. It does however have very respectable WR specs with nice lume. You can certainly dive with it although the bracelet may not be dive suit friendly. It's also a great watch to own, so go for it if you are thinking about it. :thumbup1:

Cheers!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 24 hour lumed sapphire bezel actually has 60 clicks, so it is possible to use it for timing purposes. The case of this watch is rated to 200m or 20 bar and has a solid case back and screw down crown at 4 o'clock. This model follows on Seiko's diver watch DNA.

The hands, dial markers and bezel have crazy bright and long lasting lume.

I do know someone that has actually dived while wearing it. The only caveat of this model is the non-adjustable bracelet clasp.

Mine says hi:

Thanks for your input minidriver, I dont believe it has a solid case back (like the marinemaster 001)
but, it is a great looking watch, Enjoy Yours:biggrin:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Traintime,

I dont think SBGE001 was designed as a dive watch anymore then the Rolex GMT Master II. It does however have very respectable WR specs with nice lume. You can certainly dive with it although the bracelet may not be dive suit friendly. It's also a great watch to own, so go for it if you are thinking about it. :thumbup1:

Cheers!
Hi Bullosa,

I do own it as well as the 029 Diver, 001 Hi-Beat and a couple of Marinemasters
Thanks for your reply,
Traintime

·
Banned
1,393 Posts
Thanks for your input minidriver, I dont believe it has a solid case back (like the marinemaster 001)
Sure it does have a nice solid case back with the finely engraved GS lion log:

(Borrowed pic)

·
Banned
1,393 Posts
I'm curious why you would ask that question? To me, a "dive watch" would be one with which you could time your dive, see in murky conditions, which has adequate WR.

This is not marketed as a dive watch, but it certainly is similar in appearance, and has similar utility.

If you like it, and its utility, what difference does it make whether others think it's a "dive watch"?

Although it is not marketed as a dive watch, the case design, 4 o'clock crown and 200m WR make it suitable for air diving. What I think it limits it in this function is the non-ratcheted, non-adjustable bracelet clasp.

I don't dive and don't submerge my watches in water, so I don't necessarily care, but I think the SBGE001 could be used if to this end.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sure it does have a nice solid case back with the finely engraved GS lion log:

(Borrowed pic)

I'm not sure what you mean by a solid case back, To me it would have to be like Seiko's Marine Master
SBDX001 which can not be removed from the back, only from the front of the watch, The GMT opens from
the back, see the Spanner notches, unless you mean it's solid not a see through sapphire crystal, then I see your point.

Thank you for your reply,
Traintime:001_smile:

·
Banned
1,393 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by a solid case back, To me it would have to be like Seiko's Marine Master
SBDX001 which can not be removed from the back, only from the front of the watch, The GMT opens from
the back, see the Spanner notches, unless you mean it's solid not a see through sapphire crystal, then I see your point.

Thank you for your reply,
Traintime:001_smile:

I think you maybe confused with the terminology being used. A "Solid case back" is being referred as a solid metal screw down cover (With no exhibition or "see-through" crystal) which is commonly used in most watches and can be removed to access the movement from the back of the watch. The Seiko Prospex Marine Master 300m uses what is called a "Monocoque" case which is a single piece case structure that has no case back or access point from the rear of the watch. To service and access the movement in the MM300, timing bezel, crystal and dial must be removed from the front of the watch.

Here is the back of the MM300 (Borrowed pic from Matt V):

Just to clarify, the GS 200m diver's (SBGA029 and SBGA031) have solid removable screw down case backs. The GS Divers and quite possibly the SBGE001 can be used as "Air diver's". Meanwhile the Prospex professional line of diver's (Which have increased water depth ratings) can be used with breathing apparatus and oxygen tank gear.

If you do serious diving (Desk diving doesn't count), then save your money and look exclusively at the Prospex professional diving watches, like the Tunas, MM300 and MM600 Spring Drive GMT 600m Gas-He diver.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Super looking watch Frank, congrats on the pick-up...The MM001 actually doesn't have

a standard caseback which is removable, as the case is a solid 1 piece case structure, some call it "monocoque" which by definition is the wrong term to use for the watch case and design IMO, as the term applies to the stress and load burden capability of the outer case body or structure of an item, it just doesn't fit the topic of design of what some talk about as (case structure) regarding the reasoning for the lack of a standard caseback. The MM SBDX001 case and caseback is one piece of Solid S. Steel but doesn't have the common removable slotted caseback that other divers watches have by design.

The Model Minidriver has is one very unique watch & I'm sure the SBGE001 can stand up to the rigors of the undersea world just as good as other dedicated divers watches, with cudos given to bullosa regarding the bracelet, as that is the part that wouldnt be as fitting for a diver wearing a thick 4-8mm wetsuit.

Cheers & good thread, :thumbup1:
Jim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts