WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband had his deceased father's spaceview and loved it. It was stolen from his car in high school and he has always wanted to replace it. I purchased the 40th anniversary spaceview for $1k new in 2004....bought the twotone one since it most resembled his watch. Nothing but trouble. Sent it back twice and received just the stainless back and then finally just given credit as they can't fix it.

So now I have $950 credit with Bulova. Ideas for him? Thinking Kirkwood 63A001 as it's skeleton. he also likes the Gemini 63C009.

In the meantime, our 20th is approaching in 2 years and I'm going to hunt down a spaceview for him. His was more two-tone looking with the cool green insides...although I think his metal band was aftermarket, the original band was perhaps leather. He does prefer the metal bands. Is there a 'spaceview 101' I can read up on so I know what to look for so I know I'm getting the real deal and not pieced together parts? I have no idea what year his father's watch was but guessing it was late 60s. I have also seen online the $4k 2010 which looks to be closer than the one I purchased and I think it hums too. But it's salty $$ and no metal band and I'm gun shy on the new purchase again. But I have read [here] that you can get it for less [$3k]...willing to consider it.

Thanks.

Trish

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Sounds like your husband is a lucky man.
I know nothing about the newer Spaceviews, the Anniversary models, so can't help you there. I like the old ones too much to get into the new ones.
I wish there was a Spaceview 101 or even a book one could read but there isn't and trying to find an original can be a challenge. On the other hand, many of us think that there is nothing very wrong with a good conversion. I would guess that 95% + of the Spaceviews on Ebay are conversions.
Conversions are usually not a lot of parts thrown together. One just takes a 214 model Accutron watch and takes out the dial and puts in a spacer and a Spaceview crystal. I suspect that your husband would be thrilled with just about any Spaceview.
Don't use a metal bracelet with a gold cased Spaceview, they require a soft material.
Accutrons are great old watches, I have about 40 of them and, once they are properly adjusted, they can be accurate to about 6 seconds per day and they require a battery about once per year. The experts recommend having them serviced about every 5 years but I have some that have gone a lot longer than than and are accurately toiling away.
There are people here who know a lot more than I do and maybe they will add some of their knowledge.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. One that appeals to me is the picture that shows up when I come here...has

a nice band. i know he doesn't like the leather bands for some reason and his father's had a metal band.

So a good conversion is ok. I've done a tiny bit of reading on here was just hoping for an 'easy' button...everything i need to know to purchase in one place. LOL.

I'll keep learning. Thanks so much.

Trish

·
Registered
247 Posts
My husband had his deceased father's spaceview and loved it. It was stolen from his car in high school and he has always wanted to replace it. I purchased the 40th anniversary spaceview for $1k new in 2004....bought the twotone one since it most resembled his watch. Nothing but trouble. Sent it back twice and received just the stainless back and then finally just given credit as they can't fix it.

So now I have $950 credit with Bulova. Ideas for him? Thinking Kirkwood 63A001 as it's skeleton. he also likes the Gemini 63C009.

In the meantime, our 20th is approaching in 2 years and I'm going to hunt down a spaceview for him. His was more two-tone looking with the cool green insides...although I think his metal band was aftermarket, the original band was perhaps leather. He does prefer the metal bands. Is there a 'spaceview 101' I can read up on so I know what to look for so I know I'm getting the real deal and not pieced together parts? I have no idea what year his father's watch was but guessing it was late 60s. I have also seen online the $4k 2010 which looks to be closer than the one I purchased and I think it hums too. But it's salty $$ and no metal band and I'm gun shy on the new purchase again. But I have read [here] that you can get it for less [$3k]...willing to consider it.

Thanks.

Trish
Welcome! Was/am in almost the same boat as you though I didn't have any historical attachement to the Spaceview Accutron till I saw a posted picture of one these beauties and I really wanted one. Checked the vintage sections and saw there is lots to learn before buying a vintage factory original Accutron since an looking at a watch I can enjoy as well as have some potential for not loosing money and if am lucky, some investment potential. To quench my thirst for now, settled for the two 50th Anniv ones (ones for my baby son for his 2010 birthyear). Makes me really happy looking at it, some pics of it here http://www.watchtalkforums.info/forums/bulova-accutron-forum/55573.htm. If I were in your place and can extend your budget a bit, then look for either a vintage factory original spaceview or settle for the 50th Anniv one to play it safe. Offcourse, if you don't want to extend yourself and are fine with a conversion, which still looks beautiful, there are lots around and aslong as you don't pay the price of a factory original for a conversion all Spaceview love is good!

PS: About 50th Accutron Spaceview prices, if you look for a preowned one which is on open auction on ebay, you might snap yourself a real deal, even for less than 3k, note that the warranty is only valid for the first owner but don't think these will break soon. A brand new one with a dealer will start at about 3k but the current ones available today on ebay are in the 3.7K rages, just watch them and if some dealers have new stock they want to offload in a hurry on ebay and start with a "open auction"/"make an offer" rather than only a "buy it now" price, you could get a great price on new too. Also I have heard the lower serial number ones out of 1000 are more in demand by collectors than the higher serial ones though I won't really worry about that too much. I have got a 714/1000 and a 78/1000 though. Let us know how you go.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Also if you find a new 50th Spaceview at a good price like +/- 3k with a dealer, ask the dealer if you can use the $950 refund you got, that would work best for you I guess since you have to use the refund too!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts