WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if anyone knows a reputable place to purchase a used speedmaster.

I'm honestly not sure if I should buy new or used. My biggest fear for buying used is that I'll be sold a fake version.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Greetings.. welcome to the forum..

Your question is rather timely. Being I just purchased a used one. Mine is a Speedmaster Reduced, it is approx. 39mm vs. 42 mm.

Your best bet is a Authorized Dealer! I purchased mine from a Watch Repair - Jewelry Store, so I did feel very comfortable with it and it's service record. Plus, it came with a 1 year warranty. The owner opened the case for me, and I could see the Caliber 1140 movement.

If you buy used from a dealer, be sure to ask about a warranty and service record. I hear these watches are expensive to service.

Best

Bob

·
Banned
60 Posts
Some of you may disagree, but...

I've had pretty good luck buying from Ebay and other sources. There are some great deals to be had if you are willing to take a slight chance. Seller feedback will generally tell the story, and if there are any problems, Paypal will get your money back. The last watch I picked up was a 1969 145.022 working all the way and just needing a crystal, for a little under 1k. Even if it needed service, that would be a lot of watch for the money, and it is from the Apollo era. Do your homework, and your experience should be positive.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah there are some good deals on Ebay, but sometimes I'm skeptical.

What about WatchMaxx? Is that a reputable seller? Their prices seem to be very low (only 3200 for a new Speedmaster Professional).

·
Banned
60 Posts
I would say

that watch is completely fine. The seller has good feedback, and I didn't see anything sketchy in his recent feedback. With that said, it should be noted that not all feedback that appears to be great is equal on Ebay. I learned in recent months that there are sellers who will create a feedback history by making multiple accounts and by having others pretend to buy items and leave feedback. For some reason, I have seen this a lot with Canadian sellers, but I'm sure it happens in the US. I would recommend taking a good close look at feedback left for and by the seller when you're considering a purchase of this magnitude. If they have been on Ebay for several years and are getting good feedback from a variety of good buyers, I would have no problem buying from them. Sure Ebay has some shady sellers, and it seems to be worse now that the economy is bad, but the vast majority of long-time Ebayers are legit, in my experience, and I have twelve years and several accounts worth of experience on Ebay. You should have no trouble finding and excellent, like new 3570 for 2500 or less, with papers and all. You'll find there are a lot of Speedmasters out there for sale, but the demand is always strong, which I think is a great sign for collectors and lovers of these watches. As for retailers...they may be slightly safer to deal with, but you'll probably pay at least a few hundred extra for that experience. I always prefer to buy used...whether it be a car or a watch. I do not like depreciation. Just use some care, and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, and that seller seems to live in Miami, so I can go pick it up locally and inspect it myself.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Never mind, I got outbid and it went all the way up to $3000 - totally not worth it.

I could probably buy a new one for that kind of money.

·
Banned
60 Posts
The new ones are nice watches, but

if you get one with some history/age it may already have some value beyond its retail price. I watched a 1968 transitional 861 with the applied logo go for 1350 yesterday on Ebay. It needed very minor attention but would have worked just fine as it was, and it already has collector value. Any Speedmaster that has not been abused will last for decades, and the 861 models are not expensive to have serviced, parts are not tough to find, and they run forever. If I were watching my pennies yet wanted a Speedmaster Pro, I would definitely look at the late 60s early 70s cal 861 models. There are some great deals to be had for under 1500, and you can afford to have it serviced if you buy it for 1300. I should have bought that one myself.

·
Banned
60 Posts
And...

can someone please explain to me why anyone needs the original box for a vintage watch...or a new one for that matter? Do some guys put their watches back in the boxes every night then pretend they are new each morning?

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
can someone please explain to me why anyone needs the original box for a vintage watch...or a new one for that matter? Do some guys put their watches back in the boxes every night then pretend they are new each morning?
Need? Can't say I need it - but it is nice to have and does add a bit to the value.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts