WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's an interesting story you've likely already heard.

While filming "Drive" Ryan Gosling was asked for input as to the watch his character was to be wearing. In accordance with the novel the piece needed to be of heirloom quality, something timeless and classic that could almost fill the role of a costar. Gosling said he wanted to wear a Patek Phillipe. The director didn't see any current models fit for the role (poor eyesight?) so a replica model was invented for the purpose of the film:

Be it a fake or not, Gosling loved the watch and was allowed to keep one following the production.

·
Banned
28,345 Posts
That looks more like an IWC Portofino or the old Omega Aqua Terra to me. The subdial seconds is just added.

Oh, and this is a "prop" - not a "replica" or "fake" so let's not have anyone go there, k?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree with the IWC influences. I think it's interesting that the Patek name was important enough to the makers of the film that they couldn't just utilize an existing model of another watch company.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I wonder how PP felt about this.
Curious in this era of paid product placements in TV and movies that some studios will cover up the logo on a product (presumably because they haven't been paid), while another will artificially apply a logo to a "prop" (presumably without the consent of the supposed manufacturer).

Go figure!

·
Super Moderator
15,651 Posts
I wonder how PP felt about this...
The average joe is going to try and read what the dial says- not just sit and admire it. If I were PP I would simply remain quiet and see it as free advertising.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
The prop subdial is terrible!

Just ante up to PP and get great design and not some prop hack's interpretation. Sheesh!

·
Banned
28,345 Posts
Just ante up to PP and get great design and not some prop hack's interpretation. Sheesh!
I wouldn't doubt they did try to proposition PP for a watch and some money in return for a few gratuitous wrist shots in the movie. I also wouldn't be surprised if PP told them to go pound sand since they didn't need that kind of advertising nor did they want to pay for it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Kinda strange because in the movie Gosling was a mechanic moonlighting as a driver but he wears a Patek? Hollyywood I guess.:confused1:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Kinda strange because in the movie Gosling was a mechanic moonlighting as a driver but he wears a Patek? Hollyywood I guess.:confused1:
In the novel "Driver" was left his late fathers watch, though it wasn't explicitly stated in the film.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts