WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Heres a question that someone can hopefully answer.

I have fitted a 'good' coil to a 214, however it looses about 5 minutes every 30 minutes and by the morning the time is way off :cursing:

Any idea what could be causing this :sneaky2:

The watch has been serviced within the last 12 months, Im beat :crying:

All suggestions welcome

Thanks in advance

82 Posts
Most Accutron faults of the 'losing time' variety relate to something binding, tight or restricting the free movement of the wheels. Maybe the clutch on the centre-wheel or lube drying up..

Check particularly the centre-seconds pinion, its chaton for rusting/lack of lube.

The Accutron can generate a huge torque for its size, but there's only so much it can overcome!

Maybe there's some particles of metal flakes attached to the magnets of the fork restricting movement and altering frequency.--Coils out job to clean.....

Rodico helps here--Or at a push,-- plain old Blu-Tac to remove those shards and filings that always seem to attach to the fork magnets....

Worth checking the current consumption of the movement--should be below 7uA...Thats Micro Amps, Not Milli Amps, and at 1.55-1.60V

Check and re-set Indexing but doubt that is your problem, unless it was set wrongly or the finger-pressure was upset by bad handling of fork during coil change--usually Indexing issues cause triple-speed of movement....

Were the coils of the same series? ie, both 'three-wire or two-wire' coils sets?
--Which coil was it that you replaced?

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Were the coils of the same series? ie, both 'three-wire or two-wire' coils sets?
--Which coil was it that you replaced?
Thanks HCII

The watch was fitted with an incorrect 3 wire coil, I recently obtained a 'good' replacement 2 wire coil which was correct for the year of manufacture. The watch hums beautifully. After monitoring it for 5 minutes or so there would appear to be no loss of time, however over 30+ minutes you start noticing the - error rate of around 5 minutes.
A new battery was fitted and retested :cursing:

I have stripped the watch down again and I will attempt to cleanse the tuning fork, although even under a loupe it looks pretty sterile.

Thanks again :thumbup:

·
Registered
15 Posts
2 wire or 3 wire

http://members.iinet.net.au/~fotoplot/accphs.htm
Thanks HCII

The watch was fitted with an incorrect 3 wire coil, I recently obtained a 'good' replacement 2 wire coil which was correct for the year of manufacture. The watch hums beautifully. After monitoring it for 5 minutes or so there would appear to be no loss of time, however over 30+ minutes you start noticing the - error rate of around 5 minutes.
A new battery was fitted and retested :cursing:

I have stripped the watch down again and I will attempt to cleanse the tuning fork, although even under a loupe it looks pretty sterile.

Thanks again :thumbup:
There is no functional difference between a 2 wire or 3 wire coil set in a 214. I have replaced one with the other both ways many times with complete success. There are very few things that can cause a movement to lose that much. Binding in the wheel train, bad tuning fork, or foreign matter on the fork magnets or cups. Usually you may find a screw stuck to them or a piece of something that was picked up that has nothing to do with the watch, or possibly a bad index wheel, but a bad index wheel almost always makes the watch gain time.

The best way to diagnose the problem is to verify the tuning fork frequency is running at precisely 360 Hz using a Vibrograf B200A, M80 or M90, or equivalent timing machine that has tuning fork timing capability. If the tuning fork is running on time, that pretty much rules out any problem with the electronics and the tuning fork. That leaves only a mechanical problem. If the watch in question has a hack spring, be sure it is correctly adjusted.

It is necessary to have some special tools when servicing these watches. The hit and miss method will never work correctly, and I will say also that the method described in the Bulova factory service manual for the 214 won't work either since we can no longer get the old original mercury cells that were 1.35 volts. When phasing one of these watches to use the newer silver-oxide cell that is 1.55 volts, some very special techniques have been developed by expert Accutron repair people to cope with the increased voltage of these newer cells. There is a wealth of information available at The Accutron Watch Page here http://members.iinet.net.au/~fotoplot/acc.htm and a very complete detailed explanation of how to correctly phase a 214 and others here http://members.iinet.net.au/~fotoplot/accphs.htm.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
http://members.iinet.net.au/~fotoplot/accphs.htm

There is no functional difference between a 2 wire or 3 wire coil set in a 214. I have replaced one with the other both ways many times with complete success. There are very few things that can cause a movement to lose that much. Binding in the wheel train, bad tuning fork, or foreign matter on the fork magnets or cups. Usually you may find a screw stuck to them or a piece of something that was picked up that has nothing to do with the watch, or possibly a bad index wheel, but a bad index wheel almost always makes the watch gain time.

The best way to diagnose the problem is to verify the tuning fork frequency is running at precisely 360 Hz using a Vibrograf B200A, M80 or M90, or equivalent timing machine that has tuning fork timing capability. If the tuning fork is running on time, that pretty much rules out any problem with the electronics and the tuning fork. That leaves only a mechanical problem. If the watch in question has a hack spring, be sure it is correctly adjusted.

It is necessary to have some special tools when servicing these watches. The hit and miss method will never work correctly, and I will say also that the method described in the Bulova factory service manual for the 214 won't work either since we can no longer get the old original mercury cells that were 1.35 volts. When phasing one of these watches to use the newer silver-oxide cell that is 1.55 volts, some very special techniques have been developed by expert Accutron repair people to cope the the increased voltage of these newer cells. There is a wealth of information available at The Accutron Page here The Accutron Watch Pageand a very complete detailed explanation of how to correctly phase a 214 and others here http://members.iinet.net.au/~fotoplot/accphs.htm.
Thank you for the input, a wealth of information. Much appreciated :thumbup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts