WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The "rotating" timing bezel on this watch is NOT very easy to turn !

I just received this watch as a retirement gift which was purchased from Amazon.

I love the looks of it, and the automatic/self wind (no battery) feature... but what I like most in my watches is a rotating bezel for timing various things... I'm not a scuba diver, but I do time many things, especially when cooking, walking, or anything that needs to be timed within an hour or less.

I can barely get it to turn using two hands with the watch off of my wrist.

The write-up on Amazon says that it has a "... with a blue unidirectional rotating bezel with silver markings and coin-edged, scalloped highlights". "Coin-edged" would definitely help, but this watch does not have any coin-edged grooved slots around its circumference.

Does anyone else have an issue with the ease of turning the timing bezel ?

I plan on returning it, and getting the Invicta 89260B or the 89280B which are pictured with a true "coin-edged" bezel.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I just got a grand diver, my bezel is hard to turn also. Keep turning it, it will loosen up and get easier.

·
Registered
221 Posts
AirMojo, Welcome to WTF!!!!!

I would definitely recommend, doing a return for what you want.
Since it’s your retirement gift, and you worked hard for it, if you prefer the coin edge bezel, you should get it.

Again Welcome to WTF.

Tim

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Returned the 9094, and looking at the Invicta 1002...

Yeah, I returned it to Amazon while I still could.

Now looking at the Invicta 1002 Pro Diver Automatic... the bezel on that one looks like it should work just right... I also like the white face on it... and only costs $10 more than the 9094.

My every day watch is a Timex Expedition WR100M, and I replaced the rubber band with a metal bracelet... I previously tried two other Timex's that were suppose to have rotating bezels, and the ad blurb stated they were "unidirectional", but they were fixed non-moving decorative bezels (why bother?!).

I also like the Indiglo face... and the prices of them... I have a Timex Expedition with leather band that still works after 10 years with two battery changes and 3 replacement bands (keep wearing them out!).

I swore several years ago to never spend more than $50 for a watch, because they are too expensive to get fixed (had a Heurer Autavia chronograph automatc, and a Seiko chronograph (battery)... it was ridiculous estimate on getting them fixed!).

So watches seem to be throw-away items like most everything else.

I plan to save the Invicta 1002 for special events and outings... not for every day use where they take a beating !

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I received my Invicta 1002... really nice looking watch... BUT the bezel again is **** hard to turn... my fingers are sore from trying to turn it... I read where repeated turning will help loosen it up... a lot easier to turn wearing some leather gloves... but all that turning really did not help much.

Searched the internet some, and read where the "ratcheting" ring that has three upward finger springs can be bent down just a bit to make the bezel turn easier.

I used a blade from my Xacto knife (removed from the knife itself), and pried the bezel off. adjusted each finger spring down a bit, making note to start at the one to the right of the "pin" that fits into the hole in the case at 12 o'clock.

Make sure the ring's "pin" is sitting in the hole in the case, and press the bezel back on, starting at the 12 o'clock position, so the ring does not shift or move.

WORKS MUCH BETTER NOW !!!

But my fingers still hurt !

·
Registered
221 Posts
AirMojo, glad to hear you got the watch you really wanted,.

But a bummer you had to go through adjusting the Bezel Ratchet Ring, on a brand new watch.

But you did your self, and was successful! Probably thought the same thing I did, when I was taking mine off, Resistance Is Futile!!!!!

And had your way with her!!!!!! :thumbup1:

Tim

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't get why a watch company like Invicta would sell a product like this... maybe the problem is easily solved when purchased from a jewelry store where the "adjustment" can be made... but even then, you would probably have to come back for it, because most jewelry stores send such work orders out.

I would like to see the "guy" on the assembly line that "tests" the rotating bezels... he/she probably has heavily callused fingers like leather !

I've owned several watches with timing bezels, or tachometer bezels over the years, and never had an issue with rotating the bezels.

But thanks to the internet, and some DIY abilities, and "don't care if I "F" it up" attitude, the problem can be solved...

Now I will find out if the bezel stays on (after being removed), and how long the watch lasts... but I don't plan on using it for every day wear... I will use my Timex Expedition WR100M (with 7 year battery) for that !

·
Registered
302 Posts
I am also looking at the Invicta 1002. Would be my second diver. I am slowly gravitating towards the diver models and away from the 50mm cases with all the complications. My diver (#11752) also had a stiff bezel but has loosened up with use. Airmojo, a little review and some pics of the 1002 would help my decision.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts