WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you know my watch is on the way to NYC Rolex for some treatment.

But,, I called again today and asked about the warranty.

The customer service said what the young lady said yesterday

Rolex will only do warranty repairs for the original owner of the watch.

I asked her,, what abt a watch bought from a secondary AD or if I bought from a friend.

They both said that the original owner must ship it in,, the name on the warranty card or the warranty paper.

I made up several scerarios and was told the same thing over and over.

Scary because most things that expensive have a transferable warranty, ie, car, house, etc.

A plus for buying at an AD

A minus for the ones wanting to save a few bucks and buying used watches off friends or off the internet or from a place like Swiss Luxury or Furman.

I was shocked that the warranty isnt transferable between people.

Again ,, i am just passing on what they stated, I dont agree but thats the policy of Rolex in NYC.

Don

ps. I was thinking about a way around this maybe?? Bring your non transferable warrantied watch to your local AD. They charge around $70 to ship a watch back and forth to Rolex to get it repaired under warranty. That may work. Agreed?

·
Banned
9,135 Posts
I am sorry to hear what you are going through. My understanding is that Rolex will only honor the warranty of the original purchaser of the watch with no exceptions. They do this to avoid grey sales, and to have consumers purchase from ADs, among many other reasons.

Is there something wrong with the watch right now?

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
Yup, that's the policy..... Original owner only. I too don't agree with that policy. I think if it's bought from an AD, the warranty should transfer. But, it could also be a way to (somewhat) cut down on flippers. Any flipped watch would not have a warranty (such as all those BNIB Daytona's in non-AD's).

I don't know if that plan of going to the AD to bypass the original purchaser would work or not. They still have to provide the name of the customer, and if it doesn't match the paperwork it probably won't be honored under warranty. The only way I can see that working is you'd have to say your name is the name on the paperwork. Of course, you'd better know your AD very well as when you pick it up, many want to see ID, which of course wouldn't match and now you can't pick up your watch.

Also, and I'm not sure if this is true or not, but last time I bought a Rolex the AD entered my name & info into the computer. When I asked if that's so he can see what I bought & when if I don't have my receipt he said no, it's sent to Rolex where they keep on file (like a warranty registration). So if (and that's an IF) it's true, Rolex would already know the original purchasers name.

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Not so fast. I have heard first hand stories where the RSC did warranty work for people when they were not the original purchaser of the watch. It's called the "gift" rule. They wrote the RSC a letter specifing that the watch was given to them as a gift. It is very common to receive a watch as a gift. Sometimes they ask you for a copy of the sales receipt. Now that may be a problem unless you have a cooperative seller.

·
Premium Member
24,995 Posts
The issue Rolex is trying to combat here are grey market vendors. Rolex maintains a high purchase volume on their AD's and not every AD can sell everything they need to make those numbers. Innevitably, some dealers end up selling some inventory "out the back door" to grey market vendors at discounted prices. This a near universal problem in the watch industry regardless of brand. And most watch companies want a dealer signed and dated warranty card in order to provide warranty service, though Rolex is a bit stickier than most because they want the name of the person requesting warranty service and the name recorded as the buyer of the watch to be the same.

·
Banned
9,135 Posts
Not so fast. I have heard first hand stories where the RSC did warranty work for people when they were not the original purchaser of the watch. It's called the "gift" rule. They wrote the RSC a letter specifing that the watch was given to them as a gift. It is very common to receive a watch as a gift. Sometimes they ask you for a copy of the sales receipt. Now that may be a problem unless you have a cooperative seller.
That is interesting..... Though I have to admit I have not heard of this. If purchasing for a gift, why not put the recipient's name on the warranty?

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
Well, while giving a watch as a gift is very common, I'd suspect most Rolex's given as gifts are in the immediate family. Not all, but probably the vast majority. At least I've never received a $6,000 gift from a friend... :wink:

So the receipt is probably easier to obtain for these situations. Also, I believe Rolex is a bit more forgiving if the original person & the warrantee are family members. Worst case, you can have that person send it in....

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am sure Rolex Customer Service Reps cut thru the gift spheel everyday.

I dont think the gift thing would work unless its well substantiated.

With 900,000 Rolex's sold a year and probably 30% or more from Allan Furman type dealers I am sure they get a lot of warranty calls for service and get all kinds of stories how it was a gift, theirs cousins watch they are sending in for him,, etc.

The 2 customer service reps I spoke with at Rolex were adamant that there was absolutely NO way to get a watch repaired underwarranty with the warranty papers being in another name, even if the watch was one week old.

When I called a Fl secondary market dealer and told him this ,,, HE denied it emphatically,, said they are warrrantied. The lies we tell to make a buck,, shame on them. I heard it from the houses mouth.

I almost bought my GMT ll from a secondary source before I found the 10% off at a FL AD.

If I had purchased my GMT ll from a secondary source and had the -8 seconds a day problem as I am having,, i d probably have to pay hundreds of dollars to get it fixed.

I still dont agree with the Rolex Policy on this. It should be the product that is warranteed regardless of who owns it, ie, a new car or new house.

But ,, all is well, my GMT was AD purchased by me.. I ll never buy secondary now UNLESS the watch is used and more then 2 years old, then its a moot issue.

Don

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rolex Warranty Card

Hi,

Newbie questions so I apologize if I should know this already!

If I purchase a BNIB 2010 unit from a private individual with a warranty card that is uncompleted, will I be able to register the warranty without the original sales receipt?

Alternatively, if I get the original sales receipt in the name of the original purchaser and submit it, I imagine i am setting myself up for logistical problems if i ever need warranty service.

Cheers...

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
If I purchase a BNIB 2010 unit from a private individual with a warranty card that is uncompleted, will I be able to register the warranty without the original sales receipt?
Well you don't actually register a Rolex warrant. The warranty card and/or receipt is your registration. I've heard / read somewhere that Rolex is also wanting proof of purchase on some warranty claims in addition to the warranty card. Maybe they're getting wise to the 'open card' sales, and want to cut those out. Just a guess, but a logical one. So just filling the card out in your name might work, but there could be some behind-the-scene process and Rolex will want a sales receipt too. Also some people have taken these blank cards, then wait until they have a problem to fill them in. So they fill it in, with a date of like 3 weeks ago. But the watch is 18 months old, and looks 3 years old. Rolex may want to see the receipt to verify the purchase date. Or, they may be able to look up the sale from the store named on the card. If they find proof it's fraudulent, they could cause some serious issues for you (technically you've committed mail fraud). Unlikely, but just throwing it out there as Rolex has really stepped up their legal maneuvering the last year or two..

Alternatively, if I get the original sales receipt in the name of the original purchaser and submit it, I imagine i am setting myself up for logistical problems if i ever need warranty service.
Almost certainly. If the name on the original receipt doesn't match yours, you're probably not going to get it covered in warranty. If the shipping name doesn't match the original buyers name, they're probably not going to cover the repair.

·
Registered
118 Posts
If you buy from a good, reputable grey dealer, he gives a two year parts and labor warranty plus a lifetime parts warranty on his new Rolex products anyway. So, I don't see the need for it to go back to the RSC. Also, has a Rolex certified watchmaker on his staff and his turn around time is much faster than the RSC too. I am not real sure this holds true for other grey dealers though.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I spoke to the Rolex Servicenter in Dallas, Tx and it is a transferable warranty. I do not know who you have spoken to call them up yourself and find out.

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
I spoke to the Rolex Servicenter in Dallas, Tx and it is a transferable warranty. I do not know who you have spoken to call them up yourself and find out.
This goes against everythingI I've ever heard & read Dallas has said in the past. And the fact I've heard stories of people getting different answers from different people in the centers on question & such, so you don't always get the right answer. So I'd definitely get that in writing from them before buying one.

It is possible they've changed their policy though. I've heard there are several lawsuits around the country against Rolex for this practice since it only seems to be a policy in the US, and the papers don't specifically spell it out. So maybe they have changed the policy. If so I can only say "it's about time"!

But either way I'd definitely get written confirmation of the policy (maybe an email to them?).

·
Premium Member
24,995 Posts
This goes against everythingI I've ever heard & read Dallas has said in the past. And the fact I've heard stories of people getting different answers from different people in the centers on question & such, so you don't always get the right answer. So I'd definitely get that in writing from them before buying one.

It is possible they've changed their policy though. I've heard there are several lawsuits around the country against Rolex for this practice since it only seems to be a policy in the US, and the papers don't specifically spell it out. So maybe they have changed the policy. If so I can only say "it's about time"!

But either way I'd definitely get written confirmation of the policy (maybe an email to them?).
I can't get Rolex USA to confirm, but yes I've read about several instances where the service centers are honoring the warranty on pre-owned watches. :thumbup1:

·
Registered
595 Posts
Transfer ownership of rolex watch

DSC_0982.jpg

Well i am not sure if it apply to Rolex international. But in SG, people can transfer ownership of rolex watch but with a fee attached. My friend brought a pre-own rolex watch from 2nd-hand dealer and transfer the watch ownership in SG rolex service centre. And in SG, you do not need to register your warrantly with rolex yourself(although the AD would so call do it for you but how can they do it if the watch is bought as a present for someone else) nor do rolex have a website like BALL where you can register you warrantly online. So I am curious how rolex actually trace ownership if you there is no name stated in the warrantly card.

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
I can't get Rolex USA to confirm, but yes I've read about several instances where the service centers are honoring the warranty on pre-owned watches. :thumbup1:
Well that's definitely good news, and IMO long overdue if true. But I'd still be cautious buying an in-warranty pre-owned watch (depending on price of course) until we get confirmation that they have indeed changed the policy. Just call me a pessimist that'll 'believe it when I see it' on this topic..

·
Premium Member
24,995 Posts
View attachment 19778

Well i am not sure if it apply to Rolex international. But in SG, people can transfer ownership of rolex watch but with a fee attached. My friend brought a pre-own rolex watch from 2nd-hand dealer and transfer the watch ownership in SG rolex service centre. And in SG, you do not need to register your warrantly with rolex yourself(although the AD would so call do it for you but how can they do it if the watch is bought as a present for someone else) nor do rolex have a website like BALL where you can register you warrantly online. So I am curious how rolex actually trace ownership if you there is no name stated in the warrantly card.
In most cases, the AD fills out the warranty card and puts the owners name on it.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Thanks for the info.

In most cases, the AD fills out the warranty card and puts the owners name on it.

Dear Great John,

I was thinking of that as well. But what i notice on my rolex warrantly card is that, it is blank. In fact, all my swiss watches warrantly cards are "nameless". The ADs in SG must be very sloppy or the warrantly cards I have are for customers so no name is needed. But what the heck, it better when you have a "nameless" warrantly card in the event that you dispose the watches for the next holy grail. :lol:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
24,995 Posts
Dear Great John,

I was thinking of that as well. But what i notice on my rolex warrantly card is that, it is blank. In fact, all my swiss watches warrantly cards are "nameless". The ADs in SG must be very sloppy or the warrantly cards I have are for customers so no name is needed. But what the heck, it better when you have a "nameless" warrantly card in the event that you dispose the watches for the next holy grail. :lol:
That's not uncommon when watches come through grey market channels - Dealers don't fill out the warranty cards when they sell watches "out the back door" to grey market dealers, and grey market dealers don't fill them out. So when customers buy them from grey market dealers, they're usually blank.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts