WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

i have seen this watch on ebay, and there are lots of different ones. they are second hand refurbished. I really like this one in particular it has yellow gold/steel a blue bezel and a white dial. Is there any downside to buying a rolex where the dial has been changed. should i buy this watch?

Would it have an effect on resale? Are they genuine rolexes. they all say they come with certificates and things.

your reply would be appreciated. thanks :biggrin:

·
Registered
6,084 Posts
personally, I'd buy only from a TRUSTED seller I could verify and have recourse if not 100% correct off EBAY. this means I'd be very uncomfortable buying off ebay myself since there are so many ways to get taken.

if the seller checks out, a written guarantee of only genuine Rolex parts and pay with a source (credit card) that I can dispute after verification by my watchmaker that everything is right is the only way I could become involved with a sale such as that. even buying pre-owned from a brick and mortar store scares me anymore, so that's my 2c's.

sorry to be so negative but there are as many ways to get hung upside down as there are moving parts in a Rolex..

good luck, remember to buy the seller..:blink:

diver88

·
Registered
20,788 Posts
Without a picture it's impossible to tell, but it sounds like at best it's a frankenwatch, and at worst it had parts that are fake. Rolex has not made a Sub with a white dial, so it's either a fake dial or a remake of another dial. Be warned, if you were to buy it and the only thing fake on it is the dial Rolex still will never service it without charging you to put the original dial back on the watch (over $1,000). AND, they'll keep the old dial regardless of whether you pay for the new one if it is a redone dial with their logo as it's considered fake and a copyright infringement.

IMO skip these 'custom' and 'refurbished' models and buy one from a trusted and known seller who'll sell you the original item.

·
Registered
6,839 Posts
Rolex is one of the most counterfeited brands, and not just the whole watch but individual parts such as dials as well. Many brands I would be happy buyinbg off ebay, and have done so. But for Rolex I suggest being 110% sure about your seller, as even a good seller may have been duped themselves and think they are selling a genuine watch but one that actually has a fake dial.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.