WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Can someone tell me what the difference is between a submariner and a GMT? *The two look very similar, although I am leaning towards the sub, the GMT seem to be more practical.

Thanks!

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
Wait for a Rolex guy to be sure, but I think it's only the GMT function. Same case, same basic movement (with the addition for GMT), same bezel (with different insert), so pretty much the same watch.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Sub has the "Triple Lock Crown" and an additional 100 meters water rating-Gmt is rated to 200 meters and uses the same crown as the "Datejust".

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
to add to the posts above..

The simplistic outlines between the GMT Master and Submariner are that the Submariner has a deeper diving range then the GMT, and has a one way turning bezel for air tank monitoring. The GMT Master II's bezel can be turned in either direction and has three time zone record keeping capabilities.

The Sub has three set of hands while the GMT uses a four hands set up in order to be able to read two too three time zones at will.
Being a Rolex sport watch line models, both watches look very similar in appearance, considered too be tool watches, and popular as well as being iconic in the watch world.

Neat post, Arthur

Some pictures to aid in the visual appeal of the two tool watches..

·
Registered
583 Posts
...the GMT uses a four hands set up in order to be able to read two too three time zones at will.
I've seen the GMT described as a three time-zone watch before, but I don't get it. There's the time showing on the watch, the time shown by the GMT hand in concert with the 24-hr. bezel -- where does a third time zone come in? Is it by including the GMT hand in concert with the 12-hour dial?

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
Good question

I've seen the GMT described as a three time-zone watch before, but I don't get it. There's the time showing on the watch, the time shown by the GMT hand in concert with the 24-hr. bezel -- where does a third time zone come in? Is it by including the GMT hand in concert with the 12-hour dial?
Believe it or not many GMT II owners have the same query.

The GMT II has a unique way to set the date feature. One uses the hour hand in a ratchet motion to go around the dial to get to the desired date.

Now all one has to do is use this hour ratchet feature to set the hour hand one notch up (add one to a few hours) or down( loss one to a few hours). So you set the 24 hour hand to local time. And use the hour hand to adjust the second time zone. But now for the third time zone adjustment, just turn the bezel right or left to get the required time differance. That is how I use my GMT time zone feature without any hands altering.

Example, I am form the East Cost USA. So I set my 24 hour hand for local time. Now I have a convention for five days in Las Vegas, and proceed to set the hour hand back to West Coast time. Now I have the local and Vegas time zones. All of a sudden I have to fly to Hawaii a couple days for a client. All I need to do is click my bezel to Hawaii time without setting the dial. So when NYC or Vegas time is needed for a reference I just turn the bezel back to before Hawaii time.

Arthur

·
Registered
583 Posts
Believe it or not many GMT II owners have the same query.

The GMT II has a unique way to set the date feature. One uses the hour hand in a ratchet motion to go around the dial to get to the desired date.

Now all one has to do is use this hour ratchet feature to set the hour hand one notch up (add one to a few hours) or down( loss one to a few hours). So you set the 24 hour hand to local time. And use the hour hand to adjust the second time zone. But now for the third time zone adjustment, just turn the bezel right or left to get the required time differance. That is how I use my GMT time zone feature without any hands altering.

Example, I am form the East Cost USA. So I set my 24 hour hand for local time. Now I have a convention for five days in Las Vegas, and proceed to set the hour hand back to West Coast time. Now I have the local and Vegas time zones. All of a sudden I have to fly to Hawaii a couple days for a client. All I need to do is click my bezel to Hawaii time without setting the dial. So when NYC or Vegas time is needed for a reference I just turn the bezel back to before Hawaii time.

Arthur
Many thanks for that explanation, Arthur -- although, I must admit that I am still a bit confused. This may be due to the fact that I consider a true 3-time zone watch to be one that shows three distinct time zones at-a-glance.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Many thanks for that explanation, Arthur -- although, I must admit that I am still a bit confused. This may be due to the fact that I consider a true 3-time zone watch to be one that shows three distinct time zones at-a-glance.
A good GMT watch with a 24-hour bezel can show three time zones at a glance:

1. The hour hand shows time in time zone 1.

2. The 24-hour hand shows time in time zone 2.

3. The bezel is set at an offset from, e.g., GMT, and you read the 24-hour hand against the bezel for a third time zone.

On my SD GMT, I keep the hour hand at local time (whatever that may be), the 24-hour hand at GMT, and the bezel with a 10.5 hour offset to show time in South Australia (where I keep my astronomy equipment). All times can be seen at a glance, day or night.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Reactions: incontrol

·
Registered
583 Posts
Thanks, Mark. The difference in your example is that your Grand Seiko has an inner 24-hour dial (as does my Glycine Airman GMT), whereas the Rolex does not. That's pretty much where I'm coming from in terms of questioning Rolex's marketing of the GMT as a three time zone watch. :wink:

·
Registered
805 Posts
and to add to the puzzle, a gmt watch can act as a solar compass. the method involves setting the 24 hour hand to the local time (e.g., if it is 10 a.m. the 24 hr. hand is set to 10) and pointing the 12 hour at the sun. the 24 hour hand will point north. this method only works between the tropic of cancer and the arctic polar circle.

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
You need to use your brain to convert the GMT hand to 24h format. Just x2 for the hour - e.g. when at 2 it will be 4, 8=16(24h time format) etc.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts