WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting better at figurine out fakes from real ones, but this one might need a second opinion from someone who knows more than me.

It looks right, the dial is ok. The lettering looks a bit thick to me but that could be the picture. The cyclopes is a bit iffy.
What worries me is the 'Swiss Made', it doesn't seem right to me.

Should I ask the seller for more photos, or just drop it?

·
Registered
132 Posts
well...

i'm not expert but the font on the bezel looks wrong [although this could be a cheap chinese bezel insert] and the dial 'swiss made', cyclops magnification and the side profile of the case look wrong to me too.I'd always recommend taking the watch to an AD for verification.

·
Registered
20,795 Posts
The magnification looks to be too small to me, so I'd be very suspect. As always buy the seller, forget the 'deal'. Does he have verifiable references? Other high end sales? etc. If you don't feel good about the seller & his reputation, it's never a good deal.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Looks off to me as well. Bad crown- bad font and dial print. Pearl off center-Band doesn't fit well on case. Scott put it best with "buy the seller first"...and not this watch

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oopsie! How did that picture get in there?! :scared:

Thanks for the opinions, I felt the same way. Since I don't have it in my hands yet I'll wait until I can pick it up for myself. The seller is a local lady who got it from her father's estate. That's all I know so far, but I think she mentioned he had a few other rolex's

Here's the picture that was supposed to be in place of the gun :blink:

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
It's a fake and a pretty bad one at that.

It's worthless.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yep, agreed - it's def a fake. :cursing:

The pip on the bezel insert, the font on the bezel insert, dial font, cyclops mag, end links, bracelet/clasp and the obvious etched crown are the dead giveaways.

Walk away from it.... Actually... Run.

·
Registered
177 Posts
It would be interesting if somebody could compare and contrast on the obvious mistakes on this fake. Although easy for experts to spot, I feel it would be beneficial for us 'wet behind the ears' watch fans and to avoid making the same costly mistake !.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
It would be interesting if somebody could compare and contrast on the obvious mistakes on this fake. Although easy for experts to spot, I feel it would be beneficial for us 'wet behind the ears' watch fans and to avoid making the same costly mistake !.

Thanks in advance.
It would be easier and probably more beneficial for you to acquire a picture of the real deal off the internet and make your own comparisons.

Here are some clues and this is not an exhaustive list.

The bezel pearl is wrong.

The crown protectors are wrong.

The cyclops magnification is wrong.

The coronet on the dial is wrong, even though there are authentic variations.

The end-links are "funny" looking.

And more subjectively, the watch just looks generally weird.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.