WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Banned
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I've never been a huge fan of Rolex - not from a pure horological perspective - moreover I just don't find their style appealing (especially the models with the cyclops) - but I have always liked the Rolex Milgauss. I don't know why but this particular Rolex has always been the one that I have seen and liked despite it being one of the lowest priced and least favourite from the brand.

Just lately I have spotted what I think is a real bargain. The watch retails at £5,100 in the UK but I can get a brand new one for £4,000 (box and papers) and the value is making me itch. Even when I compare this new price to used models being sold on Chrono24 the value is stacking up really well.

That said I am a compulsive buyer and I should have more respect for my pocket. As a result I thought I would ask you for your opinions on this watch (not trying to open up the old debate about Rolex per se though please).

I am clear that I want my next watch to be on a bracelet - and I would prefer it to be from a brand that I don't already own (I currently have a PP, ALS, Breguet, AP, IWC, Longines, Breitling, Panerai and TAG). My budget really won't stretch to more than £4,000 at the moment (I really shouldn't be buying anything at present with Christmas looming but like I say I'm really tempted by this watch - or maybe more by what seem to be the value in the new price?) Any other suggestions around this criteria will give me a lot of food for thought and probably stop another impulse buy! So suggestions will be welcomed.

PS - A picture from the net of the exact Milgauss I am considering below:

Watch Analog watch White Light Silver

Attachments

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Everyone and their brother here in Houston has a Submariner and it is widely understood they are bought because they are a Rolex Sub, so despite Rolex's great history and horological expertise, I can't see myself wearing one. If I spend this kind of money, I don't want to see it on everyone else's wrist. (Note:Daytonas are only slightly behind)

Which is where the Milgauss fits in. IF I were to buy a Rolex, I think this would be the one. I personally prefer the black dial (especially with the green crystal). I kind of wish it had date though, from a practical standpoint.

From a resale value perspective, it's hard to beat Rolex.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I'm sure not going to try to talk you out of it, I have that same Milgauss and love it.
FULL DISCLOSURE : If a watch is 40mm or smaller and not a chronograph I will pretty much love it.

·
Banned
28,291 Posts
(especially the models with the cyclops)
It's a wart. Plain & simple. It's icky.

That said I am a compulsive buyer and I should have more respect for my pocket.
You & everyone else here. :lol:

I am clear that I want my next watch to be on a bracelet - and I would prefer it to be from a brand that I don't already own (I currently have a PP, ALS, Breguet, AP, IWC, Longines, Breitling, Panerai and TAG). My budget really won't stretch to more than £4,000 at the moment (I really shouldn't be buying anything at present with Christmas looming but like I say I'm really tempted by this watch - or maybe more by what seem to be the value in the new price?) Any other suggestions around this criteria will give me a lot of food for thought and probably stop another impulse buy! So suggestions will be welcomed.
The above paragraph is you trying to justify the purchase then arguing why you shouldn't. Stop. Go get the watch - it's a good deal. :thumbup1:

If you're looking for someone to dissuade you from the purchase; you are in the wrong place :biggrin:.
That's the truth. :wink:

Everyone and their brother here in Houston has a Submariner and it is widely understood they are bought because they are a Rolex Sub, so despite Rolex's great history and horological expertise, I can't see myself wearing one. If I spend this kind of money, I don't want to see it on everyone else's wrist. (Note:Daytonas are only slightly behind)
More truth about Rolex.

From a resale value perspective, it's hard to beat Rolex.
Another fact about the brand. If you buy it and don't like it, it won't be hard to sell.

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
I like the Milgauss other than the lightning bolt seconds hand, which has always seemed a little hokey to me. If they were to use a seconds hand more in line with the vintage Milgauss I recently saw, the black dial with green crystal version would be very tempting for me.

It's definitely a great watch that would add something different to your collection. Good luck with your decision.

·
Banned
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:laugh: Every time I see that stupid second hand, I think of Captain Marvel.
That made me laugh.

I have to say that I looked at it again today and the version with the black dial and green crystal was drawing my eye to it (TC and Watchdog's preference too I see). The problem is that this is £1,500 more and a little too expensive for me at the moment....

Decisions, decisions.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Not keen on the Milgauss aesthetically. How about the Explorer I? Very understated and classy, would go nice with your collection. I also like the Explorer II, perhaps in black, white if you want a little more flashy.

Glycine Airman SST Chrono 3902.199/66-LBO? Unique, classy, beautiful, and a quality brand. I think it's stunning and would complement your collection.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
What other sports watch on bracelet would belong in your collection? Vacheron Constantin Overseas? JLC Master Compressor?

Not that it matters to the guy who drops 5 figures on an ALS on a whim :) but you're talking a helluva lot more money for either of those than the Milgauss, I believe

·
Banned
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What other sports watch on bracelet would belong in your collection? Vacheron Constantin Overseas? JLC Master Compressor?

Not that it matters to the guy who drops 5 figures on an ALS on a whim :) but you're talking a helluva lot more money for either of those than the Milgauss, I believe
You're never going to forget that ALS impulse buy are you? :001_rolleyes:

I was looking at the VC Overseas the other night on the net but I'm not sure about the bezel. I would really have to see one in the flesh to decide.

The JLC Master Compressor does nothing for me. Strange how I admire JLC so much for all their in house work and yet I haven't found a model of theirs that sings to me yet.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
The JLC Master Compressor does nothing for me. Strange how I admire JLC so much for all their in house work and yet I haven't found a model of theirs that sings to me yet.
Can't argue with that. I noticed you didn't have a JLC in your collection, and these are the only ones that come on bracelets I believe.

I think the VC/JLC AD in Houston is the only major watch shop I haven't been to ... Need to rectify that ...

·
Premium Member
2,088 Posts
I really like the vintage Milgauss too. I have never seen one on sale (apart from on the net).
The Gen 2's were produced from 1966-to around 1980's. One would say a long production time..but not so..Unlike the new Gen 3, back in the 1960's to 1980's the 1019 was a special order piece. Customers which were employed in the scientific fields, needed the antimagnetic properties built into the watch to keep the balance unaffected by magnetic induced equipment.

The Milgauss was a poor seller and not a very attractive watch by 1970's and 1980's standards.
AD's would not stock them as usual window stock, but by a special order program.
To make matters worse the Gen 2's came in only two dial colors. Black being (the rarer version) and silver..

By the 1980's other competitive brands made these science field specialty watches at a more cost effective price, thus Rolex discontinued the 1019.

Arthur

·
Registered
515 Posts
Back to the point of whether or not to buy the Milgauss - I say - BUY IT!!!

I like the watch and the lightning bolt seconds hand too... It's what Flash Gordon would wear!!!:biggrin:

Anyways, I've always thought it to be a sharp and not so common Rolex :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
2,088 Posts
Back to the point of whether or not to buy the Milgauss - I say - BUY IT!!!

I like the watch and the lightning bolt seconds hand too... It's what Flash Gordon would wear!!!:biggrin:

Anyways, I've always thought it to be a sharp and not so common Rolex :thumbup:
I agree the Milgauss is not a so common Rolex ..but to get back to the question at hand..If one needs a date feature on his every day watch, then the Mily might be a deal breaker. But if that is not the case, then go for it.
Arthur

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.