WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of you will probably gasp, but I gave away my first GMT and my Explorer II.
The GMT went to my brother and the Explorer II went to my Step dad.

They both can afford them, but would never buy one for themselves.

I guess I wanted them to have something special and feel the same for Rolex that I do. Hard to put into words actually.

It felt really good and seeing the look on their face made it worth while.
I can only wear one at a time!
I kept the GMT-IIc for myself.

The Sub or SD will be my next one in a few months.

Call me crazy, but I would do it again!

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Wow tinstar, truly an impressive gesture. I wish I was able to be as generous, but I'll have to confine myself to giving away other watches at the moment. I'm actually giving my father the handwinder I'm building from my timezone watch school class.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
I'd like to marry into your family. :D

It must be gratifying to know that your family members enjoy their watches on a daily basis.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Awesome gesture!

I gave my father an early 1970's Martin D-35 guitar that I stumbled across in a mall that had been traded in on a YAMAHA ?????????? as well as a brand new Taylor guitar that I bought thinking I woudl learn on... the look on the face was was worth more than anything and those moments can never be replaced. You are a better man than I, because I would be hard pressed to give away my Rolex!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm sure if you could put a value on the feeling you got when you gave them the watches you could buy two or three more, easy. I applaud you. :thumbup:
And remember: It's better to give than receive!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I haven't had one ounce of regret.

It makes me smile every time I think about it!

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
I have given family members quite a few watches, but not a Rolex. My kids will have to wait until I stop ticking to get theirs.:D
Nice of you to do that.:thumbup:

·
Registered
16,752 Posts
That's a great and fun thing.
I've given away watches right off my wrist, too, but they were Invictas, not Rolex (lol). Still the fun I had doing it was worth the price of the watch. And I did give my son one of my Breitlings - that was fun, too.
You did a good thing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts