WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recieved my first Rolex. In fact, it is my first mechanical auto wind. I got her going early Saturday afternoon and it is now Tuesday (Christmas) and it has gained about 1 min 20 sec.

I know mechanical will not keep accuracy as quartz but I would like to know if what I have is about the norm, better than the norm, or less than the norm?:confused1:

Thanks for your input!:biggrin:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I got mine on November 5th and it has averaged about 3.5 seconds fast per day. To be considered a chronometer for testing purposes, the watch should be within -4 to +6 seconds per day. That means it can lose up to 4 seconds or gain up to 6 seconds per day and still be considered a chronometer. Yours seems to be outside of the accepted specifications and I would either take it back to the AD, or contact Rolex USA to see what you should do as far as sending it in for warranty repair service.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got mine on November 5th and it has averaged about 3.5 seconds fast per day. To be considered a chronometer for testing purposes, the watch should be within -4 to +6 seconds per day. That means it can lose up to 4 seconds or gain up to 6 seconds per day and still be considered a chronometer. Yours seems to be outside of the accepted specifications and I would either take it back to the AD, or contact Rolex USA to see what you should do as far as sending it in for warranty repair service.

Thanks for your response. Went back to my notes and looked at the watch again. Seems I was off more than the watch and it was about 22 secs off not 1 min 20 secs.

·
Premium Member
24,978 Posts
Charle - your watch is a COSC certified chronometer which means it's per day varians should not fall outside of -4 to +6 seconds per day.

If it does, a simple regulation will get it back into COSC performance standards. :thumbup1:

·
Registered
260 Posts
yea your watch should not be gaining that much time, as said, a simple regulation will get it back within standards :)

·
Banned
9,123 Posts
Timebender: If you go to Rolex's website (www.rolex.com) you can get Rolex's number and instructions for sending it in. BTW, I recommend sending it via Registered & Insured United States Postal Mail to Rolex. It's the safest way possible and backed by Federal law. The other companies do not fall under the same federal statutes as the USPS and can open a package for any reason they deem 'necessary'.

BTW, John wrote up about having his watch sent to Rolex via USPS; but, I can not find the article. Can someone help on that part? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for your replies. As I stated in the second part of my thread I had made a mistake and I believe the actual time was 20 secs over 4 days which would be in line with what you have posted.

However, tonight I set again against US gov time and I will take a look at it over the next 72 hours at 24 hours increments.

Will post what I find and thanks again.:thumbup:

·
Registered
525 Posts
Thank you all for your replies. As I stated in the second part of my thread I had made a mistake and I believe the actual time was 20 secs over 4 days which would be in line with what you have posted.

However, tonight I set again against US gov time and I will take a look at it over the next 72 hours at 24 hours increments.

Will post what I find and thanks again.:thumbup:
Mine is about 4 sec a day, but honestly, you are likely better off not torturing yourself over accuracy.....Check it once, if it looks ok, forget about it, and just set it back when it gets too far ahead...or every month or something.

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
Hi Timebender,

What ever the results your probably best to not worry too much as the watch may take some time to "break in".

Also the results may depend on what way the watch is left when not worn,try some different placements if your not wearing it.

Above all enjoy,it's under warranty.:thumbup1:I assume.:confused1:

·
Registered
431 Posts
I have to say you made a very wise choice for your first auto. If there is an issue with it's accuracy rest assured the fine folks at Rolex will fix that for you.

Best Regards,

Thomas Carey

·
Registered
76 Posts
OK, OK, we've got the accuracy discussion going, with great input as usual, but.... the question remains... WHAT DID YOU GET???? .... Pictures?!?!:001_tt1::001_tt1:

·
Registered
215 Posts
Hello All,

Now that we got into the accuracy brainstorm, what is the best way to check your exact mechanical watch's deveation provided you live in a country with no atomic time reference and, of course, you don,t have the machine to measure? Check it against a didital watch ie. G-Shock, etc?

Ed

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
OK, OK, we've got the accuracy discussion going, with great input as usual, but.... the question remains... WHAT DID YOU GET???? .... Pictures?!?!:001_tt1::001_tt1:

I posted pics the other day but since you asked and I am still loving the new Rolex here you go. Also, I just did a 24 hour check against US gov time and it is well inside what is acceptable. 1 1/2 secs fast. I am really fine with that!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
Thanks J!M for the link. I already had it from a post you put up some time back!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts