WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As you noticed I like older unique watches "strange or one off companies". Here is one I came across. The watch is stainless steel and needed polishing and the hands where rusted. I re-blued the hands and put in new illuminating glue/paste within the hands. It cleaned up nicely and runs well.

The Robot Watch Co. also called Robot Time Inc. was an import company based out of the New York City area from the late 40's to about the mid 50's. They imported movements and cases and assemblies the watches. The watches where considered to be a everyday mans watch "Cheap in other words". Many of theses companies start after WWII because the GI's applied and received loans through the GI Bill.

I had to really dig around to find out any information on this company and watch, if anyone can add to the discussion that would be great. I like to gather as much history about any watch as I can. That's why I repair these not so popular watches so that to preserve their history.

Note in the movement they purchased is a Swiss made movement and instead of stamping or machining there name on it they engraved it.
Hard to read but it says "Unadjusted Robot Watch Co. Seventeen" The 17 Jewels Swiss Made text is machined on the movement from the manufacturer.

You can tell they made these watches fast and cheap by the quality of the machining on the inside of the case and the case back, they did very little cleanup and polishing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just bought unusual robot

I just got one of these, - yes, with the amateurish engraving on that bridge.

But the watch is a really interesting Landeron 47 three button chrono with the base metal case significantly corroded. I wonder if there is any way of cleaning it up, or is the case the same as a more common Landeron 48?

What is slightly unusual is that these Landeron 47 dials are usually in dreadful condition whereas (if you can see past the abysmal crystal) this one is quite nice, with the curiously spelled GLADIADOR name on it!

·
Super Moderator
16,558 Posts
Thanks for the link! My Bravingtons Reknown is in desperate need of having the lugs re-plated.

·
Super Moderator
16,558 Posts
What is their policy on the movement....do they ask that it be removed before I send the case to them?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yes, thanks for that! Last time I did it myself, I found myself stripping back the old base metal so far to get a good surface, and found the chrome plating so thick that it was difficult to reassemble. Lots of places can replate but it is great to know somewhere they are attuned to the actual needs of wristwatches. I wonder how much they charge?

·
Administrator
6,988 Posts
Yes, thanks for that! Last time I did it myself, I found myself stripping back the old base metal so far to get a good surface, and found the chrome plating so thick that it was difficult to reassemble. Lots of places can replate but it is great to know somewhere they are attuned to the actual needs of wristwatches. I wonder how much they charge?
If you follow that link Hawk53 provided, their prices are shown.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.