WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi gang,

i sold a red sub last year and regretted it ever since. waited for the right one and here she is. gang say hi to victoria, victoria say hi to the gang. some quick and dirty pics.

best,

cl

·
Registered
6,967 Posts
Wow, big congrats CL...:thumbup::thumbup:

That is one serious looking beauty..:001_tt1::001_tt1:

Enjoy..:thumbup1:

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Absolutely stunning CL.:drool:

A great find indeed.:thumbup:

Keep Victoria safe now.:biggrin:

·
Registered
34 Posts
It's a lesson to anyone out there thats thinking of parting with an old friend for some quick cash. Sell your wifes stuff first!! LOL ;-)

·
Premium Member
24,995 Posts
Oh my stars and garters....where did you find that one nice white markers...with the inner, outer box..anchor...hang tags too? :scared:

What year is it CL? Did you buy it in NY?

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hey guys,

the watch is a late 72 early 73. the markers are a perfect color and the lugs have not been over polished thank god.

no hang tag. that definitely would have been the cherry on top.

:)

cl

ps. the watch came from the midwest outside the watch brotherhood :)

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Beautiful 1680, congrats.

But is the insert original? As far as I know the Red 1680 only came with the acrylic insert "dot". Not a big deal though. Probably a cheapish replacement (if it bothers you).

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the insert is not original to the watch but the dot has some patina on it that matches the dial and hands. i have a new nos 1680 insert i purchased from my ad but the dot on that thing is super white.

i don't know if the insert is a service replacement or a later insert but the owner swears his watch maker said it's original rolex. any info would be appreciated. this watch is going to my watch maker in a week or so to have a once over. getting additional inserts, crystals and a new band etc...

also, there is no gasket on the tube and i have the three dots on the crown. i can't remember if the no tube had no dots crown or visa versa but i will vet this watch to the nth degree.

cl

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Beautiful 1680, congrats.

But is the insert original? As far as I know the Red 1680 only came with the acrylic insert "dot". Not a big deal though. Probably a cheapish replacement (if it bothers you).
Nice catch JP. Indeed the 1680 (RED and WHITE used a plastic "cup" on the insert. The first sub to feature a metal cup was the 16800. My guess is an aftermarket---no biggie.:thumbup1:

·
Premium Member
24,995 Posts
hey guys,

the watch is a late 72 early 73. the markers are a perfect color and the lugs have not been over polished thank god.

no hang tag. that definitely would have been the cherry on top.

cl

ps. the watch came from the midwest outside the watch brotherhood :)

Well, chasing those hang tags in the secondary market could be fun...I definitely try if my package was as complete as yours. :thumbup:

Even the hang tags are bringing insane prices though.... :scared:

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
@chung: The insert could be all original Rolex insert, but it's definitely a wrong insert for this model.

Mike might know what kind of prices they're asking for the vintage inserts (with acrylic bezel pearl). I doubt they're very expensive.

That's a gorgeous red Sub, and it deserves all original parts (imho). ;)

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
@chung: The insert could be all original Rolex insert, but it's definitely a wrong insert for this model.

Mike might know what kind of prices they're asking for the vintage inserts (with acrylic bezel pearl). I doubt they're very expensive.

That's a gorgeous red Sub, and it deserves all original parts (imho). ;)
I don't think an insert for a sapphire watch will fit an acryllic one. The last insert I got for a 1680 (luminova service replacement) was about $70. Tritium inserts can be had though.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
That is a sweet watch you have there. A sub (albeit an LV) is on my wish list. HOwever I have a question and it's to do with the outer box. It say Rolex Oyster but quite clearly shows a seahorse. Why not have a picture of an oyster?

·
Premium Member
24,995 Posts
That is a sweet watch you have there. A sub (albeit an LV) is on my wish list. HOwever I have a question and it's to do with the outer box. It say Rolex Oyster but quite clearly shows a seahorse. Why not have a picture of an oyster?

Fergie - that's just how the old style boxes looked back then. :001_smile:

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
hey guys,

i have a new lumi 1680 insert from my ad and i paid $55 for it :) it's just the dot on it is so white and switched back to the insert that's pictured now. on the hunt for tritium 1680 insert.

the hang tag thing don't bother too much as the original serial number wouldn't be on it. maybe after the high of getting this watch wears off i will start to jones for one which i'm sure it will :)

thanks for the all the input guys!

cl

1 - 20 of 20 Posts