WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm a 3D printing consultant and I've just found a Richemont patent for 3D printing watch cases. I think this is an interesting development in 3D printing and would like your help. Can anyone possibly identify which Richemont watch or which brand they are working on 3D printing? Can you tell from the images? Thanx!

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I'm not sure how 3D printing pays off in watch cases. At a previous job, we metal injection molded cases for Swatch - the MIM process is much better suited to production

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure how 3D printing pays off in watch cases. At a previous job, we metal injection molded cases for Swatch - the MIM process is much better suited to production
Would tend to agree with you on the MIM. Maybe some geometries that MIM couldn't produce? Better mechanical properties? Larger build volume than the 100-150 gr? Produce the watch casing and strap as one part? Also DMLS works better for many precious metals. Also although gold is being developed for MIM, I thought it wasn't on the market yet? And you can 3D print gold. Coupled with Richemont's own MMP process DMLS may outperform MIM.

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
Hi, I'm a 3D printing consultant and I've just found a Richemont patent for 3D printing watch cases. I think this is an interesting development in 3D printing and would like your help. Can anyone possibly identify which Richemont watch or which brand they are working on 3D printing? Can you tell from the images? Thanx!
very neat info..

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
Is that a Panerai case for the Radomir series?

Wonder if Richemont is thinking of using different materials that are more suited to this technology. :confused1:

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
MIM will have better properties than 3DP for sure, we were making parts in excess of 250g.

Agreed about the materials.

Certainly, if you wanted to custom tweak each one made, then 3DP would be the way to go.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts