WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On all those great watches being added to collections. The standard stuff your impressions, f&f, size, dial work, etc. And of course photos of your new loved:001_wub::001_tt1: or unloved:cursing::crying: watch.

Thanks.:thumbup1:

·
Banned
2,874 Posts
OK, I'll start with my new RD Chrono (thanks, auto!).
When I first got the watch, I could not believe the size. I knew it was big, but I didn't really grasp just HOW BIG it really was!
Honestly, it scared me at first. I asked myself, "Am I going to look like a clown wearing this thing?"
After 15 minutes on the wrist, I decided, 'Nah."

The fit and finish is on par with my other Invictas. The Ronda 5040D movement appears reliable, and the chrono features operate as they should.
The lume, which I believe is Tritnite, is probably just a tad bit better than that of my other Invictas. That may have to do with the fact that just about everything on the dial is lumed: Hour and minute hands, chrono hands, chrono markers and numerals, and hour numerals and minute markers.

Because of its large size, it does weigh a bit on the wrist. And I've found that the canteen cap on the crown can be a nuisiance at times (especailly when we were over at our friends last weekend playing on the Wii).
But a simple adjustment of the strap, and a bit of a push up the arm seems to solve that little problem.
And the more that I wear it, the less I notice it.
All I can say is this has become a favorite for me.
It's so unique, at least in the company that I hang around with. And I love the beefy strap and buckle that accompanies this watch.
Everything about it says durability.
And begs for attention.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I did this review awhile back :
Please forgive me if my first review is rather sloppy. But any-woo here goes.

My anticipation for this watch was higher than any Invicta that I own, that includes the LE Pro-Diver Diamond. I suppose that's because of the Dial, the Diamonds, and the Gun Metal Plating. A real Grand Slam.

Presentation: Really in a word, disappointing for the hype surrounding this watch and opening the usual yellow Invicta watch box, and seeing it flopping around inside lessens the initial, I got a great watch feeling. Invicta really should rethink their LE presentations. The word it's self means one of a kind not like any other before it or after and perhaps should be treated as such. But, oh well not a hug biggie.

Look: WOW!! the SNBC showing of this model in no way, shape, or fashion could prepare you for the treat you get once this watch is out of the box. I really don't know where to start the Gun Metal Finish?, The Bezel?, the Dial?, Whoa Nelly It's all good.

a. Gun Metal Finish: The outer portion of this watch is a deep high gloss Gray almost Black. First impressions are that you could almost reach into the watch it's self. How ever it is disappointing that the outer treatment does not continue to the underside of the case back and the bracelet.

b. Bezel: I really had the urge to find a CD of the Bee Gee's greatest hits because the disco ball effect, once light hits those diamonds is hot!!!. Man do those babies sparkle. I also noticed that it does not take alot of light for that effect, even in low light conditions one cannot miss that bezel. Upon rotating a satisfying click is felt ,and heard. The scalloped bezel is not hard to operate, I contribute that to the larger size of this timepiece. I really do like the size of these diamonds not over bearing, but not minuscule either.

c. Dial: Although until now, I have never owned a meteorite dial, a few friends of mine do. Well this dial puts all the ones I have seen up close to shame, I really don't think that because it's my own personal timepiece, but rather the sheer size of this dial. This thing covers some serious real estate, massive does not even begin to describe how large and detailed this dial is . Compared to the other dials I have seen, it's in my opinion like looking at analog TV and then looking at High def TV. The detail is amazing, striations stand out and the whole dial screams LOOK AT ME!! I'm so sexy I want to jump back and kiss myself huh!!.

d. Movement: Enclosed in this case is the now standard SW200 26J movement. I swear that this particular watch really looks like it's gliding around the dial. Perhaps because it's new and I am awe with to over all look of the dial that I say this. I did lay it side by side to my COSC admiral watch, and after about 4-5 min. of comparing them I am sure that the movement is much smoother in the Ocean Ghost. Has Invicta been tinkering I don't know, but by not being an expert in watch movements I choose not to go into further detail.

e. Crown: Large, and easy to operate , disengages after unscrewing easily. I do note however that when screwing back down, that it can be a little more difficult feels like the risk of cross threading is very high, time will tell.

Thoughts very nice timepiece I recall Jim Skelton asking Eyal if this watch could be considered a Reserve timepiece. I won't say what Eyal's response was, but I will say this, IMO no. Although the Ocean Ghost III Diamond Meteorite is a record setting, beautiful, and unique timepiece, I do not believe, that it rises to the level of the Reserve brand. I do own a Reserve and there is a marked difference in quality, even considering the fact that I own the entry level Reserve Speedway. Question, money well spent? yes the price point that was set IMO is a real steal this watch really could have sold at the $1,200 price point ,and been a bargain.
Drawbacks IMO are the lack of an excellent finish all over the watch, and a little stubborn crown, I apologize about my badly written review but that's all I got, thanks for reading.:

·
Registered
788 Posts
Hey Auto, once home this evening, I'll post a review of the Reserve Speedy and maybe the 4469 if I'm feelin giddy! Here is a preview of what I'll say.... ahem...

I LOVE THEM!

·
Registered
788 Posts
Inital thoughts and photos of the Reserve Speedway

Hello ladies and gentlemen. Here are some quick first impressions of my newest watch.

When I opened the box I first noticed the black Invicta box, which BTW happens to be more well made than the usual cheese. When opening the box I noticed nicer manuals, a thank you note from Eyal, the QC checkoff list, and a 5 yr. warranty was already included on the Reserve models.

When I pulled out the watch the first thought was, dang this is heavy as crap! I then proceeded to check it out, the MOP isn't as vibrant as the one on my 4469 but looks more black in most lights. When in light, I mainly see green tones which is fine. I like how in low light the dial looks dark black with white text. The bracelet is very heavy and well done, 24mm I believe and it never tapers, tapering is a pet peeve of mine! The bezel is by and far the best I've had from Invicta thus far. Smooth action that isn't too hard and absolutely no play whatsoever, as well as good alignment. While the sound is still a little cheap, it's action is very smooth.

The caseback is very nicely done with what I'm guessing is an individual s/n on each reserve model, which while not a LE, is a nice touch. All of the pushers and crown work very smoothly and the pushers have a nice solid "click" to them when engaging them, they feel very secure. This is where I'm glad they use the Ronda movements vs. the throwaway ETA G10 and 15's. The second hands all match up perfectly which is another peeve of mine. In low light the watch is a bit hard to read due to black hands and a mainly black dial but most of the time I'm looking at it I don't care what time it is.

On the wrist, it is a huge presence, much more than any I've ever owned and it is BY FAR the heaviest I've ever wore, feels like a solid piece of metal, a quality feeling. Wonder if it has to do with the "grade 5" SS they claim to use. The Deployment has a nice decoration to it, which was unexpected at this price.

The Bad- The IP coating has rubbed off a little at the link nearest the end link. While not much, It worries me that the IP coating just isn't going to stand up to wear. Also, the Ip on the bottom links seem to be wearing already! Or it may be just getting desk marks and the IP will stay. Well, enough talk, here are some pics!!

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Nick, thanks for sharing and great watch. I have never had an IP watch, but, I know that there can be superficial abrasions to the finish of any plating or coated surface(like a scratch on a car into the clear coat, but not through the paint to the metal underneath). I have a reserve watch with a center link that is plated, and there are scratches on the surface finish, but, not down to the SS underneath. It looks very similar to what you have documented in your photo. Brushed stainless will also not hold its "new" brushed look for long under normal wear(IMO). As long as it wears pretty evenly, I am happy. Hopefully, the IP will stand up to the test of time.

·
Banned
2,511 Posts
Hey Nick,cool MOP shots,those can be tough to get a good angle of light, without light reflection,thanks for the review.I hope the IP issue doesn't progress any further.

·
Registered
788 Posts
No, it didn't come with those scratches but those scratches were just from 1 day of wear. I'm just hopin it is like what you all said, just surface scratches....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts