WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Administrator
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
REVIEW: The Panerai PAM336 Radiomir Oro Rosa>>>>>>>>

<!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: facebook_likebutton -->

<like href="https://www.watchtalkforums.info/forums/content.php?r=214-REVIEW-The-Panerai-PAM336-Radiomir-Oro-Rosa&s=4fb5b2e6b41e42da61050094df35ab8b" font="tahoma" layout="standard" show_faces="false" width="300" action="like" colorscheme="light" data-share="true"></like><!-- END TEMPLATE: facebook_likebutton -->

by <!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: memberaction_dropdown -->

JBHII

<!-- END TEMPLATE: memberaction_dropdown -->

Published on 09-17-2010 09:30 AM

Number of Views: 3961

Review of the Panerai PAM336 Radiomir Ora Rosa

By: John B. Holbrook, II

9/13/10

radimor1a.jpg

One of the watch industry’s hottest companies with the most dedicated fan base comes not from Switzerland, but from Italy — Officine Panerai. Founded in 1860, Giovanni Panerai began in a humble workshop in Florence. As work continued through the dawn of the 20th Century, the operation grew and was subsequently expanded by Guido Panerai (grandson of Giovanni). By the 1930s, Panerai was specializing in developing and manufacturing high precision diving instruments used by “frog men” and was eventually commissioned by the Italian Navy to produce watches which could be used and read underwater. These first models actually used movements, case backs, and crowns made by Rolex. Thanks to Panerai’s innovative use of luminous materials using a mix of zinc sulfide and radium bromide (given later the name Radiomir), Panerai’s watches were perfectly legible underwater. Today, the over sized and uniquely styled watches have become a hot fashion accessory item among celebrities, and Panerai’s unique heritage and tradition have also given them a strong following among watch enthusiasts.

The new PAM336 Radiomir Oro Rosa is personally attractive to me on several levels. Firstly, I do like gold watches and the Radiomir Oro Rosa (Italian for "rose gold") features a 42mm diameter case (just 3.4mm thick) constructed from solid 18 ct. rose gold, with both brushed and polished finishes applied. The case has a water resistance rating of 100 meters.

In addition to the material used, I also really like the case size. I'm 5'8" in height, and my personal sense of balance has a definite threshold for watch diameters - usually no more than about 40mm. Since most Panerai models are well over that size, I usually love them from afar - they look great, just not on my wrist. But the Radiomir Oro Rosa looked fantastic on my wrist - you'd never guess it was 42mm in diameter. It really is a gorgeous watch with a vintage Panerai look and feel.

radimor7a.jpg

Attached to the Radiomir Oro Rosa case is a brown Panerai signed alligator strap, featuring a case matching polished rose gold buckle. Both are of exceptional quality and very well suited for the watch. The white stitching on the strap gives the watch a slightly more casual feel, broadening the wearer's choices for attire.

radimor2a.jpg

There are no surprises here when it comes to the dial of the Radiomir Oro Rosa - traditional Panerai design at its finest. The coffee brown dial blends a mix of both Arabic and stick hour markers, with a second hand sub dial at the 9 o'clock position. Both the markers and hands have a luminous coating applied for enhanced low-light visability. The dial is protected by a sapphire crystal, with an anti-glare coating applied.

radimor4a.jpg

Turning to the back of the watch, we see beneath the sapphire crystal observation back the new in-house manufactured Panerai P.999 movement. This is the first Panerai I've been able to review since my Panerai factory tour last year. I gained a deep respect for Panerai's capabilities as a movement manufacturer during this tour, and really looked forward to an opportunity to play with a production model featuring their new movement. The P.999 movement is a hand-wound mechanical movement with 19-jewels, an impressive 60 hour power reserve, and a balance wheel which oscilates at 21,600 beats per hour (BPH). Note in the below photo the "swan neck" style regulator, which adds to the horological sophistication of the entirely in-house designed and manufactured P. 999 (with the exception of the Glucydur® balance and Incabloc® shock protection system).

radimor3a.jpg

When you think of Panerai, "stainless steel sport watches" immediately jumps to mind. However, with the PAM336 Radiomir Oro Rosa, Panerai proves that not only can they do a dress watch, they can do one well. The Radiomir Oro Rosa caries a retail price of just $17,400.00, which is significantly less than other manufacturers charge for watches with a solid gold case and an in-house movement. It's also particularly reasonable given that this watch is a limited production model - only 500 examples will be offered. I can't say I'm part of the near-fanatical "Panaristi" enthusiast base, but I find the Radiomir Oro Rosa very attractive, and feel the watch will have broad based appeal. If you thought you knew what Panerai was all about, seek out your nearest Panerai AD and try on the Radiomir Oro Rosa - it may surprise you too!

**Photos & Text Copyright 2010 WATCH TALK FORUMS. No part of this report can be reproduced outside of WATCH TALK FORUMS without the expressed permission of John B. Holbrook, II.

This article was originally published in forum thread:

REVIEW: The Panerai PAM336 Radiomir Ora Rosa>>>>>>>>
started by
JBHII
View original post

Tags: <!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: tagbit_wrapper -->

pam336,

panerai,

radiomir,

review

11x11progress.gif
<!-- END TEMPLATE: tagbit_wrapper -->