WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Any idea how it would compare to the G12? That's my current point & shoot and, while I love the images I get, it's headed back to Canon in Irvine to get something repaired which, apparently, got broken during its last visit to Canon in Irvine. I'm thinking that having a back-up P&S wouldn't be a bad idea. I've been offered a G11 for a very nice price but, admittedly, it's a few years old and out of warranty.

·
Registered
20,795 Posts
I think Milos (watchfan1) would be a good person to answer your question LC. He's had a G (not sure if it's a 12, think it was an 11) and has owned all 3 of the new S line (S90, 95 and 100).

Hopefully he'll chime in with his thoughts on the G vs. S soon for you...

·
Premium Member
24,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any idea how it would compare to the G12? That's my current point & shoot and, while I love the images I get, it's headed back to Canon in Irvine to get something repaired which, apparently, got broken during its last visit to Canon in Irvine. I'm thinking that having a back-up P&S wouldn't be a bad idea. I've been offered a G11 for a very nice price but, admittedly, it's a few years old and out of warranty.
I think it would compare quite favorably. In many instances, I don't think you'd notice much difference in image quality.

·
Registered
20,795 Posts
BTW you guys are killing me with the great reviews of the S100. I'm trying to decide what to upgrade first, the D90 or the S90, and keep going back & forth. decisions, decisions.... :cursing:

·
Registered
15,309 Posts
after G9 I had s90, I did not own s95 but I am very familiar with it as 2 of my friends do.
Recently, I just bought the S100 and I am VERY happy with it !

I owned s90 for over two years and it was a great little camera. At that time when S90 came out, the sensor was the same
as it was on G series but it was lacking some of the features that G series had (ND filter and a few other minor ones).

S95 was closer to G11 and now -the S100 is even better than G12 in many aspects.
(it also has the ND filter, better, larger new sensor, better HIGH ISO, better video and many other interesting features).
G11 and G12 have sturdy bodies and swivel screen, which many like but I'd still take S100 over any G 'anytime'
Three big reasons are:
- S100 is faster in low light with their f2.0 lens. (so was S90 ans S95) as well as the new CMOS sensor.
- while G12 has longer Zoom (28-140), S100 goes from 24-120,
Those extra 4 mm on wide end are a HUGE for me
and a much more palpable benefit than the 20mm shortage on long end
- s100 (S90 and S95) are truly 'pocket-able' little marvels. While I could carry my 'G' in some loose pocket or cargo shorts,
it would not be possible in jeans or pants that are more 'fit'. S90/95/100 are small enough to carry in any pants and honestly
there were few times where I forgot that in addition to my cell phone and wallet, I also had my S90 (now S100) on me.

My advice: skip the G11 offer, sell G12 once it comes back from Canon and buy s100.
You will be happy, trust me on that. S100 is currently much better camera than G12 - without any doubt.
(CMOS sensor, Digic 5 proc3essor, larger resolution, faster lens, smaller size, higher ISO, wider lens,
faster fps, true HD movies, half the weight of 'G"....the list goes on)

here is a quick comparo of s100, G11 and G12:
http://www.dpreview.com/products/co...on_s100&products=canon_g11&products=canon_g12

...and here is even better comparison of s100 vs G12:
http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-S100-vs-Canon_PowerShot_G12

1 - 6 of 6 Posts