WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Administrator
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
REVIEW: The Boschett Ocean Mariner>>>>>>>>>

<!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: facebook_likebutton -->

<like href="https://www.watchtalkforums.info/forums/content.php?r=50-REVIEW-The-Boschett-Ocean-Mariner&s=4fb5b2e6b41e42da61050094df35ab8b" font="tahoma" layout="standard" show_faces="false" width="300" action="like" colorscheme="light" data-share="true"></like><!-- END TEMPLATE: facebook_likebutton -->

by <!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: memberaction_dropdown -->

JBHII

<!-- END TEMPLATE: memberaction_dropdown -->

Published on 11-18-2009 10:52 AM

Number of Views: 6773

Review of the Boschett Ocean Mariner
By: John B. Holbrook, II
11/18/09

Back in June of 2008, I had the privilege of reviewing the very first dive watch model which Keith Boschetti of Boschett Timepieces produced - the Boschett Reef Ranger. You can read my review of that watch by clicking here. Since that time, Keith has produced two additional dive watch models - the Cave Dweller, and most recently, the Ocean Mariner.

The Ocean Mariner, like the Reef Ranger, is available in a few different dial and bezel color choices - Keith sent me the black dial/bezel model for review:

om1a.jpg

The Ocean Mariner reminds me of the Reef Ranger in that both borrow some styling aspects of other classic dive watches, and sprinkles in some unique features - the combination creates a look which is entirely new and distinctive. The 42mm dial of the Ocean Mariner has Doxa-like markers, and attractive red writing on the dial which are evocative of the famous Rolex "Red" Submariner. The scalloped bezel is quite similar to the Omega Seamaster Professional bezel, and the bracelet is a dead ringer for the one found on the non-Bond Omega Seamaster watches as well. The sapphire crystal on this particular Reef Ranger has a magnification bubble over the date, but the watch can be ordered from Boschett without the magnification bubble if you prefer - a nice option. The markers and hands are nicely coated with SuperLuminova, and the second hand is orange tipped - this dial has excellent legibility and contrast above the water or below.

om7a.jpg

Other than the styling differences, I found the bracelet and clasp to be the biggest difference between the Reef Ranger and the Ocean Mariner. The bracelet on the Ocean Mariner uses adjustable links held in place with friction pins as opposed to screwed in adjustable links on the Reef Ranger. The Ocean Mariner bracelet also features solid center and end link construction.

om3a.jpg

Like the Reef Ranger, the Ocean Mariner has secure two-button clasp with flip lock. The Ocean Mariner clasp adds a nice feature which the Reef Ranger does not have - a dive suit extension. The clasp also offers the flexibility of having a fine sizing adjustment pin with enough holes to make finding the perfect fit easily attainable:

om5a.jpg

The Ocean Mariner clasp opens to reveal a high-quality, solid deployant.

om4a.jpg

The case features a solid stainless steel, laser engraved case back which is screwed down for optimal water resistance (300m/1000ft.) - the Ocean Mariner isn't just a "desk top diver." It has professional grade capabilities as a true diving tool. Also contributing to the impressive water resistance rating is the nice large, easy to grip and turn screw down crown.

om6a.jpg

Inside the case of the Ocean Mariner beats a genuine Swiss mechanical watch movement - an ETA 2824 in its undecorated configuration as it comes from the ETA factory. Boschett does report that every ETA 2824 in their Ocean Mariner comes with upgraded Incabloc shock protection The ETA 2824-A2 is a 25 jewel self-winding mechanical movement that can be hand wound, has a stop-second hand (hacks) feature, and has a bi-directional winding rotor (for greater winding efficiency). The high beat movement has an oscillation rate of 28,800 VPH.

It's actually surprising to me that a company the size of Boschett can source ETA movements in a cost effective manner - it's getting harder and harder to work with ETA. I'm sure it would be both easier and cheaper for Boschett to source a less expensive mechanical movement, so their inclusion of the classic ETA 2824 in the Ocean Mariner demonstrates their commitment to providing a quality product that watch enthusiasts can appreciate.

om2a.jpg

Boschett's Ocean Mariner adds a nice choice to their catalog of watches squarely aimed at the mechanical sport watch enthusiast crowd. The Ocean Mariner has very similar specifications to Boschett's fan-favorite Reef Ranger, but features and cosmetic differences are significant - I suspect most Boschett fans will want to own both models.

It's nice to know that there are watch companies out there that are striving to bring luxury mechanical sport watches to the market, without the luxury price - at just $595.00, the Ocean Mariner a unique value. Click here to order one from Boschett's online store, and tell Keith that you read about it first on WATCH TALK FORUMS!

**Photos & Text Copyright 2009 WATCH TALK FORUMS. No part of this report can be reproduced outside of WATCH TALK FORUMS without the expressed permission of John B. Holbrook, II.

rafy1 likes this.

This article was originally published in forum thread:

REVIEW: The Boschett Ocean Mariner>>>>>>>>>
started by
JBHII
View original post

1 - 1 of 1 Posts