WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
REVIEW: Discount Watch Store's Citizen BM8180-54A>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

This review brought to you by Discount Watch Store
Citizen Eco Drive BM8180-54A

The Citizen Eco Drive BM8180-54A is part of the Citizen 180 Series of Eco Drive powered watches. With the power of light, this watch never needs a battery. The BM8180-54A is Railroad Approved for is legibility, accuracy, and ease of use. The BM8180-54A comes in Citizen’s signature aqua blue outer box and inner cylinder presentation box with silver embossed logo and brand name, Inside you’ll find the instruction manual, warranty card, and warranty registration.

Dial:
The dial is bright white with black painted Arabic numerals surrounding the dial, with 24 hour indicators placed in the inside of the markers in red. The dial is pretty straightforward and very legible. Citizen uses a proprietary lume material that has been applied to the hour, minuet, and the tip of the second hand. They also have applied a lume dot at each hour marker. In this example the lume glows a bright blue, but capturing a lume shot eluded me but it was as good as Seiko’s.

The Day and Date is located at the 3 o’clock position and is unframed. Both are adjusted by pulling the crown to the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] position.

Case:
The case is made of stainless steel that is highly polished on the sides with the top go the case and lugs get the brushed treatment. It measures 37mm across, aprox 9mm thick, and the lugs are 20mm wide. The case feels nice smooth that is light but not cheap feeling. The crown is non-screw down and is protected by flat and slightly raised crown guards.

The caseback is a screw down variety and solid stainless steel. The watch has a water resistance of 330 feet.

Bracelet:

The bracelet uses solid links as well as solid end links, 20mm wide. It’s mostly brushed, with a small amount of polished bands that give it a sporty appearance. It’s adjusted by removing friction pins, and the factory length is 8 inches with plenty of removable links to accommodate many different wrist sizes. It uses a fold over deployant clasp with a double push button release, with a pressed Citizen logo on the clasp.

Movement:

The movement is the Citizen Eco Drive solar powered quartz. Powered by light, the power is stored in a lithium-ion cell that when full charged has a power reserve of 180 days

Final Thoughts:

I find this watch a great value for the price point. A plus for me is the solid end links and solid links in the bracelet. The fit and finish is spot on. It has a decent weight to it, and wears very comfortable on the wrist. At 37mm it would be best suited for a smaller wrist, and would be my only complaint.

You can find this watch and many more over at Discount Watch Store. Watches - Brand Name Watches | DiscountWatchStore.com

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
Great review Chris! :thumbup1: I wore a dress watch last week and at first it felt awkward because I'm so used to the large ones but it was kinda nice to have a watch on the wrist that didnt seem to weigh anything. This watch is a nice alternative to the Swiss Mondaine offerings.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Hey GR8 review Chris, the RR approved Citizen looks pretty nice

They sure have a nice array of advanced features these days, especially with Eco Drive technology being used in many of their various models.

Great Pics, Thanks- :thumbup1:
Jim

·
Registered
7 Posts
Great review sir. Reading your review helps me realize that I missed several things in my first review I posted on here. I was taking the simple and straight forward route in my review, but I actually like your more detailed version better.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Great Review. Thank you. The pics were great too. It's nice to see "regular" watches reviewed. Hats off to discount watch.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts