WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here's my new-to-LumTec story. For casual watch use, I wear a Rolex Explorer II. My eyes are now 47, and I'm finding in darker light is hard to see the time on my watch. So I Googled a search to the effect of "bright lume dials," and I saw the image of the LT M15. My reaction was "WTF!!!" (not exactly standing for Watch Talk Forums).

So my 2 questions are:
1) is superluminova C3 what is used on the M15 dial?
2) Have any of you bought a reverse LT dial (M7, M10, M15) and been disappointed, later preferring the lume on the numbers?

--Joe

·
Premium Member
2,261 Posts
Hey, Joe,

I've never owned a reverse-lume watch, but my brother had one and grew tired of it.

It was sort of a "novelty item," initially, but he said it was actually annoyingly bright on his nightstand and, counterintuitively, not actually any easier to read at 4 AM than his Seiko divers. In fact, he said his reverse-lum watch was often harder to read in direct sunlight.

I've owned/sold hundreds of watches, and I have the eyes of a "sixty-something" man whose eyesight was never great to start with. For my money, the best "visibility watch," under all circumstances -- night/day -- is my year-old SuperCombat B2. It's VERY easy to read in daylight, outstanding on the nightstand, and -- BEST OF ALL -- it'll blow you AWAY in those instance where you've entered a dark space from a bright one -- say walking into a dark restaurant from a bright, full-sunlight sidewalk. There's that interval of a minute, or so, when our eyes are "adjusting" from one extreme to another, and the SuperCombats -- because of their fantastic lume and font size -- are unparalleled in these instances.

Best "visibility" watch I've ever owned, bar none.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I've owned/sold hundreds of watches, and I have the eyes of a "sixty-something" man whose eyesight was never great to start with. For my money, the best "visibility watch," under all circumstances -- night/day -- is my year-old SuperCombat B2. It's VERY easy to read in daylight, outstanding on the nightstand, and -- BEST OF ALL -- it'll blow you AWAY in those instance where you've entered a dark space from a bright one -- say walking into a dark restaurant from a bright, full-sunlight sidewalk. There's that interval of a minute, or so, when our eyes are "adjusting" from one extreme to another, and the SuperCombats -- because of their fantastic lume and font size -- are unparalleled in these instances.

Best "visibility" watch I've ever owned, bar none.
I agree, even in low light situations it's a stunner:

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I had the M7, which I loved...but mainly because it was one of the "rare" whiteface offerings from LT. As Ladd says, the reverse lume makes them quite bright on your nightstand (or when you look at your wrist in the movie theatre). As to readability, I think a good, standard lumed watch is easier to read, eg, my B3 or M27

·
Registered
278 Posts
Indeed, reverse lume dials are hard to read because there's little contrast between the numbers and the glowing background when the lume becomes dim. I've had this experience with the Lumzilla. They are a torch when freshly charged but dim quite quickly. You'd be better off with something like the M49.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Depends on how bright the lume is charged as to whether it is hard to read the numbers or not. I have an M10, and the only disappointment I have is not having bought it sooner!

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'm surprised that some are disappointed with their reverse lum dials. I own a M7 and a Lumzilla LZ2, and I love the dials, and have never had any issues with legibility. I find that the contrast of the black markings against the dial to be wonderful, even if the dial is not very charged (although these dials seem to charge very easily with just a little sunlight and are ready to go in the dark later).

If fact, I'm still kicking myself for not getting an A3 when I had the chance. :cursing: Still on the lookout for one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts