WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear respected fellow forum members I'm closing out my full time working career in May. Of course its only fitting I acquire a retirement piece. Doesn't have to be brand new as I plan to continue indulging myself horologically. Budget is around 8-10K. Trying to decide to get 2 nice pieces or one monster.Already leaning heavily towards a Zenith El Primero Your thoughts and ideas are welcome

·
Premium Member
2,632 Posts
Congrats! This is a toughie, but I'd lean towards the one monster. I would throw Blancpain and GO into the mix at that budget.

·
Banned
28,291 Posts
Dear respected fellow forum members I'm closing out my full time working career in May. Of course its only fitting I acquire a retirement piece. Doesn't have to be brand new as I plan to continue indulging myself horologically. Budget is around 8-10K. Trying to decide to get 2 nice pieces or one monster.Already leaning heavily towards a Zenith El Primero Your thoughts and ideas are welcome
Alright Hakim, I'm going to pick your post apart for a couple obvious errors.

1) Did you say "a" retirement piece? Yeah, like you could ever buy "a" watch in even only a 3 month period. You'll get "a" retirement piece amongst several other "normal" additions. :laugh:

2) You can snag a nice pre-owned ss Zenith for under $6K, some models for around $4k - so see #1. :T If you're looking for gold, then your budget is right on.

So does this mean you'll be able to join us in NYC more often?

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
:confused1: Some thing with a big day/date. Speaking from experience, you wake up in the
morning and have trouble figuring out what day it is. Everyday seems like Saturday. :001_tt2:
I have always found it ironic that companies give out watches for retirement, the point in life when one needs to know the exact time least. It would make more sense to give every new employee a watch with the instruction to "USE IT". :lol:

·
Registered
722 Posts
Buy a monster gold watch! 18K! The cheap bleep-bleeps I worked for wouldn't spring for a watch after 34 years of service SO I BOUGHT MYSELF ONE!!! I lucked into a sweet limited edition Credor that I 've only seen a post regarding it once in three years. You're retired, right? You don't need to know what day or date it is. Throw off the harness! Please note there is no date on this watch.

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Material property
Watch Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
185 Posts
The line, "I plan to continue indulging myself horologically", sounds kind of scary. This was MY line when I retired and since then I've bought more watches than I ever had before I retired.
Anyway, you might want to consider a Rolex Datejust. This was my retirement watch that I wear more often now that I have gotten over the big is better fashion style.
The DJ is 36mm but a size that is easy to live with.
Watch Analog watch Azure Clock Watch accessory

·
Premium Member
6,203 Posts
I'm a sucker for blue dials - that Datejust dial looks great billybop :thumbup1:.

Back to the OP's thoughts on a retirement watch, you didn't mention if you're after a particular style or just throwing it open to all suggestions?
If it was me in your enviable position, I would be looking seriously at a gold JLC Reverso. Classic look, very stylish, and if you get one without 2 movements, you could get some inscription relating to the retirement (even just the year) that is personal to you.
Good luck, you know we all look forward to seeing what you decide (via plenty of pics of course).... :biggrin:

·
Registered
466 Posts
Underrated Watch.............

The Zenith El Primero is one of the world best chrono movement.
That movement has abit of a history.
IMO, this watch is underrated and ............

One of my want list watch.........:cool1:

This watch Zenith El Primero Striking 10th is a limited Edition. Only 2000 pieces.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Datejust as a retirement watch is a bit too cliche for me.

Are you looking for something more dressy or sporty? Or an "anything suits to jeans" watch?

Omega AquaTerra is well within your price range, as is the IWC Vintage collection Ingenieur.

·
Banned
28,291 Posts
Datejust as a retirement watch is a bit too cliche for me.
And for Hakim / superhoro (the OP for all those who lost track). Take a look at his posts in the daily WRUW threads and you'll see he has a wide range of style, but none of them are as reserved as a DJ. Eclectic and diverse describe his collection.

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the input Ulack I'm only retiring from being employed and 3 months is a stretch I have a DJ already I'm really fiending for the Zenith El Primero I guess I'm looking for #2 Perhaps if my heroes Lou S Ulack and Donut were to part with a couple of their "beaters" (lol) I would be set. I think this is more exciting than the prospect of retiring getting the correct retirement watch Will keep you posted on progress Yes definetly more time for NYC forays

·
Banned
778 Posts
I have no idea what the OP owns - and this would have a bearing on what I would buy as a retirement piece. However I do subscribe to the "one monster" replies. You (should) only retire once.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.