WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day all,

I have my Grandfathers watch that was passed down to me, it's a Longines Flagship Ultronic from the 60's I believe, I'm not really sure what it is worth at the moment, I'm not too worried as it's very sentimental to me. It is in pretty rough shape which made me think of getting it restored, the face is probably the worst part as the glass has been missing for many years. I haven't been able to find another one online anywhere, so parts might be hard to come by. Do you think I should get it restored or leave it as is in not working condition? I was also thinking of getting it all polished up, getting new glass and leaving the original old looking face to add character?

DSC_0163.jpg

Cheers for any suggestions.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
I think I'd restore it to the glory it had when your grandfather got it and wore it. I suspect that it probably has a tuning fork movement so you must send it to someone who knows how to work on them.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I think that leaving it in its current state could be detrimental to the watch. Whatever is/has deteriorated might continue to do so, until its a useless hunk of metal (albeit sentimental).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I might get all of it restored except the face. I opened the back case and the the mechanics inside look brand new so I'm hoping it still works with a new battery, that part I take would be the expensive part to replace?. The hands still turn when I turn the knob on the side, seems like a good sign. I'm not a big fan of replacing parts to clean it up, It will be a different watch if I replace a few things.

Has anyone ever seen this model before?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Can you get the model number of the movement? You would be surprised to find out how plentiful parts are.

You just need to decide if you want to keep the watch in it's current, non-working condition decaying in a drawer doing nothing or do you want to get it running to have reminder of your grandfather every time you look at your wrist? If you leave the dial as is and polish the case, is it really going to bother you if it has a replacement movement?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's a 6332 movement, well that's what it has on the clock part when I opened the back case.

I will probably never wear it unless there is a wedding or some special event, but as you say I can't leave it to decay in my draw. The face it's self wont bother me, right now it just looks like trash and that's what's bothering me. The watch and his brothers WWII fighter pilot logbook is the only thing I have of my Grandfathers, never got to meet him either, so it's probably worth getting it fixed up, and leaving the face original to keep that old look.

·
Premium Member
6,208 Posts
I don't mean to be rude but when you say you searched online, did you actually try Google? I found what looks like an identical dial for sale (it has sold) after a quick image search
Longines Flagship Ultronic Champagne Color Dial w Hands for Cal 6332 Movement | eBay
So hopefully you can find a 'new' dial for it it you want, but from reading your posts I think you're wanting to keep the dial in original condition. I personally would replace the dial (but keep the original) so it can be worn and used for what it was designed for - telling the time. Good luck with the hunt - it's a beautiful watch :thumbup1:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't mean to be rude but when you say you searched online, did you actually try Google? I found what looks like an identical dial for sale (it has sold) after a quick image search
Longines Flagship Ultronic Champagne Color Dial w Hands for Cal 6332 Movement | eBay
So hopefully you can find a 'new' dial for it it you want, but from reading your posts I think you're wanting to keep the dial in original condition. I personally would replace the dial (but keep the original) so it can be worn and used for what it was designed for - telling the time. Good luck with the hunt - it's a beautiful watch :thumbup1:
I saw that before, it's the only thing I have ever seen on Google that matches my watch, shame I saw it too late.

My old man thinks I should replace the dial as well, he liked the colour of the one in the link you shared.

If the clock still works it should be a pretty easy job to restore. It looks like stainless steel to me but it as some sort of gold colour, don't think it's real gold? I'm not really sure what that is. Do you think a repair shop could replace the gold colour or make it stainless silver colour? It as a a lot of scratches so it will take some work. I went to town on it with my Dremel, it came up really shinny but the scratches remain.

Thanks for the help everyone, I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi all, sorry to bring this thread back.

I just have a few more questions:

Is it expensive to get my watch re plated gold?

Are the hands easy to replace? One of them seems to be missing.

I can't find the same face to replace the old one. Does the 6332 movement mean that all watches with the 6332 have the same size face? If so I might see if I can find another face to fit in or get the old face painted or gold plated. There are a few other faces for the same watch but can't find any with the date and day as well.

Thanks in advance for any help.

DSC_0124.jpg

DSC_0126.jpg

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
That was a nice watch. All the parts can be replaced or replated. Only question is if you can bear the cost involved.
The restoration cost would probably exceed the value of the restored watch.

There are specialized repair guys for this particular tuning fork type watch. I would only trust it to their hands. I doubt a general mechanical guy would touch it to be honest. If it was mine I would have it restored to its former glory in honour of my grandfather.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
It's a 6332 movement, well that's what it has on the clock part when I opened the back case.

I will probably never wear it unless there is a wedding or some special event, but as you say I can't leave it to decay in my draw. The face it's self wont bother me, right now it just looks like trash and that's what's bothering me. The watch and his brothers WWII fighter pilot logbook is the only thing I have of my Grandfathers, never got to meet him either, so it's probably worth getting it fixed up, and leaving the face original to keep that old look.
I'm pretty much in agreement with all the recommendations to restore within reason. My suggestion on the dial is, if you can't find a replacement, you can have International Dial Corp. re-do it for you. The case can be re-plated and there is a company in Canada (replateit.com) that does some nice work. Nice to see you have something from your grandfather.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts