WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received a few watches, and among them is what I'm guessing to be a females watch. I've checked the sticky about female hamilton's and googled it, but haven't had any luck. I've taken a picture of it, hopefully one of you fine gents or ladies can give me a clue as to the name of it. The inside is silver, and has 2 engravings on it, but I cant make the words out.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,643 Posts
I suggest it may be a 1927 Ladies Tonneau model - as depicted in the 1927 catalogue <<here>> Most likely to be a 17 jewel 987 movement because it has a sub seconds register whereas the earlier model ladies Tonneau had the 986 movement which does not have a sub seconds register.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Beaten to the punch!

You can date the watch more precisely by its serial number, but the one you have was produced sometime between 1927 and 1932. Prior to then, watches with the same style as yours were available but not with the small seconds dial. After 1932, Hamilton stopped offering ladies' watches with a small seconds dial (because the watches were so ridiculously small that you could barely read the hours and minutes)

Small seconds were offered for women "technicians and nurses", and before 1927, you had to buy the bracelet watch to get that feature. These were basically small pocket watches with a loop added so you could attach a metal bracelet and wear it on your wrist:

The one you have, with the fixed lugs, was meant to be worn with a black silk ribbon watchband. I have three of the pre-1927 watches (round, cushion, and decagon - you've got the tonneau shape that I'm still missing!), but all have the 986 movement and thus no seconds.

I'm curious to know what you think about the case itself. The engraved cases on mine feel rather delicate, to the point where I don't feel comfortable wearing them. The plain round one in the photo, which dates to 1925, is part of my regular wearing rotation!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts