WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my fist mechanical watch - Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic. I users manual doesn't offer much guidance.

1. When self winding, how many turns on the crown?
2. Can it be overwound?
3. I bought it online, how can I verify authenticity?

Thanks for any help and if you think there's things I should know about my watch, don't hestitate.

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
1. I don't wind mine. I move it around until it starts running on it's own and it's good to go.
2. No. There is a clutch in the mechanism that allows slippage when the spring is tight.
3. Post a photo. I don't think there is much of a market for counterfeit Hamiltons. They aren't expensive enough to make big money.

Here's mine.

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
Ideally the movement should be fully wound when you put it on. You should give the watch 40 turns of the crown (clockwise) before you put it on.

Most power reserves for modern autos are about 40 - 50 hours without any further winding or wearing (this means if you give it 40 turns then put it back down it should run for that amount of time before stopping).

the auto rotor on the movement is designed to keep your watch wound not to wind the watch up. As Dave said the movement has a clutch that prevents overwinding.

I don't think there is any market in replica Hamilton watches given the price and quality bracket they inhabit but post some photos anyway coz' we all love Hamilton!!

cheers,

·
Premium Member
1,643 Posts
I don't think there is any market in replica Hamilton watches given the price and quality bracket they inhabit
They're out there - but they are obvious copy watches.... There's one type that's branded "H a r n i l t o n", with the r and the n being close together in an attempt to fool the newb.

In the vintage models, there are fake Otis (Hamiltons "reverso") models in circulation and there is some trade in faked WWII and Vietnam era military models.

But as Dave and Sean say, they're quite a safe brand to pursue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice.

1. I don't wind mine. I move it around until it starts running on it's own and it's good to go.
2. No. There is a clutch in the mechanism that allows slippage when the spring is tight.
3. Post a photo. I don't think there is much of a market for counterfeit Hamiltons. They aren't expensive enough to make big money.

Here's mine.
Nice. Do you use a automatic winder when you're not wearing your watch? I have a few other watches that I like to wear and I don't want to keep setting the time.

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
Ideally the movement should be fully wound when you put it on. You should give the watch 40 turns of the crown (clockwise) before you put it on.
I don't need it to run for 40 hours. At the end of the day, off it comes and I'm ready for tomorrow's watch.:biggrin:

If I wear it all day, it will stay running overnight without missing a beat.

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
Nice. Do you use a automatic winder when you're not wearing your watch? I have a few other watches that I like to wear and I don't want to keep setting the time.
I wear this one once every two or three months so I don't think a winder is needed. I generally wear manual wind watches for one day a piece so I'm quite used to setting the time daily.

·
Premium Member
1,643 Posts
My logic has always been, "Why buy a watch winder when you could buy another watch!"

I'm the same as Dave. I have something north of 150 watches; all of which are mechanical (manual and auto wind) except a handful of early Hamilton electrics. As each watch only gets worn every so often as the mood takes me then I am not bothered if I have to wind and set them. If anything, it creates a stronger bond with and greater appreciation of the watch, something you don't get with quartz watches or those that live on a watch winder.

But what about having to set the day and the date you ask? Well, to tell the truth, I often don't bother; only when I figure I will be wearing the watch for a few days. Sometimes I will change watches 2 or 3 times a day depending on what I am doing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts