WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months back, I acquired an Elgin 'Crusader', a neat little watch from the 1950s

The black dial is pretty scabrous, though I think pretty clearly original.

This week, I picked up the movement and dial from a Crusader, but a WHITE dial that's pristine, at least compared to the black one.

I need to service either movement before I can wear the watch, so I was thinking of swapping int he white dial and sending off the black one to see what ID can make of it.

If I do that, and get both movements working, I will have a mix-and-match Crusader! :T

BUT, what do y'all think about sending off an original black dial for refurbishment? :confused1:

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
It looks awful in that one picture, but good on the watch... I didn't think you were much for refurb Doug, I'd like it to be the same!

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Oh, I've been known to redo a dial or two. This one for instance:

Which now looks like this:

The black dial is a borderline case - the AGNs plus the black background mean it's still readable, and hide the pitting which would show up more clearly on a lighter dial.

And let's face it - it's not like my Elgins are Omega Pie Pans. I'm not in danger of ruining any highly prized originality!

EDIT: To put a finer point on it, I'm less a bug for originality and more a cheapskate!

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
If you're not particularly interested in the watch (as is) then get it redone! You wear as many of your watches as possible (I think) and if it would make it easier to enjoy then you should get it redone.

·
Registered
254 Posts
+1 for the nothing to lose column. Maybe finish up with a light spray of gloss clear. It looks like the main problem is the uneven reflectivity. Fix that and it might look ok behind a crystal. Sometimes the least little bit makes a large difference. Joel

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
yep.....give cleaning a shot....then if it doesn't work......I'd go ahead and have it re-done ......I do have a weakness for clean dials ......

·
Registered
121 Posts
Okay, who's got a cleaning solution they like on painted dials?
I've used Goddards Silver dip - some people say they've used Tarnx. Very risky, even with practice, but if you have nothing to lose, it doesn't matter anyway. Dials after the 1950/60s seem very fragile. Dials from the 40s or earlier are usually an OK bet.

Don't try it on anything you love...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts