WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to put on my 2.5 year old Black Seamaster Chrono Diver and found the clasp extension split in two while opening it. There is a small flanged pin that links the double arm and single arm segments that simply snapped. It is a solid pin that is flanged on each end, so I am wondering the proper way to repair it? Would you go with a solid pin that is hammered on both ends to create the flanges and looks original, or a pin with threaded flange inserts at each end? This is probably a fairly common issue, the repair itself is likely very simple, but I want it done right and as close to OEM as reasonable. What is the correct way to repair this?

Thanks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
pin

i have a 2231.80 and when it was a year old, the pin on the buckle broke. the AD here in Singapore said it was not covered by warranty and charged me S$300 for the repair. I am not sure if the pin can be replace because they changed the complete buckle.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for chiming in. That is not what I wanted to hear, though. This pin is almost never under load, and I was surprised it failed. I have never had a similar one fail on any of my others. It seems crazy to have to spend $300.00 on a new buckle for want of a $1.00 piece of steel.

Thanks for the pictures, BTW. They clearly show the pin in question. Did you have two fail?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for chiming in. That is not what I wanted to hear, though. This pin is almost never under load, and I was surprised it failed. I have never had a similar one fail on any of my others. It seems crazy to have to spend $300.00 on a new buckle for want of a $1.00 piece of steel.

Thanks for the pictures, BTW. They clearly show the pin in question. Did you have two fail?
1 pin failed, the AD says that since the watch and bracelet is titanium, these small pins can sometimes break because titanium is brittle compared to SS. I think that $300 singapore dollars is too much for a clasp, but since they said the pin does not come separately, i just bit the bullet just to get it over with

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also have a titanium seamaster and my bracelet clasp pin broke (exactly the same place as yours) about a month ago. I'd worn the watch continuously for two years, only taking it off when showering or when checking my blood pressure (wrist meter). I never mistreated my titanium seamaster. I haven't bothered to get it repaired, instead switching the complete clasp from an older stainless steal seamaster that I used to wear.

I found a webpage (using Google) put up by a fellow who had the same thing happen to his titanium seamaster. He ended up paying lots more than you did. So it looks to me like it's not too uncommon an occurrence for this pin to break free.

Regards,
Bill

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Not covered by warranty on a one year old watch??? I would have had a serious "prayer meeting" with that AD!!! Cheers, Bill P.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Not covered by warranty on a one year old watch??? I would have had a serious "prayer meeting" with that AD!!! Cheers, Bill P.
I wanted to reason out and have a debate with the AD staff but could not understand the way they speak English, considering the fact that this place was once a part of the empire, the locals should at least speak flawless, proper, Oxford, Queen's English, so I said to my self, WTF, and told him here's 300 bucks and and fix it

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
I wanted to reason out and have a debate with the AD staff but could not understand the way they speak English, considering the fact that this place was once a part of the empire, the locals should at least speak flawless, proper, Oxford, Queen's English, so I said to my self, WTF, and told him here's 300 bucks and and fix it
You are far more understanding than I! Sorry for your bad experience. Cheers, Bill P.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I found a new complete Omega clasp for $140.00, which seems more than reasonable. The individual selling the clasp says he can repair my old clasp for $35.00. He suggests I do both so I have a backup. Not something I would have considered except that this pin seems to be pretty fragile and there really isn't a satisfactory resolution other than buying a new clasp periodically. Seems like the materials aren't up to the engineering standard required to perform the task. Pretty disappointing for an otherwise well made timepiece.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts