WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

Renting

3K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  boscoe 
#1 ·
Is anyone familiar with renting, or know much about it? I was thinking of renting but didn't know of any good companies. Any help?

#2 ·
Hi Jerry,

I assume you're talking watches but I don't know of any companies that rent them. I've heard there are a few very high-end companies that rent out the $100,000 watches & such for astronomical prices, but I have no idea who they are. For us 'everyday' folks, I've not heard of any renting places. To be honest, I can't imagine they'd be a good deal..

Have you heard of places tht rent watches?

#7 ·
Thanks foghorn. I actually just found one and its extremely expensive. They want to charge $300 a month for a $1200 Omega. In four months you could own it. Why would anyone do that?

https://www.blingyourself.com/index...urers_id=12&osCsid=bqbtturhed1emadchuh3eljto6

I like the idea of being able to have different watches but I can't see how anyone would want to pay that much money. I would be more interested if it was $50 a month

#8 ·
That's absolutely crazy! :scared:

Like you said, why would you rent something for a few months that you could then own?!?! Now I could see renting a watch for a week if it was very expensive (like an all gold) & I wanted to test drive it before commiting to the watch, but more of what he has is more 'traditional' watches... Wow.....

I agree, if it was $50 or something it would be far more reasonable. Though I also have to wonder, what goes into restoring one that was returned? I'll bet they're pretty beat up & need repolishing & such...

#9 ·
There is absolutely nothing in the world that could convince me to rent a watch.

Even the idea of a "test drive" is absurd.

In my judgement, a person who rents a watch is even more shallow than the person who buys a counterfeit.

I can't think of anything more pathetic.

#11 ·
I guess it's how you look at it Grady. If you've got that much money and would rather enjoy wearing the best watches in the world for a while each, it's really no different than smoking all the best cigars in the world just to know what it's like. You don't have to fill a humidor with them. It's like actresses renting jewelry for special galas. Renting is definitely NOT for me, I can't see it, but for someone with cash to burn, why not? (Yes, I agree, not a good investment and a waste of money).

#13 ·
I agree...renting a watch is kinda nuts...it's a personal statement. An expression of who you are/your taste possibly...would you want to return that at the end of the month or day or week? That would definetly be "fake". Save up and buy the one you really like, and that expresses a little of who you are.... :)

#16 · (Edited)
Hyperbole is useful to drive a point home, as long as it is taken for what it is.

I'm still not convinced that there is any practical reason to rent a watch. I would think that an AD would let you try on a watch several times, if you presented as a serious customer.

It would be my guess that for every person renting a watch for a "test drive," there are many more renting one to make an impression that is inauthentic.

For those who do so with honorable intent, I would not disparage them at all.

#17 ·
Grady was harsh, but he's old school and I think I am too.

I suppose the real question is, why someone feels that that need to rent a watch. The test drive idea is sort of ok, but I'm thinking that is pretty bunk.

I can't think of why someone short of an actor, photographer, or horological journalist would need a watch on a rental basis. Part of the watch mystique is that the person wearing the watch is the owner with all the watch. In effect the watch reflects the wearer's means, style, etc. Faking it seems dumb to me, but not more than someone wanting to rent and give the impression of a different means, style, etc.

#21 ·
Well I think you guys missed my point about the 'test-drive'. Sure, an AD will let you try the watch on all day, but you still have to leave it there when you leave. To me if I'm going to have buyers remorse, I'll start feeling it about the 3rd or 4th day. Now if this is a high-end watch, that's too late to return the watch. Most AD's won't take them back after they've been worn. So if I was looking to buy a $20,000+ watch and if I had the option to 'rent' one for a week or so, I'd probably do it. Just to be sure. I agree, most people renting won't be for the 'test drive' and will be to 'show it off'. But I have no problem with that - to each there own.

I would far rather see someone who can't afford a watch rent one then buy a fake. At least then you're keeping to principles. If I only had 2 options to own a watch 1) rent a $1,000 watch for $100 a week or 2) wear a fake, I'll spend the money on the rental every time. Is it for me? No, I can't see any reason why I'd ever be interested in renting a watch, outside the test-drive scenario and that would be for a chosen few, very expensive models. But I'd definitely hold someone who rented one to a much higher class than someone buying fakes. IMO you can't get any lower on the social scale than someone buying a fake.

Also, how is renting a watch to show something any different then renting a high-end car when you go on vacation. Or leasing a car you couldn't afford to buy otherwise? Many people lease a car because they couldn't afford the payment if they bought it outright. Are they all trying to be someone they aren't? Or the person who rents a better car when they're on vacation? To me, the principles are the same.

#22 · (Edited)
The difference I see in renting a car and a watch is that most people rent a car when they need to and splurging on a more fancy car yields some tangible benefits--more room, more power, more comfort, more amenities, etc.

It depends on a person's circumstances, but I've yet to talk to a person who, after the fact, thought they got a good deal on a car lease, but regardless, the fancier cars provide something other than prestige. I'm not impressed with most of the amenities of luxury cars, but many consider them important.

Given the price that was quoted here for a watch rental of $300 a month, what do you get in return?

Besides a fleeting sense of status and prestige, I can't think of a single one.

But, whatever floats your boat.

Most people don't share my values or my philosophy and that's probably a good thing.

#23 ·
Well I'd agree you're not getting much in return. Actually nothing - except maybe some 'feel good'...

Personally, I don't see anyone renting watches for months on end. I'd be shocked if they have more than a few clients who rent for regular periods of time. I see them as a special occasion market. Like tuxedo rentals, which I don't rent either... :cool1:

#24 ·
I buy my tuxedos, too, Scott.
And when I do rent a car, I go down market, not up (unless there's a room issue). I have a Jag convertible - now 12 years old with about 45K - for when I feel like top-down fun. Truth is, I just took my Chevy HHR - not the Jag - to a party at Mar-a-lago.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.