WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone familiar with renting, or know much about it? I was thinking of renting but didn't know of any good companies. Any help?

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
Hi Jerry,

I assume you're talking watches but I don't know of any companies that rent them. I've heard there are a few very high-end companies that rent out the $100,000 watches & such for astronomical prices, but I have no idea who they are. For us 'everyday' folks, I've not heard of any renting places. To be honest, I can't imagine they'd be a good deal..

Have you heard of places tht rent watches?

·
Registered
16,752 Posts
There are some European companies, which you can find with a web search.
The idea doesn't really appeal to me. It's expensive.
Of course, I don't lease cars or rent my housing, either.
Watch leasing answers a question I've never asked.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks foghorn. I actually just found one and its extremely expensive. They want to charge $300 a month for a $1200 Omega. In four months you could own it. Why would anyone do that?

https://www.blingyourself.com/index...urers_id=12&osCsid=bqbtturhed1emadchuh3eljto6

I like the idea of being able to have different watches but I can't see how anyone would want to pay that much money. I would be more interested if it was $50 a month

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
That's absolutely crazy! :scared:

Like you said, why would you rent something for a few months that you could then own?!?! Now I could see renting a watch for a week if it was very expensive (like an all gold) & I wanted to test drive it before commiting to the watch, but more of what he has is more 'traditional' watches... Wow.....

I agree, if it was $50 or something it would be far more reasonable. Though I also have to wonder, what goes into restoring one that was returned? I'll bet they're pretty beat up & need repolishing & such...

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
There is absolutely nothing in the world that could convince me to rent a watch.

Even the idea of a "test drive" is absurd.

In my judgement, a person who rents a watch is even more shallow than the person who buys a counterfeit.

I can't think of anything more pathetic.

·
Registered
255 Posts
There is absolutely nothing in the world that could convince me to rent a watch.

In my judgement, a person who rents a watch is even more shallow than the person who buys a counterfeit.

Hey Grady

How do you really feel? :lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
979 Posts
I guess it's how you look at it Grady. If you've got that much money and would rather enjoy wearing the best watches in the world for a while each, it's really no different than smoking all the best cigars in the world just to know what it's like. You don't have to fill a humidor with them. It's like actresses renting jewelry for special galas. Renting is definitely NOT for me, I can't see it, but for someone with cash to burn, why not? (Yes, I agree, not a good investment and a waste of money).

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
To each his own, but honestly, I'd rather wear one of these.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I agree...renting a watch is kinda nuts...it's a personal statement. An expression of who you are/your taste possibly...would you want to return that at the end of the month or day or week? That would definetly be "fake". Save up and buy the one you really like, and that expresses a little of who you are.... :)

·
Registered
20,799 Posts

Well you're certainly welcome to your opinion, which I think you've made pretty clear to everyone.

While I wouldn't rent a watch to wear either normally, IF I was looking to spend $20,000 or $25,000 on a watch that I though I wanted, I'd probably be willing to spend a hundred or so to rent it for a week or two to make 100% sure it's what I wanted. It would be a one-time shot though. After all, $20,000+ is a lot of money. I'd want to make sure I'm getting what I want. I'd surely lose far more than $100 or so if I decided I made a bad choice & resold it after buyers remorse. Remember, most high-end watches are non-refundable once bought & worn. But I guess that makes me pathetic for wanting to be 100% sure of a purchase.

A bit extreme, don't you think? So someone who wants to try a high-end watch and is willing to rent the actual product is more pathetic & shallow than someone who supports criminal activity, steals from the company being copied & tries to pass off a fake watch as legit? To say I strongly disagree with that would be an understatement.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What I like most about the concept of renting watches, is being able to rent multiple watches at once. I can't afford to buy two or three 10,000 watches, but I could probably afford to rent two 10,000 watches, if the prices were reasonable.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Hyperbole is useful to drive a point home, as long as it is taken for what it is.

I'm still not convinced that there is any practical reason to rent a watch. I would think that an AD would let you try on a watch several times, if you presented as a serious customer.

It would be my guess that for every person renting a watch for a "test drive," there are many more renting one to make an impression that is inauthentic.

For those who do so with honorable intent, I would not disparage them at all.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Grady was harsh, but he's old school and I think I am too.

I suppose the real question is, why someone feels that that need to rent a watch. The test drive idea is sort of ok, but I'm thinking that is pretty bunk.

I can't think of why someone short of an actor, photographer, or horological journalist would need a watch on a rental basis. Part of the watch mystique is that the person wearing the watch is the owner with all the watch. In effect the watch reflects the wearer's means, style, etc. Faking it seems dumb to me, but not more than someone wanting to rent and give the impression of a different means, style, etc.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Don't rent. I'm a believer that your watch says a lot about your lifestyle. Literally wearing your heart under your sleeve. If it ain't your watch, it ain't your life.

·
Registered
35 Posts
About five years ago I talked to a friend of mine about starting a business renting watches for special occiasons, and also offering a lease to own, but never acted on it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts