WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I read a thread at another forum which I found to be astonishing for the threats by admin there and the comments made by a well known tv host as well as the email from the mink head from Renato. And for the record, I own 9 Renato watches but that does not put them off limits to commentary. Comments on CS are part and parcel with buying anything. Furthermore, the discussion of where an item is made is also an open topic IMO. This is even more important when the company or companies in question go out of their way to hide where the product is made.

original post that started it all.

I have a Cyclops watch with a blue face and automatic movement that was very hard to tell the time with. Renato graciously offered to replace the hands with the new red ones at no charge. I sent the watch via Fed Ex air four weeks ago, and just received it back from Renato this morning.

I have to say, while the hands do improve the watch significantly, I now have a new problem. They scratched the hell out of my rotating bezel. Needless to say what a disappointment! I called Renato, and they are going to issue a return tag for me to send it back and get it repaired. The person I spoke with on the phone said this isn't the first time a bezel has been scratched during repairs, so they are going to look into it. She also mentioned that repairs are done at their offshore plant in China, so now I will have to wait another four weeks to get my watch back. I sure wish they had local repair services. I bought this as my travel watch, and unfortunately the watch is doing more traveling than I am.

I don't mean to look a gift horse in the mouth since Renato really didn't need to replace the hands. I just wanted to warn others who might be sending their Cyclops in for new hands to be aware the bezel may come back looking like someone took a pair of pliers to it.

second comment by same poster who started thread.

Just when I was fixating on the bezel scratches, my wife (who has better vision than I do) noticed I do not have new hands on this watch at all. They simply painted the old ones red!!!! You can actually see the brush strokes and the paint is very "clumpy" looking. They also actually painted over the luminescence on the hour hand.

On Monday I plan a very early phone call to Renato. I guess I just waited four weeks to have my watch hands painted overseas. What a crock. I should have just sent this back to Shop***. Shame on me!

jskelton wrote:

I am very sorry to hear about this. The good thing is that Renato offered immediately to take care of it as soon as you reported the issue.

Rest assured it will be taken care of to your satisfaction. If for some reason it isn't, contact me ASAP.

I spoke with Daniel about this. The person who answered the phone never said any watches were made in China. She did mention Chinese manufacturing though..... for Renato's polishing cloths that are included in the packaging. This I know because Daniel spoke specifically to me about this.

To the other respondents....

I can't even believe the piling on and the comments I've read here. I don't recall ever hearing of Renato service horror stories in the past, only exemplary reports. Seeing comments like "no respect for others property", and expectations that this will happen to other people... that's just wrong.

A mistake was made. Mistakes happen all the time, to every one. I agree that it should have been caught and taken care of before it got shipped back to ***, but there was some oversight there, and Daniel is aware now. So far I believe that their service rating is extremely high as compared to almost every other brand I've read public accounts of.

***, again I feel badly for you and you have my word that it will be resolved immediately.
Third poster...
I think the CS REP was doing a CYA as I would believe a customer over a CS REP and Daniel should as well.
The mistake is Renato's as far as who they decide to contract repair work out too. I am sure it is not intentional to have poor quality service done but sourcing repairs is a big big QC nightmare especially if done overseas with no company management concerning QC onsite. So Renato is taking a **** ( poker term) shoot doing it that way. (if in fact they are??)

I think we have to remember that Renato is more of a watch broker like Croton and SWI rather then a manufacturer such as Hamilton, Rolex, Seiko, Tissot, Breitling and others. So they do not have in house repair facilities. Maybe they should as it could be controlled by Daniel himself or via his appointee and allow service the quality watches deserve
From Daniel Mink to the original poster.. Please note his comments.
Folks, per an email I just received from Daniel Mink

Thanks for your email. We will definitely get you taken care of on Monday.

Also, due to your post on *%#&, we have received numerous frivilous emails regarding our watches being made in China. Our timepieces are manufactured throughout the world an assembled at our Renato plants with fine swiss made movements in switzerland. It is important that you are aware of this, so that you realize the calibre of watch you own from Renato.

Please make sure to rectify this on the forums as well.

Sincerely,

Daniel Mink
Renato Watches, Inc.
Customer Service Dept.
1.866.7.RENATO
(Below posts from site admin) I thought it was interesting that a forum would threaten members with suspension for discussing the CS or origins of a company.

next question or comment about where Renato is made this thread gets closed and the user suspended.
Let's not go there please.! I will kill this thread in a minute!

·
Registered
981 Posts
I believe some of the quotes are taken out of context. The history with Renato and that forum has been such that members have stated inaccuracies and falsehood's in relationship the Renato watches and the origin of the watches. Also in the past post have been so "passion" filled (lack of a better way to put it) that things got way out of hand. Much like Invicta watches. There are those who own a few Invicta's and feel it's OK to put down the brand and comments that positive owners make. Not to mention going out of the way to find "dirt" on the company to post. Why I can't imagine. freedom to question and post is something we to an extent have the right to do. That is until it infringes upon the rights of others who also have that right. Moderators have a tough job deciding when it's OK to post an inflammatory comment and when it's not OK. I will admit that this forum gives quite a bit of latitude to it's members and that's cool. One of the reasons I'm a member. I enjoy it just as much if not more so than other forum's I have visited in the past. I am not defending anyone nor am I condemning anyone just an observation.:thumbup1:

·
Registered
16,743 Posts
Yes, we talked about Renato being made in Indoneasia, which is not true. Actually, it's funny. I do not own Renatos, but the company could end much speculation by simply stating where it's products are made.
Mr. Mink was certainly quite clear the watches are assembled in Switzerland.

WTF can not - and will not - comment on other forums' policies.
Please don't discuss the merits here, other than in the most general terms. Let those wars stay where they started.

Thanks, guys. And (LMAO!). But that's not an official LMAO.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, we talked about Renato being made in Indoneasia, which is not true. Actually, it's funny. I do not own Renatos, but the company could end much speculation by simply stating where it's products are made.
Mr. Mink was certainly quite clear the watches are assembled in Switzerland.

WTF can not - and will not - comment on other forums' policies.
Please don't discuss the merits here, other than in the most general terms. Let those wars stay where they started.

Thanks, guys. And (LMAO!). But that's not an official LMAO.
@ boscoe... he said they had fine Swiss movements. He also stated they were assembled in Renato factories but did not say where they were. Renato is based in Florida and I assume the factories where these things are assembled are in either SE Asia or the former balkan states.

I am not commenting on the other forums' policies since they may be fluid, but on the threat against the forum members posting contrary opinions in a discussion related to watches and the CS of a watch company. lmost every post that was sent to me to read related to CS and making the company stand up for it. I expect that from every company except Invicta.:lol:

@anwilliams9… I agree with your assessment about the threads sometimes getting out of hand. I am guilty of that myself. But not about watches. I own Renato watches and like those I own. That does not mean they get a pass on things.

@ banned…. Actually, Indonesia does have some of the best factories in the world. They just have terrible conditions for work and pay.

·
Banned
927 Posts
Daniel Mink wrote as per the above:
Our timepieces are manufactured throughout the world an assembled at our Renato plants with fine swiss made movements in Switzerland.
and... Please make sure to rectify this on the forums as well.

That's so poorly worded and written I'm not exactly sure what he's saying either. It implies that the watches are assembled in Switzerland, but I would not say that with certainty, because he did not. If he wanted it rectified, he should have done it himself, in a clear, strightforward and intelligible way and cleared the air once and for all and avoided further guessing and speculation.

The customer was told the watch had to be sent to China again to rectify a subpar repair job. Then he was told that was not so. Then he was told the only thing Renato sourced in China were their polishing cloths (uh, okay). This kind of misinformation, and story changing from three different people purporting to represent Renato is the cause for confusion, and it was brought on by themselves, and was relayed to us as it was. IMO, you couldn't make stuff like this up.

The criticism and negative comments referred to above are generally NOT related to the products, but rather the lack of information, misinformation, double-talk, hype, poor QC and CS, which can generally be attributed to the spokepersons/owners/CEOs of these companies when they appear on that shopping channel and why people take this personally is beyond me. It is not directed at the customer for their choice in making the purchase, but rather all the verbage, true or false, that led them to that purchase. You don't hear this criticism about some of the other companies (Phillip, Chase-Durer, Sector, Seiko and others) that are sold on TV, and the recent appearance by John House of 32 Degrees was an example of someone being absolutely forthcoming about his Chinese sourced movements and Asian production facilities with no BS.

When I sent my Swiss made Accutron to Bulova for warranty repair service, it went to and stayed in Woodside, NY, which is where I sent it... not to Switzerland, Indonesia, China, Timbuktoo or anywhere else.

If these other brands would just tell it straight-up, alot of this so-called "bashing" and criticism would be averted.

Sometimes I think they are their own worst enemies.

·
Banned
5,421 Posts
Daniel Mink wrote as per the above:
Our timepieces are manufactured throughout the world an assembled at our Renato plants with fine swiss made movements in Switzerland.
and... Please make sure to rectify this on the forums as well.

That's so poorly worded and written I'm not exactly sure what he's saying either. It implies that the watches are assembled in Switzerland, but I would not say that with certainty, because he did not. If he wanted it rectified, he should have done it himself, in a clear, strightforward and intelligible way and cleared the air once and for all and avoided further guessing and speculation.

The customer was told the watch had to be sent to China again to rectify a subpar repair job. Then he was told that was not so. Then he was told the only thing Renato sourced in China were their polishing cloths (uh, okay). This kind of misinformation, and story changing from three different people purporting to represent Renato is the cause for confusion, and it was brought on by themselves, and was relayed to us as it was. IMO, you couldn't make stuff like this up.

The criticism and negative comments referred to above are generally NOT related to the products, but rather the lack of information, misinformation, double-talk, hype, poor QC and CS, which can generally be attributed to the spokepersons/owners/CEOs of these companies when they appear on that shopping channel and why people take this personally is beyond me. It is not directed at the customer for their choice in making the purchase, but rather all the verbage, true or false, that led them to that purchase. You don't hear this criticism about some of the other companies (Phillip, Case-Durer, Sector, Seiko and others) that are sold on TV, and the recent appearance by John House of 32 Degrees was an example of someone being absolutely forthcoming about his Chinese sourced movements and Asian production facilities with no BS.

When I sent my Swiss made Accutron to Bulova for warranty repair service, it went to and stayed in Woodside, NY, which is where I sent it... not to Switzerland, Indonesia, China, Timbuktoo or anywhere else. If these other brands would just tell it straight-up, alot of this so-called "bashing" and criticism would be averted.

Sometimes I think they are their own worst enemies.

Thanks Randy!!
The whole "we had to send your watch overseas" for it's simple repair is almost comical coming from these supposed 'players' in the watch industry.
Somehow this point was always lost in other places.
It's really quite simple.
Don't let your mouth write a check that your--- can't cash!!

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Randy!!
The whole "we had to send your watch overseas" for it's simple repair is almost comical coming from these supposed 'players' in the watch industry.
Somehow this point was always lost in other places.
It's really quite simple.
Don't let your mouth write a check that your--- can't cash!!
Well said. if you look at the thread I posted about Philip stepping up over a delayed shipment and taking it upon themselves to do so, you can see the difference in CS. Marianne at Chase and Wing at Android ar also examples of CS at it's best with these network sold watches.

Invicta and Renato could take lessons from John House about being up-front. You do not get this from Hamilton, TImex or almost any other watch brand. Very strange indeed.:sneaky2:

·
Banned
5,421 Posts
Well said. if you look at the thread I posted about Philip stepping up over a delayed shipment and taking it upon themselves to do so, you can see the difference in CS. Marianne at Chase and Wing at Android ar also examples of CS at it's best with these network sold watches.

Invicta and Renato could take lessons from John House about being up-front. You do not get this from Hamilton, TImex or almost any other watch brand. Very strange indeed.:sneaky2:

Keep Timex out of this-look at the case back decals!!

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Why does it even matter if something is made in China or anywhere else if it's made well? Invicta and lots of other companies make great watches, let's just enjoy them and not obssess over them.
But then again, if chaos reigns elsewhere, so be it. In fact, since I'm not a mod anymore, let's argue here too! Rolex and Omega are manufactured in Iran and North Korea. Do we really want to support such evil nations?:001_tt2:

·
Registered
16,743 Posts
Well said, mark!
Nothing like a good scrap.
I don't think the issue is that they're made in China, North Korea or Hoboken. The issue is why a manufacturer just won't say where the product is made. It raises the specter (for conspiracy theorists) that the maker has something to hide - or is ashamed of its product.

Oh, and by the way, Woody Harrelson's dad - a professional hitman - claimed he snuffed JFK! And I'm not making this up. In truth, the evidence is very compelling.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Well I will say they sure have a strong lil following. Also their being vague has all of use talking about their brand on the various forums. Thus they are gaining more and more exposure. Just some food for thought.

Best Regards,

Thomas Carey

·
Registered
16,743 Posts
Actually, the Woody Harrelson thing is true. At least the dad's claim. He insists he was one of the "hobos" arrested in Dallas that day - and a photo comparison of a hobo - and him from that same year - is a dead ringer. There are other details too, but then I'd have to summarize a two-magazine-page article.

Harrelson's dad died in a Texas prison about 10 years ago. He was serving a life sentence for assassinating a federal judge. The dad was paid to do the hit by a notorious Mexican Mafia figure back in the early 1980s.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
If I'm a manufacturer and there's no law requiring me to put a stamp or tag saying where it's made, I'd keep it under wraps too. Unless it's going to help me sell more units, why mention where it's made?

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If I'm a manufacturer and there's no law requiring me to put a stamp or tag saying where it's made, I'd keep it under wraps too. Unless it's going to help me sell more units, why mention where it's made?
under american law, if an item is imported, the country of origin must be on the item. In many cases that is hidden in the caseback, stamped under something where it meets the legal requirement but not easily seen.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Why does it even matter if something is made in China or anywhere else if it's made well? Invicta and lots of other companies make great watches, let's just enjoy them and not obssess over them.
But then again, if chaos reigns elsewhere, so be it. In fact, since I'm not a mod anymore, let's argue here too! Rolex and Omega are manufactured in Iran and North Korea. Do we really want to support such evil nations?:001_tt2:
"Rolex and Omega are manufactured in Iran and North Korea", I find that statement very interesting, please direct a link to substantiate this claim, I've googled it and got nothing.

I'm glad i bought a Ball watch!! :thumbup1:

·
Banned
927 Posts
My two Swiss Made Tissots models PRS200 and PRS516 (it say Swiss Made on the dials of both) BOTH have Hong Kong stamped on the inside of the caseback... I saw this when I had the batteries replaced. I am confident however that they meet the criteria to be called Swiss Made, and I'd bet if that if Renato met the same standard Mink would use Swiss Made and not the "Swiss Movt" label and would be touting them as Swiss made, which I maintain they are not.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
So should Tissot be slammed for having something made in Hong Kong and them not letting the world know and instead stamping it on the inside of the caseback?
I don't think Mink has ever said his watches were Swiss Made. Only that the factory he uses is also used by high end watch companies.

And Ball is in the clear. Their watches are made in a friendly nation.......Saudi Arabia.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts