WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone removed the links from their watch bands, and if so, what tools did you use

i have a grand diver and an ocean ghost and i need to take out a few links

local watch store wanted $25 per watch to remove links, kind of think it's a bit high

so i bought one of the tool kits on ebay, waiting for it to come and hope it will do the job, but wanted to see if anyone else has done it

thanks

·
Registered
882 Posts
has anyone removed the links from their watch bands, and if so, what tools did you use

i have a grand diver and an ocean ghost and i need to take out a few links

local watch store wanted $25 per watch to remove links, kind of think it's a bit high

so i bought one of the tool kits on ebay, waiting for it to come and hope it will do the job, but wanted to see if anyone else has done it

thanks
Any basic kit will usually work (should have instructions too). If ya need more help send me a PM and I can walk you through (or call you, whatever you like).

·
Registered
45 Posts
It's easy if you have some mechanical abilities. I'm assuming you purchased the hammer and punch or the press. Punch or press the links out in the direction of the 'arrow' stamped on your watch band. Reverse this procedure when putting it back together. The press works only with narrow width watch bands. My SAN band is too wide for the press so I use the hammer and punch method.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The hammer and punch is way better than that silly horizontal press thing.

I have found that the press makes it hard to see the edge of the link and the end of the pin and it is consequently too easy to gouge up the link poking around blind.

I use the back of a tea spoon to drive the pins back in. The smooth, rounded back seats the pins well and doesn't mar the edge of the link.

I have a slotted block that holds the bracelet on edge conveniently too.

Its simple and a downright rip off at $25.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently had two links removed from my Invicta band for $5.00. I had called a few local jewelers and found prices from $5.00 to $7.00 per watch. I was in a hurray to wear my new watch or I would have ordered tools and done it myself. You shouldn't have any trouble doing the job.
Good luck,

Mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the quick responses, now i just have to wait for the kit to come, will let everyone know how it worked

thanks again

·
Registered
308 Posts
25 bucks per watch is way too expensive and is totally not worth it. I bought a kit on Amazon that costed a total of 5 bucks shipped. And removing the links were way easier than I thought it would be.

What I can tell you is make sure the pin on the kit goes right into the hole otherwise it's going to snap in half, and make sure you hold it straight too. You'll need a lot of light and a good eye to see.

My first pin on the kit broke but I had 5 more extra replacement ones. Ever since I replaced it and learned how to do it, I never broke it again 'cuz I knew how. It's really simple to use. If you do it correctly, you could probably size 100 or more watches and it won't break, it'll last a lifetime if you do it correctly.

A lot of reviews about people breaking them and rating them 1 star is because they don't do it correctly and don't know how to use it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.