WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys and Girls,

Today I decided to create a little post in order to help those that have difficulties in identifying their watch.

The watch I used was my much :001_wub: 1974 'Factory correct' Accutron Spaceview. You may note that this watch has the 'correct' red second hand. These were introduced in the 1970's therefore I would be suspicious of earlier watches displaying this type of hand :sneaky2:
By the 1970's the Spaceview was loosing in popularity to the 218 hence the 'new' red second hand. Not many of these watches sold hence they are not so common.
I will make my apologies now as I have just noticed the dust in my Macro lense :cursing:

For the removal of the caseback I have used the genuine Bulova removal tool. This tool is inscribed with the letter 'L' which makes it the correct tool for the 214. Various other tools exist all annotated with different letters, I assume for different models.

From the picture you will notice that the locking ring has been removed.

The picture below shows the mechanism of the watch. Point to note is the '214' inscription on the bottom part of the mechanism. All Anniversary models are inscribed as '2141' however Franken models exist which have been fitted with a '214' mechanism...........So be warned !!!!!

Now thankfully my watch still depicts the original 'ink' lettering which in this case is '3353'.
This is very useful in identifying the watch and in particular replacement parts. Some watches no longer have this 'ink' mark for a variety of reasons such as cleaning etc...... other watches have them engraved from the factory. Some owners inscribe the number into the caseback to aid in identification.

From this number '3353' I can ascertain that this is a genuine Spaceview model as listed in this 1974 Parts catalogue.

Now what I would say and this is based on research also, some Accutron Spaceview watches do not appear on that list.....WHY???? My assumption is that these Spaceview watches may perhaps be 'conversions' I will leave you decide.........

I hope this has been helpful and that new members and in-particular new Fans of the Accutron Spaceview find this thread helpful when it comes to buying a preloved Spaceview.

Please feel free to add comments or constructive criticism.

All the best

Jake

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
I'm not a new member but I appreciate your well done tutorial.
I would only add that I have seen just case backs for sale that have the correct Spaceview numbers so one could put one of those case backs onto any case that would accept a Spaceview crystal.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I'm not a new member but I appreciate your well done tutorial.
I would only add that I have seen just case backs for sale that have the correct Spaceview numbers so one could put one of those case backs onto any case that would accept a Spaceview crystal.
Yes, thanks much for the tutorial!

Where there is a will, there is a way. :sneaky2:

I was talking with Boomer of Bommertime the other day about a band and we got off on the subject of "consistency" of Bulova issue. Boomer was a dealer back in the heyday of Accutrons and had quite a lot of experience with how Bulova put out watches that didn't match the factory brochures. When he would order multiples of a particular watch from the catalog, they would often arrive with obvious differences - such as color or design of hands and details on the dials. While catalogs may be a guide, Bulova didn't always faithfully follow them and some examples that may appear as a "Frankenwatch" may be as they came from the factory. You just never know!

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Based on my research, there were at least six Spaceview crystals made by Bulova that are not on the list that was compiled by Martin Marcus as confirmed factory produced Spaceview models. However, if you go to the original site http://www.accutron214.com/AccutronQ&A.htm , you will see an additional list of possible Spaceview cases. Cross referencing from parts lists, I was able to confirm nine Spaceview watches by model name and number. Each crystal listed was made to fit one or more factory Spaceview watches at some point in time. Any of these snap crystals could have been used to convert a watch with an appropriate case. Some would also require the correct reflector.

I have listed only those crystals where a direct link to specific Spaceview model can be established. * * **

Snap Crystals:
1222E-2* 29.9mm 25057 Spaceview "E" and 25058 Spaceview "F" or any number of Accutron cases.
1220E 29.0mm 25020 Spaceview or any watch with case numbers 2324, 2319, or 2355
1220E-2 29.1mm 25031 Spaceview "D" (interchangeable with 1220E on some models.)
1210E-3 30.55mm 21013 Spaceview "B" and 21026 Spaceview "C" Fits case #2362 and Swiss case #317**. (1210E-3 has luminous dots and logo)

Armored Crystals:
A1270EW 32.7mm 21036 Spaceview "G" and 24076 Spaceview "S" with case #2528 (narrow reflector ring)
A1271EY 31.1mm 14018 Spaceview "H" and 24019 Spaceview "I" (pillow case, wide reflector ring)
These armored crystals are on the list but have a slight variation in the part numbers. One could assume that Crystals numbered A1270EW would fit cases numbered 3352, 3353, and 3418 and that crystals numbered A1271EY would fit cases numbered 2531 and 3396.

If any of you have the cases and/or crystals mentioned, it would help to see some photos.

*Accutron Crystal 1222E-S 29.9mm with luminous dots and logo fits cases numbered 2313, 2354, 2408, 2421, 2422, 2424, 2450, and 2475. There is no documentation to link this crystal number to any specific Spaceview model.
** Watches with Swiss case #317 were not produced by Bulova as a Spaceview but are often represented as authentic.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts