WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a new strap for my watch. It came with some spring bar tubes (spring bar goes through the tubes), I thought it was a cool feature and did not really think much of it. I put the strap on, but now I cant take the strap off because the tubes do not allow enough movement to get my spring bar remover through. Does anyone have any experience removing a strap with tubes? I feel like an idiot because I did not even think this would be a problem, but in retrospect makes perfect sense. Any help or information would help. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here are a few pics. I was able to move the strap down and what you see exposed is the tube, not the springbar. I cant get my tool in between the tube and the lug to release the spring bar. Hope these pics help to give you a visual.

·
Registered
262 Posts
You are going to have to destroy the spring bar. Your options are to cut it out or pry it out. Make sure to be careful you don't scratch the case while doing so.
Don't feel too bad, you are not the first one to do this. The tubes are only meant to be used on Panerai watches.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
yep, using good wire cutter, dremel, or what ever you feel most comfortable with...but I know...don't ask how :blushing:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I ended up getting the strap off. I got some advice to use a plier to bend the spring bar, and tube, until they bent enough to pop off. This solution worked pretty well, fast and easy. There was a little damage to the strap, nothing major, and the only casualties were the tubes and spring bars. Here are some pics of the aftermath...

The bent spring bar and tubes.

Here is a closeup of the strap where I had to pinch it with the pliers. I honestly could of done a better job protecting the strap, but even then it did not get damaged too much. All and all a success and lesson learned.

·
Super Moderator
15,656 Posts
Try a little mink oil or saddle soap to recondition and soften the leather. You may be able to work those damage marks out.

·
Registered
7,739 Posts
I had the same issue. Ruined a spring bar fork and ended up taking it to a watchmaker who ruined one of his too. Next time I'll just ruin the springbar and tube as suggested!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts