WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From Watch Time magazine back in April 2007 -

It is obvious that a great deal of time and resources have gone into the creation of Omega Caliber 8500, and the company intends to rely on this new movement to carry its timepieces to the next level. Between 2007 and approximately 2010, it is slated to become the base movement for Omega's entire line of watches, with the HourVision case design also making its way beyond the De Ville line into other Omega watch families. "We felt the De Ville was the right family to launch this movement," Urquhart says. "Eventually, all of the families will adopt it." It has been a slow process leading up to this moment, but the Omega president feels the pace of progress is appropriate for a watch company eager to cement its status as one of the world's leading luxury brands. "What people don't understand is that there are brands out there that make only 25 or 50 or 100 watches a year with manufacture movements," he points out. "We made 150,000 movements last year. This is not a niche brand. And Caliber 8500 is our base movement of the future."

If as the article claims, the cal 8500 will be the base movement for all of Omega's watches, then the period between 2007 and 2010 does not seem an awfully long time which Omega has to achieve this aim. It doesn't have to replace everything of course. The Speedmaster Professional continues to be a manually-wound movement based on the Lemania 1873, itself a part of the vast Swatch Family.

To have the 8500 as the base movement, Omega will need to design, plan and produce complications for initially the De Ville family and then the rest. That's -
Chronograph
Day/Date
Big Date
Power Reserve
GMT
Rattrapante

Anything else I missed out?

No small ambition. Not exactly impossible, nevertheless no modest target either. That's two complications per annum. OK it's an aim and the higher you aim, the further you reach.

I don't think this will exactly impact on sales of current cal 2500 base movement models since they are increasingly being seen as something already tried and tested and Omega's continued gaining of experience of this movement will, while it prepares for the changeover, recruiting and training staff, new and old will only serve to enhance its' ability to reach their stated goal.

Any problems that require to be ironed out will already have been addressed. The 33xx problems are behind them now since they were essentially associated with the first two years of production.

Cost? Well, for consumers that is one of the perennial 64K questions, isn't it? For years and I'm sure you'll agree, Omega has been tremendous value given the prestige, diversity and level of quality one has enjoyed with models in their range. From an overall standpoint one can sympathise with Bienne if in their view they are missing out on the price which they could have been asking for over a number of years, many years in fact. It is doubtless that prices will rise. None of us likes that but all of us can in some way take heart that our Omegas will be viewed with a new perception of prestige.

Omega while being a prestigious brand has I'm sure attracted buyers and enthusiasts for whom prestige has not been a factor governing purchase. Omega enthusiasts buy Omegas because of what they offer - appearance, diversity of styling, proven durability and quality and well, if in buying our watches we get prestige as well, who's complaining?

And back to the aspect of cost again. With increasing sales and growing economies of scale, the cost of producing the 8500 will surely come down. They will not be comparable to the cost levels of the ETA-2892 along with its' variants and derivatives but over time there could well be advantages for buyers. Let's not forget too that as the Co-Axial becomes more refined, the expected lengthened service intervals will become a norm guaranteeing savings in ownership over the long haul.

2007 has been a very important year for Omega. It began with the unveiling of their new manufacture movement, the cal 8500/8501 and then there was Omegamania which was a first of its kind for the company. At Baselworld, it exhibited the new Co-Axial Broad Arrows, the limited edition Marine 1932 and Central Tourbillon with Co-Axial Escapement which was a world's first. In June, it celebrated the fiftieth anniversary of the Speedmaster, surely in chronograph terms, the envy of the world's watch manufacturers. This really is an exciting period and a new age in Omega's history and one that would make us all proud to have the familiar symbol on the dials on our wrists.

Semper Fi My Friends

ZIN

·
Registered
128 Posts
So in a couple years a guess we will see the Board Arrow equiped with 85xx movement.

Oh and Houston, you forgot a small seconds in your list, but I guess that's not really a funtion. :confused1:

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're right Mr SLife, I did.

The small seconds is indeed a complication and a very nice one too. I love the Prestige Co-Axial Small Seconds as you may know.

Hope you're keeping well.

Be well pal

ZIN

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Apnea Timer's 3601 would presumably be an 8601. Missed that one out too ;)

Y'all be well now pals

ZIN

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's the expectation my friend, having said which the 2500C present in the current divers is a heck of a movement. If I recount to you a story that a 2500A which had its' movement set too high and was over-lubricated lasted 8 years before it was due for a service. That's 8 years for a slightly-questionable example. Just think what a healthy fighting-fit 2500C is capable of :thumbup1:

Buying the 2500C also saves you a chunk of cash. :001_smile:

Be well pal

ZIN

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Or indeed you could wait for the replacement 2254.50 which is likely to be powered by a 2500C amigo.

Buy a Speedy - you'll never loose. :thumbup1:

Be well pal

ZIN

1 - 8 of 8 Posts