WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I've got a 1970 Hamilton that was given to my Great Grandfather as a retirement gift from his employer, not so valuable in the market, just to me. Needs repair/refurbishment but I don't trust just any local shop. Please recommend how I should proceed. Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Super Moderator
15,310 Posts
Hi there! The phrase "Needs repair/refurbishment" leaves a lot of room for mis-interpretation in my book.
Could you be a little more specific as to what you want done to the watch?

·
Super Moderator
15,310 Posts
Okay then! Generic answer:

Some will recommend you seek someone who is WOSTEP-certified (Watchmaker Of Switzerland Training and Education Program) but I suspect for what you want, that may or may not be overkill.

But you DEFINITELY should look for a AWCI-certified (American Clock and Watch Institute) watchmaker. The site https://www.awci.com/ has an app to find the nearest AWCI repair shop to your area.

If you can't find an AWCI rep, then ask friends, relatives, and co-workers for recommendations. Look for the repair shop(s) that have been in business the longest.
Incompetent repairmen don't stay in business for very long. And try to find a real watchmaker, and not one of those small mall shops that just advertise "batteries- replaced-while-you-wait".

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry for late reply. The watch needs a lot of cosmetic work (band, bezel, etc.) and I'd like to get the mechanical parts refurbed/replaced as needed. Sorry if not so detailed, I'm not a watch expert or aficionado.

·
Super Moderator
15,310 Posts
Almost ALL presentation Hamiltons were "Masterpiece" models that just used a plain leather strap. Don't waste your energy refurbing this...just buy a new one.
And if the crystal is scratched, that's a relatively easy fix that any watch repair shop will be able to handle.

It's up to you (and your budget) if you want to piece out the repairs, or have one place do everything.
If the dial is damaged,you can Google WATCH DIAL REPAIR for businesses that specialize in damaged dials.
For a damaged watch case, you could turn to a local JEWELRY REPAIR SHOP.
If the case isn't damaged but just has the gold plating missing Google WRIST WATCH REPLATING
For movement repairs, see my previous AWCI answer.
The National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors has a published list (for each state) of general watch repair services you can choose from.

Clock and Watch Repair & Restoration Services in the U.S. | Horology - The Index

1 - 5 of 5 Posts