WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I wanna ask something. So Ball Watch had sent me an email notifying that my watch was 3 years old since purchase and informed me to send it for regular maintenance. Well it's been 2 months since and I haven't sent it because I don't want to be separated from it yet. And some information I got says that the regular maintenance should be performed every 3-5 years, so I still have at least another year before sending it right?? However, I notice that the accuracy is getting strange. It was +2 secs/day all this time, until a few weeks ago it's getting slower, like minus a few seconds each day. I wonder if this is because it really needs the maintenance already, i.e. needs lubricating?? And IF I postpone the maintenance-ing for too long will it permanently damage the movement?? Any information you can share?? Thanks guys, God bless us.

·
Registered
390 Posts
3 years is on the short end of the service interval, but if you're noticing a timing issue, then Ball must know best and better send it in.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have an Engineer Master II Worldtime that I bought in 2010. It's been worn very little and is fully wound once per month to keep the insides lubricated. With so little wear, can I safely go beyond the 5 year suggested maintenance interval?

Also, does Ball have service centers for their watches like Rolex does? And, does anyone have an idea of what it costs to have a Ball watch servied?

Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
15,640 Posts
...With so little wear, can I safely go beyond the 5 year suggested maintenance interval?
Ask 10 different WIS and you'll get 4 or 5 different answers. You probably could. This early in a watch's life, it's more a matter of preventative maintenance, as opposed to replacing parts. But please bear this in mind: Minute particles of dust could get into the movement causing premature damage. And watch lubricants will dry out over time and cause major repairs to be needed.
My philosophy is "Why Take Chances?" followed by "an ounce of prevention is preferred to a pound of cure".

Also, does Ball have service centers for their watches like Rolex does?
Yes. All watches needing servicing are sent to BallUSA in St. Petersburg, Florida.

And, does anyone have an idea of what it costs to have a Ball watch serviced?
I can't help with this one. My one and only repair experience was covered by the warranty.
I'm sure they could help if you called Ball USA-
Phone:727-896-4278
Fax: 727-825-0803
(there is also a contact form you can fill out on their website)

·
Registered
206 Posts
The change in time keeping is a subtle clue for it to be serviced and it is preferred to be on the safe side. The Mrs. other watch stopped and the rotor spun freely. After drop-off, the repair shop relayed the mainspring had broken. With rebuild, parts and a case clean-up, the bill will be just short of $500. Some watches can run year after year without a hint of problems while others will need servicing.

This is an interesting article:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/27/fashion/27iht-acawrepair.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

·
Registered
7 Posts
Agreed with others! Send her in.

The change in time keeping is a subtle clue for it to be serviced and it is preferred to be on the safe side. The Mrs. other watch stopped and the rotor spun freely. After drop-off, the repair shop relayed the mainspring had broken. With rebuild, parts and a case clean-up, the bill will be just short of $500. Some watches can run year after year without a hint of problems while others will need servicing.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/27/fashion/27iht-acawrepair.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
Here's a related interesting thread on the topic. Even if it seems to be running fine year after year, the movement may actually not be ok.
How often to service a watch - a watchmaker's view

·
Super Moderator
15,640 Posts
Congeal - first, a formal welcome to Watch Talk Forums (WTF).
Second, I can't thank you enough for that WatchUSeek link. It should be mandatory reading for any mechanical watch collector just starting in this hobby. Practically all of us have watches that are way too nice for this info to be disregarded- if not totally ignored!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Also thanks to Congeal for that link to servicing a watch. Very good info. and I have saved it as a link in my favorites to review every so often. Because of that and CometHunter's info., I'll be keeping to the recommended service schedule - even with the reduced wear time of my watches.

Thanks for the help!

·
Super Moderator
15,640 Posts
:thumbup:

·
Registered
11 Posts

Plus one for sharing this - thank you.
best,
-dt

1 - 11 of 11 Posts