WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my name is Scott I am new to this forum and to real watches. After a few years of admiring Hamilton watches from afar I have finally managed to get my hands on one, a Railroad Autochrono. Now, I have always been fascinated with watches and their workings but I know very little about them. I was wondering if anyone could steer me towards books or links that can help me out. I prefer a good book if possible.

I am looking for several things. Firstly anything on watches, movements and terminologies as I know very little about this stuff. Apparently my watch has an A07-211 movement, well I have no idea what that means. Secondly I would like to get some history on Hamilton watches. Are there any books out there written on the subject? Any guidance is much appreciated.

Thanks very much in advance, Scott

·
Super Moderator
16,903 Posts
...Apparently my watch has an A07-211 movement, well I have no idea what that means...
Hi Scott, and welcome.
Well, since you asked, that number is how Hamilton describes your particular kind of ETA/Valgranges movement:
A07.111 - hour, minute, second, date
A07.161 - hour, minute, second, date, power reserve register
A07.171 - hour, minute, second, date, 24-hour hand, second time zone
A07.211 - hour, minute, second, chronograph

As for reading material- check your local library.
The Hamilton Collectors Bible is entitled Hamilton Watches- A Collector's Guide written by Rene Rondeau. Good luck with this one. It has been out of print for years. Few of us have seen one in the wild and you can count on 1 hand (and still have a couple fingers left over) the number of WTF members that actually are lucky enough to own one. Copies command many many many times the cover price. Another one is Time for America written by Don Sauers. The last time I saw this book, it was going for $165.

Besides the library, however, affordable alternatives are the watch magazines. A few are: WatchTime, International Wristwatch, Watches International, Watch World, and Orologi. Several of these titles also put out Annual editions and buyers guides. They cover a lot of the major brands and include pricing, watch and movement specs and tons of general info. Check anyplace where magazines are sold.

And don't forget to go to the Hamilton website and request a free copy of their current catalog...it's well worth the effort. But hurry- a lot of brands are phasing out their printed versions in favor of the PDF format.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.

Hi Scott, and welcome.
Well, since you asked, that number is how Hamilton describes your particular kind of ETA/Valgranges movement:
A07.111 - hour, minute, second, date
A07.161 - hour, minute, second, date, power reserve register
A07.171 - hour, minute, second, date, 24-hour hand, second time zone
A07.211 - hour, minute, second, chronograph

As for reading material- check your local library.
The Hamilton Collectors Bible is entitled Hamilton Watches- A Collector's Guide written by Rene Rondeau. Good luck with this one. It has been out of print for years. Few of us have seen one in the wild and you can count on 1 hand (and still have a couple fingers left over) the number of WTF members that actually are lucky enough to own one. Copies command many many many times the cover price. Another one is Time for America written by Don Sauers. The last time I saw this book, it was going for $165.

Besides the library, however, affordable alternatives are the watch magazines. A few are: WatchTime, International Wristwatch, Watches International, Watch World, and Orologi. Several of these titles also put out Annual editions and buyers guides. They cover a lot of the major brands and include pricing, watch and movement specs and tons of general info. Check anyplace where magazines are sold.

And don't forget to go to the Hamilton website and request a free copy of their current catalog...it's well worth the effort. But hurry- a lot of brands are phasing out their printed versions in favor of the PDF format.

Hope this helps.
Thanks Bill I appreciate your info. I will get on to Hamilton ASAP.

Cheers Scott.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.