WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did you know that in the movie Red River John Ireland, (playing Cherry Valence) one of the cowboys/gunslingers who joins roundup makes this quote:

There are only two things more beautiful than a gun: a Swiss watch or a woman from anywhere. Ever had a good... Swiss watch?

Even in 1948 when the movie was made they appreciated a good Swiss Made watch.

From Casablanca:

Rick: If it's December 1941 in Casablanca, what time is it in New York?
Sam: What? My watch stopped. ( It was an Invicta apparently)
Rick: I'd bet they're asleep in New York. I'd bet they're asleep all over America.

From Pulp Fiction ( edited for bad naughty words)

Butch: Where's my watch?
Fabienne: It's there.
Butch: No it's not.
Fabienne: Have you looked ?
Butch: Yes, I've friggin' looked. What the heck do you think I'm doin'? You sure you got it ?
Fabienne: Yes. Bedside table drawer.
Butch: On the little kangaroo ?
Fabienne: Yes, it was on the little kangaroo.
Butch: Yeah, well, it's not here now.
Fabienne: Well, it should be.
Butch: Yes it most definitely should be but it's not here now, so where the heck is it? Fabienne, where's my father's frigging watch ? Do you have any idea what he had to go through to get me that watch ? I don't have time to go into it, but he went through a lot. All this other stuff you could've set on fire, but I specifically reminded you not to forget the frigging watch.

It was a Timex.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Obviously, Tarantino knows his watches.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I thought it was a Rolex. It was originally purchased during WWI. I don't think Timex was called Timex during WWI. It's described as a gold watch, I have no idea if Timex made a gold watch. I've seen that movie quite a few times. But could never get a close enough look at the watch. But, you wouldn't expect a Rolex to be sold at a General Store either. If you all know what the dad and Capt. Koons went through to save that watch... that is some serious WIS stuff.

Overall, it makes sense it was Timex.

Now just imagine if that watch had been a Russian Diver... :scared:

Tarantino rules!!

Cool thread. Thanks for the Watch and Movie Trivia!

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
I haven't seen Pulp Fiction in a long time although it is in my collection.

I'll have to watch it soon. It is a brilliant film.

However, if the watch in question was purchased in WWI and it was a Timex, that would be an anachronism and anachronisms in films are not that uncommon. Timex used to be US Time.

After WWII, US Time introduced the Timex line, which was made possible by the introduction of tiny ball bearing in place of more expensive jewels in that day. Shortly thereafter, the company became Timex.

I haven't seen a Vietnam documentary yet, though, that didn't have footage that didn't fit with the narrative, because weaponry used in the footage was not in use during the period of the war being described.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
The best part of the story was when his father's friend brought him the watch and told the story "behind" (a little pun there) the watch still being around. :lol:

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great watch stuff, koi. Thanks. I've always grinned at that Pulp Fiction watch routine.
So I see the pugs finally brought you back from their walkie:biggrin:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts