WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my 85 year old fathers watch and he just gave it to me to remember him by. His father bought this watch, and two additional ones identical, for him and his two brothers. It was always cool as a young kid getting together and seeing my uncles with the same watch my father had. My father wore it every day for decades until he got an Ironman watch that he could beat up and the Sportsmatic went into a drawer to be passed on to me someday.

Dads got Parkinsons and won't be around much longer and I'd like to get the watch refurbished before he goes. I'd love for him to see it all shiney and new before he passes. The problem is I like watches, I just don't work on them. It needs to be done right and I don't know anyone who could do it right.

So, does anyone know anyone reputable and trustworthy either on this forum, or online, or in Albuquerque that could refurbish this watch, and do it right? I think the curved crystal will be hard to find and it might need a new movement. When I shake it around to wind it, nothing happens.

Face and hands look great. Everything glows except the 8 position. Case is kind of scratched and all the numbers are very visible on the back. Crystal is totally readable but has incidental scratches.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks so much.

·
Super Moderator
5,547 Posts
I sounds as if you may value the watch beyond any intrinsic value it may have. As such and if I were going to have an older Seiko serviced I would check with Seiko USA in New Jersey
FAQs - Repairs | SEIKO CORPORATION OF AMERICA.
You might also check with Arizona Fine Time. They are a forum sponsor and a fully authorized dealer of Seiko's finer collections.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OP here, reviving an old thread. Dad passed in August and I'd really like to get his watch rebuilt but I'm apprehensive about sending it away. I googled swedefreak as suggested but have sadly discovered that he passed away as well.

Is there anyone in Albuquerque that could look at this watch and tell me what's involved? I've been burned by jewelry shops before so just taking it to a shop and saying, "make it run" gives me pause.

Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
OP here, reviving an old thread. Dad passed in August and I'd really like to get his watch rebuilt but I'm apprehensive about sending it away. I googled swedefreak as suggested but have sadly discovered that he passed away as well.

Is there anyone in Albuquerque that could look at this watch and tell me what's involved? I've been burned by jewelry shops before so just taking it to a shop and saying, "make it run" gives me pause.

Any help appreciated.

Hi Rancho5,
I'm very sorry to learn that Swedefreak has passed away, I didn't know that until reading your thread here. He was an old time friend of mine from the old SCWF.

I'm also sorry about your Dad passing away, and I pray that our Lord & Savior Jesus Christ will calm your soul and place peace within your hearts with fond memories of him.

Here's a very good and honest Seiko watch man, he's a master watchmaker and has extensive Seiko experience, so please check his website and find his contact info. Ken & Chuck Setser are well regarded and well known by the Seiko watch community for a, and I think he'd be able to help you here I hope.
Site Title - Home

My condolences to you & your family-

Best regards,
Jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.