WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I need to drop in here more often. Some new names, and lots of ones I'm familiar with.

I have a weakness for this combination, stainless case and a nice blue dial. I've seen this model before, and I'm pretty certain what I just purchased was the way I recall the others to look like, but if anyone else has this model I'd love some feedback.

The beads of rice style bracelet is likely a generic brand. The piece is in transit and the seller didn't have a better pic so I could identify it. Obviously not correct, but it doesn't look half bad, and may be a decent one for another watch of mine.

Interesting handset, and the second hand at first glance appears to be the one used with the Deep Sea black/red bezel insert model (actually have one so I'll have to compare more closely).

Just realized I haven't verified the case style number to the ABC case parts catalog (to make certain the caseback wasn't swapped), so off I go. I don't see this in the case style number example PDF listing either, as well as Darold Hanson's book of Accutrons.

Any info appreciated. Here's some pics.

Eric

Attachments

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, all looks well from the case parts catalog. 2180 movement, 1222-1 crystal stainless case.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Garry, good to hear from you. With your extensive 218 collection, I should've known you would have one 🙂 Thanks for the confirmation, I appreciate it. An unusual piece, this one. Looks like they borrowed the Deep Sea second hand, but the hour and minute hands I don't recall seeing being used elsewhere. I always prefer applied, more substantial hour markers, but I make exceptions, and this one earns it. There's something eye catching about it, to me. I'm hoping it cleans up really well.

Thanks again.

Very nice, Eric. I have a mint example of the same model. It has the same hands as yours.
Garry

·
Registered
528 Posts
I serviced an identical one about a year ago. Quite unusual and very striking looking. Beautiful combo!

Rob

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice to hear, Rob, thanks. It's a simple piece, really, and like I said above I'm usually not a fan of printed dials, much preferring more substantial applied hour markers. An exception to that would be railroad approved models, which while printed, I'm a fan of and have seven in my collection. But despite being relatively simple, I like the dial layout. I just enjoy the stainless case with blue dial look. I certainly seem to gravitate towards them.

I serviced an identical one about a year ago. Quite unusual and very striking looking. Beautiful combo!

Rob

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ahh, I should've taken more than one pic, as it didn't come out as focused as I'd liked, plus I missed one. I have the same 2183. I also have a fantastic vintage Caravelle that's stainless/blue, and a modded Seiko diver.
All of these have various shades of blue dials, and depending upon the angle and light, can be darker or lighter, and vary in vividness. Good stuff.

Attachments

Reactions: mikeyt_53

·
Registered
564 Posts
Ahh, I should've taken more than one pic, as it didn't come out as focused as I'd liked, plus I missed one. I have the same 2183. I also have a fantastic vintage Caravelle that's stainless/blue, and a modded Seiko diver.
All of these have various shades of blue dials, and depending upon the angle and light, can be darker or lighter, and vary in vividness. Good stuff.
The Japanese were (are) very good at making reflective dials in various colours and textures. Here are a couple of my Hisonics. The reflective nature makes the dials very difficult to photograph. Since we are currently about ss with blue dials I will leave my emerald green, tiger's eye and sparkly dials to a later date.
Garry
DSC03143.jpg

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the same watch. It's a 1970 Accutron "256", a good-looking model. (Rob B. serviced this one years back, as well as panel-beating a dent out of the dial).

accblue_new522.jpg

Here's an excerpt from a 1970 Bulova ad featuring the "256". (Ad via myBulova.com):

bulova_ad_1970_2.jpg

Which I (sort of) recreated using my examples of the watches:

acc_ad1970_new28blue_border1.jpg

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Garry, absolutely right. Beautiful dials. I have only one Hisonic, one I traded into from a fellow member here. Love the crisp dial on it, and case design.

Harnilton. Too funny! I fell across the vintage ad shortly after posting about my watch. I knew I'd seen an ad or catalog pic somewhere. Funny thing is, I may have taken a screenshot and relisted your recreation as the real thing! You did a fabulous job, as you even had the correct factory CK strap.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, it cleaned up well. I had it on a Corfam, blue rally strap, but the strap had too much excess at the end due to my slightly smaller than average wrist size. Cleaned the Speidel beads of rice bracelet and put it back on, and I actually like it. Comfortable and looks good.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
1 - 16 of 16 Posts