WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, my recent acquisition, while being in excellent condition appearance'wise, has the following condition - I've installed a new battery and it hums but the hands won't move on their own. I can tap the side of the case and the hands will move for a second or two and then stop. I can actually tap the case continuously and keep the second hand moving the entire revolution, although as soon as I stop the hand stops. Humming is continuous.

The movement and inside of case appear in excellent condition. No crud, corrosion, etc. The only thing I've noted (of course, I'm an Accutron rookie) is the top of the battery strap appears to be bent away a bit. I thought this might not allow perfect contact with the battery but it appears as if it's ok.

A fellow forumite (Akkatron) mentioned on a different venue that I could try something with two screws that are near the crown (lock and a cam if I recall) to excite the gear train. I'm getting ready to attempt that but thought I'd post here to hear any other suggestions.

Any help is truly appreciated. This one may have to be sent somewhere for some professional help. Hoping not though.

ArchieGoodwin
aka Eric
Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Natural material

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Akkatron is gaining great experience servicing these movements so he probably offered excellent advice. To a less experienced person, it sounds like the movement needs a cleaning, lube and setup.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Ok, my recent acquisition, while being in excellent condition appearance'wise, has the following condition - I've installed a new battery and it hums but the hands won't move on their own. I can tap the side of the case and the hands will move for a second or two and then stop. I can actually tap the case continuously and keep the second hand moving the entire revolution, although as soon as I stop the hand stops. Humming is continuous.

The movement and inside of case appear in excellent condition. No crud, corrosion, etc. The only thing I've noted (of course, I'm an Accutron rookie) is the top of the battery strap appears to be bent away a bit. I thought this might not allow perfect contact with the battery but it appears as if it's ok.

A fellow forumite (Akkatron) mentioned on a different venue that I could try something with two screws that are near the crown (lock and a cam if I recall) to excite the gear train. I'm getting ready to attempt that but thought I'd post here to hear any other suggestions.

Any help is truly appreciated. This one may have to be sent somewhere for some professional help. Hoping not though.

ArchieGoodwin
aka Eric
View attachment 34106
What happens when you bang it on the side is cause the index finger to drive the index wheel a few seconds. Not seeing the watch I would guess the battery strap to be bent more was because someone put a thinner battery in it and by bending the strap it made battery contact. I do service these if your interested.

·
Premium Member
5,732 Posts
I have actually had the very same issues with (2) 214's I have owned. On top of that, Both were (serviced) by professionals (one I sent out for service here in the US and one I bought off ebay by a so called 40 year watch repairmen. Obviously they were not serviced correctly. Your issues are the same as mine with mild differences and I had both my serviced. I sold one and want to keep the other (clean M5 spaceview but probably not original). My instinct is to send it to Bulgaria since 'all' my watches from him are turn key, no issues and they keep very good time. A good repair tech can fix you up. My One M5 Spaceview only works well if you leave it alone in the watch case but it runs 25 minutes fast every week, I put a 1.35v battery in it and it only works with that if you turn the watch upside down. Wipe the crystal with a paper towel and it quits? (static maybe?) I don't know. I love that watch, not happy with the person selling them on ebay. No excuse of such poor craftsmanship. I plan on contacting my Bulgaria Wizard to fix me up. I have total faith in him but it may take awhile. I will have way more money in this (aftermarket) spaceview then its worth but I still love the look of it.

My M2 Spaceview works perfectly and was serviced here in the US.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
When properly serviced and these issues persist, it is often the result of improper phasing. Improper alignment of the fingers sure can mess up time keeping on an Accutron. The 214 is apparently difficult for some "watchmakers" to properly phase.

·
Registered
64 Posts
When properly serviced and these issues persist, it is often the result of improper phasing. Improper alignment of the fingers sure can mess up time keeping on an Accutron. The 214 is apparently difficult for some "watchmakers" to properly phase.
If the issues persist it's because a lot of watchmakers that service Accutrons don't have the proper equipment to service or phase the watch. A lot of watchmakers think they can phase an Accutron without a good stereo microscope and using the test meter Bulova sold to watchmakers that took their one week classes. Bulova didn't use those meters themselves in their warranty centers. I own 2 warranty center meters, and have a 2 Nicon stereo scopes.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Just so you know, phasing can only account for a small increment of time lost or gained. Any significant loss in time (like 25 minutes a week), will need the tension adjusted on the fingers or a clean. A lot of times I can physically see the 2nd wheel changing speed as I rotate the cam. If it lacks tension, the jewels can skip teeth. If it's too tight, the fingers can deflect enough to misalign the engagement jewels on the end. That can also cause it to skip. I see most of the time that slow running accutrons need cleaning, and fast running accutrons need retension. This isn't always the case though.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just a short and quick update on this watch. After writing back and forth with akkatron, I decided to send it to him for repair, or possible sale. In the end, I have it back, and it's running. Thank you akkatron! I will let him pitch in if he'd like to regarding what was needed for repair, etc.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Just a short and quick update on this watch. After writing back and forth with akkatron, I decided to send it to him for repair, or possible sale. In the end, I have it back, and it's running. Thank you akkatron! I will let him pitch in if he'd like to regarding what was needed for repair, etc.
Fantastic! Can you tell us what was the problem?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hi, I told him if he shipped it to me, I'd look at it for free. If it needed great repair/cleaning (pull the gear train, clean tuning fork, oil, adjust), I'd just buy it from him and fix it in my spare time. If all it needed was readjusting, I would just do it for free. Turns out, the inside was really clean, the battery strap wasn't bad (most of mine are bent concavely to induce battery contact). The index and pawl fingers were wayyy bent. I straightened and adjusted tension, and it ran perfectly. Then I spent a few days adjusting the tuning fork regulators. I didn't charge him because I wasn't doing extensive service. I did however let him know that, eventually, it will need cleaning and service. He was about to send it back to the seller, and he said he liked the watch so that's why I helped. All in all, I got some experience, and we're both happy. I'm confident that it will continue to run. If not, at least it didn't cost him $200. :T

Working on those are no problem because I have spare parts. On my Astronaut however (yes I bought an astronaut :001_wub:), I get nervous pulling the expensive dial and GMT hand.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Needless to say, I greatly appreciate akkatron's assistance with this watch. Speaking with Santa about him right now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.