WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really not impressed with the new captchya you are required to go through to recover a password.

Sure, great for click throughs to the advertiser, but forcing me to watch the video, listen to the sales pitch, then write a sentence containing their marketing message - all to find out I typed an den dup at a dead end forcin gme to start again...yeah, not impressed...

I understand WHY its there, but, well, maybe thats the reason I haven't been here in months... *sigh*

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't get me wrong - I understand how well they work from an advertising POV and their ability to generate revenue for a website (I do work for a search engine, and have been in onlne marketing for over 15 years, after all), but this is the latest and greatest stuff.

The downside is the work it puts on the visitor who must engage with it.

I was literally thinking that if it failed to work the first time I tried it, I'd abandon this forum and go elsewhere.

It all comes down to balance: what hoops do I need to jump through, and does what I get still outweigh that.

·
Registered
20,788 Posts
That's only part of the reason, and certainly not a primary one as you only see it when you need to recover your password. The vast majority of regular members will never see it. Another benefit of it is it also makes it extremely difficult for a bot-program to register / take passwords as they can't 'listen' to the ad. I've seen the 'movie captchya' on a lot of sites recently, so it's certainly not just WTF.

As to user-convenience. Can it be a pain? Sure, but it's a once-in-a-blue-moon situation, certainly not something someone will go thru on any regular basis. Unless you're someone who just can't remember their passwords, and if it is there's always the tried & true method of writing the password down somewhere to avoid having to go thru it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.