WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
The watch looks good to me but earlier than NO, my tired old eyes can't make out the date on the back but it looks to me like it starts with an M.
I'd like to know the case number.
Like OliverB, I sure like that bracelet.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Whoops - I meant M0..........
Ah, whole different story now. Not quite certain if I detect brass color on the mvt. plate under the tuning fork. If it is brass color, definitely not an "M0" mvt. Brass plates didn't come in until the late '60s. Besides, IIRC, were there factory Spaceviews in the first year? From what I have read, the earliest ones were created to display the tuning fork mvt. Apparently, some early versions were converted with kits as demand increased and until the Spaceview was a real factory issue. I really am not familiar with all the details of authentic Spaceviews through the years and models. Others more knowledgeable need to chime in.

·
Banned
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah, whole different story now. Not quite certain if I detect brass color on the mvt. plate under the tuning fork. If it is brass color, definitely not an "M0" mvt. Brass plates didn't come in until the late '60s. Besides, IIRC, were there factory Spaceviews in the first year? From what I have read, the earliest ones were created to display the tuning fork mvt. Apparently, some early versions were converted with kits as demand increased and until the Spaceview was a real factory issue. I really am not familiar with all the details of authentic Spaceviews through the years and models. Others more knowledgeable need to chime in.
Mmmmmm....I really must do my research on these before I splurge a big chunk of $$$$. If it's not factory, fine, but price should reflect that.

The guy selling it sounds like a luddite and details are scant. And it's now $650...with 3 hours to go. Beautiful watch and strap as mentioned.

I think my first 214 will be a mint M5 (birth watch) RR or a mint M0.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Thank you Accutron, I thought it was something like that. It has been my understanding that the first Spaceviews were in Alpha cases.
It appears that someone overpaid for that watch pretty badly.

·
Registered
556 Posts
If you click on the questions section of the listing, he states it's an M5. I've looked closely at the photos and the pillar plate is not brass so it could be the real deal.

I'm sort of torn, I don't want to pay prices like that but I would love to get a decent price for the ones I decide to sell. If I pick up a non runner for $100+, get it serviced $150+ and add a nice NOS accutron SS or GF logo'd band $100+ I'd hope that it would hold it's value.

·
Premium Member
5,732 Posts
Interesting discussion. My observation: I have decided to steer away from the pricey Accutrons all together. I was blessed to have inherited my grandfathers M2 B Yellow Dot spaceview. I would not ever try to purchase one on the open market, especially at very high prices. I have noticed several Accutron repair/service websites that are selling a few Yellow Dot Spaceviews and they want anywhere from $1400.00-$2200.00. Why the huge difference in price compared to Ebay? Authenticity? It just seems too hard to determine authenticity and the more novice you are the worse it is. I have purchased several Accutrons on ebay lately, not really caring about originality. One of my favorites I have bought has come from oliverb's repair guy in Bulgaria. Its a very simple 218 accutron but operates so smoothly an keeps time better then any other accutron I own. I love these watches and will buy a few more as time goes on but I will not try to be an expert and pay outrageous prices for a watch I really can't determine as all original.

·
Banned
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Interesting discussion. My observation: I have decided to steer away from the pricey Accutrons all together. I was blessed to have inherited my grandfathers M2 B Yellow Dot spaceview. I would not ever try to purchase one on the open market, especially at very high prices. I have noticed several Accutron repair/service websites that are selling a few Yellow Dot Spaceviews and they want anywhere from $1400.00-$2200.00. Why the huge difference in price compared to Ebay? Authenticity? It just seems too hard to determine authenticity and the more novice you are the worse it is. I have purchased several Accutrons on ebay lately, not really caring about originality. One of my favorites I have bought has come from oliverb's repair guy in Bulgaria. Its a very simple 218 accutron but operates so smoothly an keeps time better then any other accutron I own. I love these watches and will buy a few more as time goes on but I will not try to be an expert and pay outrageous prices for a watch I really can't determine as all original.
I agree. The price differential is silly. I can't understand paying that sort of money for a spaceview.

And yeah - one of my favs is my first. A perfect, humble little S.S M7 218 with white dial silver roman numerals, which has stopped working and will soon be in Bulgaria. I have a Woody (also stopped - also Bulgaria bound) which I find I really really want to love more than I actually do........maybe when it's back from Bulgaria....but it has broken links in the band I didn't know about when I bought it :scared:

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I believe that, if you shop carefully and look closely before jumping, you can still find some bargains on Accutrons but you have to be patient. There is a particular Accutron I want to buy, a couple of people here know what it is. I've been looking for a decent deal on one for well over 6 months and am confident one will show up.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Sometimes it takes me a year or two before I find a Accutron I feel confident about buying. All mine get restored to showroom condition so I'm a little picky. Also almost 99% of those pricy yellow dot Spaceviews are fake. You must do your due diligence.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
if you shop carefully and look closely before jumping, you can still find some bargains on Accutrons but you have to be patient.
I second that.

I've been looking for an Accuquartz and found one on the bay. I won it yesterday at a great price. :cool1: "2240 N3" I will post pics when I receive it. :001_smile:

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
I've been looking for an Accuquartz and found one on the bay. I won it yesterday at a great price. :cool1: "2240 N3" I will post pics when I receive it. :001_smile:
If it's the one I saw from a Towson, Maryland seller, it is, indeed, a nice watch. :001_tt1: I was seriously thinking of biding on it but am really a little too deep into watches right now. :sad: All my Accuquartz mvts. are either 2241 or 2242 and I thought a 2240 would make a nice addition to my collection. If that was you, glad you got it! :thumbup1:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.