WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright...

I purchase many vintage items at a local auction and I need some help finding out if this is legit or not!

Looking at what appears to be faded gold plating, or just corrosion, I’m not sure if this is a Day Date President, or a decent looking replica. Doing my research on the Day Date President, they were not plated. They were 18k gold. If this watch is gold, is the wear on the watch consistent with how gold can wear if not properly cared for?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,477 Posts
You mean besides the cheap stamped steel bracelet with poorly stamped Rolex crown logo, poorly fitting bracelet end pieces, and a case back that is stamped pot metal rather than machined hi-grade stainless steel? Your research is correct.
Rolex DOES NOT gold plate their watches. If not made of top quality steel, they are SOLID 18k white gold or 18k yellow gold. And one of the nice things about gold is that it does not corrode!

Do everyone a favor, cut your losses, and just throw the watch away.
You aren't doing yourself any favors by wearing it, and you risk being a laughing-stock if it is worn out in public.

·
Super Moderator
15,477 Posts
You are welcome, grimshaw. That's the trouble with local auctions - it's all caveat emptor, and you don't get a chance to examine the stuff as thoroughly as you should.
Better luck next time (assuming there'll be one). :wink:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts